Leave Plugged in or not when not driving for a month

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXLeaf

What is the recommendation for a 2017 Nissan Leaf SV (30 KWH) when the car will not be driven for a month? It will be in the garage at home.

Leaved plugged in (and charged to 100% as I cannot stop the charging) ?
Unplug and leave sitting at what Battery Charge Level ?

Thanks for any help/pointers/best practices.

Leave it unplugged with SOC at 40-50%. it really all depends on what you want to do when you get home. if you need it right away and don't have time to charge, make it more. if you don't plan to go anywhere right away, 40% is the recommended

Definitely do not let is sit at high SoC for a month. Also, if you leave it plugged in a for a month, you will return to a dead 12 volt battery. Don't do that.

I agree about 80% or lower. I probably wouldn't want it to sit at much below 40% for that long.

As long as the battery is not "full" I wouldn't obsess as to whether it's at 40% or 80%, anywhere in between is fine especially in winter. Just don't leave it plugged in for a month or you'll end up with a dead 12 volt battery as cwerdna mentioned. Sounds counterintuitive, but it's true.

What I am taking away so far:
Leave it unplugged at below 80 but above 40. I am thinking to pick my sweet spot at about 60 % for now.

cwerdna said:
Definitely do not let is sit at high SoC for a month. Also, if you leave it plugged in a for a month, you will return to a dead 12 volt battery. Don't do that.
I thought this ONLY applies in the following situation:
"The 12–volt battery can become discharged if the charging timer is operated repeatedly between the Li-ion battery charges when the vehicle is not used for an extended period of time."

I don't use the charging timer at this time.

ATXLeaf said:
"The 12–volt battery can become discharged if the charging timer is operated repeatedly between the Li-ion battery charges when the vehicle is not used for an extended period of time."

I've never heard this claim before.

From everything I've seen, the problem is that if the car's plugged via the J1772 inlet, the 12 volt battery CANNOT charge via the big HV battery. Per previous discussion, the car supposedly wakes itself every 5 days to charge the 12 volt from the big battery and for some bizarre reason, that will NOT happen if the car's plugged in.

Google for site:mynissanleaf.com 12 volt battery charge days 5.

I'm looking on page EV-5 on my '13 Leaf manual and it doesn't specify the # of days. The '11 manual does mention the 5 days.

This has been discussed numerous times here before. Google for site:mynissanleaf.com 12 volt battery dead leave plugged in.

cwerdna said:
ATXLeaf said:

I've never heard this claim before.

Copied directly from the 2017 LEAF OWNER’S MANUAL page CH-22

No mention of a 5 day cycle in that one. But THX for the detailed explanation. Will keep in mind.

When the car is plugged in but not charging, the charging system verifies the connection at regular, frequent intervals, and it is supposedly this that kills the accessory battery.

ATXLeaf said:
Copied directly from the 2017 LEAF OWNER’S MANUAL page CH-22

No mention of a 5 day cycle in that one. But THX for the detailed explanation. Will keep in mind.
'17 Leaf manual on page EV-5 has the same vague verbiage as the '13 Leaf manual.
When the 12-volt battery is being charged, the
charge status indicator light on the instrument
panel flashes. (except when charging the Li-ion
battery or the power switch is in the READY to
drive position.) See Charge status indicator
light in the Charge section.

While the vehicle is not in use
When the EV system is off for an extended time,
the 12-volt battery may be automatically charged
for a short period of time on a regular basis.

'11 Leaf manual on page EV-5 has verbiage like this:
While the vehicle is not in use
When the EV (Electric Vehicle) system is off, the
12-volt battery charges automatically for 5
minutes every 5 days.
The charge timing resets to 5 days without
charging the 12-volt battery if:
. The vehicle is placed in the READY to drive
position for more than 5 minutes.
. The Li-ion battery is charged for more than 5
minutes.
When charging the 12-volt battery, the charge
status indicator light, on the instrument panel
illuminate. See “Charging status indicator lights”
in the “CH. Charging” section.

Different time period, but same question. I plan to leave my 2012 LEAF SL in the garage for one week as follows:

1- Battery tender connected to 12v battery
2- EVSE plugged in
3- Charge percent set to 80% (easy to do on the 2012)

Any issue with this scheme I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Not so much "be aware of", as why bother? The battery tender is a good idea and fine for the 12v. It's designed to maintain that battery. I do mine a couple times a month (don't entirely trust the Leaf 12v maintenance system).

The HV pack voltage is VERY stable and will not degrade at all in that short of period. It can go months if there is no draw. OTOH, have it hooked up that whole time has a higher probability of screwing up I'd say.

SalisburySam said:
Different time period, but same question. I plan to leave my 2012 LEAF SL in the garage for one week as follows:

1- Battery tender connected to 12v battery
2- EVSE plugged in
3- Charge percent set to 80% (easy to do on the 2012)

Any issue with this scheme I should be aware of?

Thanks!

unplug it and make sure 12 volt battery is disconnected. Run SOC to 50%.

My routine when I travel:

1. EV battery around 40-50%
2. 12 volt battery on battery tender - do not disconnect from car.

I’ve done the for as long as 6 weeks and have never seen EV battery drop - on my 2013, using the battery tender kept the 12 volt battery in perfect shape after 3 1/2 years.

Back