What about "frozen" batteries?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norway

In this part of the world we have the opposite problem to Phoenix! :mrgreen:

Does anybody know how the batteries perform in -20 degrees Celcuis / -4 degrees Fahrenheit?

Is there a heating system (maybe incorporated with the fan, or as heating cables) which heat the batteries, or is this not necessary?

The old VW Golf CityStromer (early EVs from the 90's by VW) blow hot air over the batteries before charging when it is cold.

Nissan tested a li ion ev in Norway for 6 years...
Prairie-EV.jpg

Gavin

Welcome Norway! go to google and seach for Nissan`s EV testing in the North Pole It appears that Nissan was able to manage the cold issue

Gavin said:
Nissan tested a li ion ev in Norway for 6 years...
Prairie-EV.jpg

Gavin

Good! Then there is only the issue of fending off the polar bears, I suppose! ;)

Thanks!

That picture is really from Ny Aalesund, which is part of Svalbard, an island off the north of Norway. It is quite weird to use Google Maps to find Ny Aalesund, because the whole page/map is just white! :mrgreen:

While the license plates have Norwegian format ("EL" and five digits), they are different colours to the ones in the rest of Norway. I've never seen them before.

stanley said:
Welcome Norway! go to google and seach for Nissan`s EV testing in the North Pole It appears that Nissan was able to manage the cold issue

Thank you!

I found it, and it's close to the North Pole, but on a polar bear infested island off the north of Norway. I'm so happy not to live there! ;)

We are still waiting for news as to when the Leaf will be available in Norway.

Norway probably has the world's largest difference between tax/duty for fossil cars and electric cars.

If I were to import a car to Norway, I could pay 150% or 200% of the value in registration tax, etc.

For an electric car, I pay ZERO. Not even sales tax. The only duty is a $250 deposit, which is returned when the car is delivered to the wrecker's.

In addition, the goverment pays for charging stations (both installing them and running them), no annual car tax, free parking in all public car parks and we can drive in the bus lane.

Norway, I have always liked your country. They are smart to support the development of EV`s as you indicated. For us ,the U S Government is just getting started but the support is growing. We have been spoiled with inexpensive gasoline. So---it will take us some time to get where your Country is.

stanley said:
Norway, I have always liked your country. They are smart to support the development of EV`s as you indicated. For us ,the U S Government is just getting started but the support is growing. We have been spoiled with inexpensive gasoline. So---it will take us some time to get where your Country is.

Thanks you!

We are one of the world's largest producers of petroleum, yet gasoline is just under 8 dollars a gallon here! (That's about standard in most of Europe.)

(On the other hand, if you work cleaning floors, your salary is about 20 dollars per hour. It's just a very different economy.)

Having visited Norway a few times (the last time in '08), I can also attest that the cars themselves are pretty darn expensive, not just the gasoline. A weekly rental can easily cost you $1,000 and my cousins who just bought a Toyota Rav4 (if I remember right) paid over $80,000 for it. Sounds like EVs would be a no-brainer in Norway with the assorted tax breaks and, better yet, all that hydro power (atleast on the west coast).

So what part of the country are you from? My family is all from the area around Sauda on the west coast.. No polar bears there! ;)

TLeaf said:
Having visited Norway a few times (the last time in '08), I can also attest that the cars themselves are pretty darn expensive, not just the gasoline. A weekly rental can easily cost you $1,000 and my cousins who just bought a Toyota Rav4 (if I remember right) paid over $80,000 for it. Sounds like EVs would be a no-brainer in Norway with the assorted tax breaks and, better yet, all that hydro power (atleast on the west coast).

So what part of the country are you from? My family is all from the area around Sauda on the west coast.. No polar bears there! ;)

Hi,

I'm born in Stavanger (close to Sauda), but I live in Oslo now.

Yes, EV purchase is very nice in Norway. There is no tax to be paid (often 180% on top of the value of the car for gas/Diesel), free charging, free parking, no annual tax (usually around $500), and we drive in the bus lanes! :) It is why I'm planning til import a Nissan Leaf from the Netherlands!

Norway said:
Does anybody know how the batteries perform in -20 degrees Celcuis / -4 degrees Fahrenheit?

Is there a heating system (maybe incorporated with the fan, or as heating cables) which heat the batteries, or is this not necessary?

Yes, Nissan is coming up with a "cold weather spec" Leaf. It will have battery heating. Check the "Battery design" thread.

evnow said:
Norway said:

Yes, Nissan is coming up with a "cold weather spec" Leaf. It will have battery heating. Check the "Battery design" thread.

I found it in the "Later in 2011 : Leaf will come in Cold Weather Spec"-thread! Thank you!

The bad news part of it is that I'll have to wait for next year before I can buy a Leaf, as the ones sold in the Netherland and Portugal will not have the cold weather spec! :cry:

I think I'll have to do unmentionable things to the local Nissan dealer to make them import the car quickly! :twisted:

Back