JFE Engineering 3 minute 50 % charge, 70% 5minute charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eldictator

Firstly hello from a newbie from the U.K!, South Yorkshire to be exact.
Anyway...
We all know about level 1, 2 and 3 charging and the compatability with the leaf.
However the large japanese steel manufacturer and general engineering conglomerate, JFE engineering are reportedly releasing their $60,000 fast charger in march 2011. The statements and reports from JFE stated a 3 minute 50% charge and a 5 minute 70% charge from zero.

Firstly, have Nissan or JFE tested this on the leaf and have they worked together in anyway?

What kind of damage if any would fast charging like this cause?

Is $60,000 too much for one charger?
what price would you pay for the privelage to charge in 3 minutes?
How much is a typical new petrol pump installation? In other words, would it be viable for petrol stations due to the 3 minute time frame?

edit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFE_Holdings

Well if that's true - this could be a game changer. Alot of people's range anxieties would be cured if they knew they could charge in 3 minutes if necessary.

But again - I'm sure it's only one charge per day. Heck if it's that fast - maybe it's one charge EVER! :)

While their charger may be capable of it, the batteries can not accept charge that fast. As such, you probably wouldn't see a LEAF charge much faster than 20 min to 80% on that machine.... However, having those machines available is good as battery development moves forward and the batteries grow in capacity and charge acceptance.

As far as I've read the reports look pretty solid, this is a fairly large company that deals in Chemicals,engineering etc
Using current batteries It would be a hell of a strain and would probably speed up degradation, but how much? more than standard level 3, or the same? There isn't much info.
A game changer for sure though.

Back