Clipper Creek ECS-16

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch672

http://www.clippercreek.com/documents/PDF/operation_manuals/ClipperCreek_ECS-15_Brochure.pdf

"designed for the European market", it's a 16A, 230V portable EVSE (notably, 3.3KW, exactly sized for the Leaf V1's charger), has what looks to be a European AC connector (which could be adapted to a North American 6-20). It does say "50hz", but I wonder if that really matters? If not, there is your "240V portable EVSE" :)

Was there a price and availability yet?
UL listed yet?

Two in-line units, one for 120v USA use, and one (about) 230v "EU" use, it seems.

Except for the plug to the wall socket, a unit could be easily designed as one dual-voltage unit, I believe.

For the Wizards out there:

Is there any reason why the manufacture can not make a multi voltage model at little or no extra cost? A big difference YES!, but my Iphone charger works at home on 120/60 and with a plug adapter in the UK on 240/50. This Iphone adapter is a low priced special I paid less than $5.00 for the unit. The plug adapter cost twice as much, but I bought at Radio Shack!

YES, that is what I am trying to encourage.

Except for the wall "plug" on the unit's pigtail, I believe a dual-voltage design would be easy.

Perhaps of little use in the EU, to "plug-in-anywhere" it would require socket adapters here in the USA.

The unit with the EU plug could take adapters for use here, with one adapter for 120v and about 5 or 6 adapters for the common 240v sockets.

Then, using a 50-amp (A/C type?) contactor and wiring, and adding a setting for Max-Current (Control Pilot) to select 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, and 40 amps, and we would have the first EVSE that is:

portable all-in-one,
global use,
inline plug-in anywhere,
L1 and L2,
use with any-current circuit breaker (10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 50)
compact,
light weight.

Hey I have an idea. How can we be so sure the portable EVSE that's included with the LEAF is not already dual-voltage, and Nissan simply puts a different plug on the cord depending on where it's headed? It costs less for Nissan to make them all the same, so I wonder if they might already be dual-voltage. After all, the only thing that's voltage-dependent in an EVSE is the circuit that produces the pilot signal, and there's a good chance it's powered by a 85-250V switching supply like most adapters are now. Anyone take a good look at the control box on it? It should say.

johnr said:
Hey I have an idea. How can we be so sure the portable EVSE that's included with the LEAF is not already dual-voltage, and Nissan simply puts a different plug on the cord depending on where it's headed? It costs less for Nissan to make them all the same, so I wonder if they might already be dual-voltage. After all, the only thing that's voltage-dependent in an EVSE is the circuit that produces the pilot signal, and there's a good chance it's powered by a 85-250V switching supply like most adapters are now. Anyone take a good look at the control box on it? It should say.

Not sure about the GFI implications.

They also make an LCS 20 which provides level II charging on a 20 amp 220 volt circuit. Could be the answere. Have not seen pricing, but I live just a few miles from their headquarters in Auburn, CA

http://www.clippercreek.com/documents/PDF/operation_manuals/ClipperCreek_LCS-20.pdf

johnr said:
I argued that a long time ago (3 months?) in another thread. :p

The LCS-20 is a hardwired unit, it's not designed to be portable.

The U.S. Leaf is already going to come with a L1 120V EVSE, so a unit capable of 120 or 240 charging really isn't needed..

What you need is a portable L2 240V EVSE, that can charge at the full 3.3KW rate (16A @ 230V),
this unit does that. It doesn't matter if it can handle higher current, because the V1 Leaf will never need it, and even if they could make one, it would be even more expensive, requiring a larger capacity GFI, larger contactor and larger wiring to handle higher current.

This unit is ideal for the Leaf V1, I thought I would point it out to you, as I'm probably not getting a Leaf myself.

Gary, why don't you contact Clipper Creek and get the pricing, and see if it will work at 60hz...

electriclarry said:
For the Wizards out there:

Is there any reason why the manufacture can not make a multi voltage model at little or no extra cost? A big difference YES!, but my Iphone charger works at home on 120/60 and with a plug adapter in the UK on 240/50. This Iphone adapter is a low priced special I paid less than $5.00 for the unit. The plug adapter cost twice as much, but I bought at Radio Shack!

Electrical devices don't care too much if they're run at 50hz or 60hz. The only ones that sometimes do are the ones with motors - a motor designed to run at 50hz will run a bit faster if plugged into 60hz.

garygid said:
On price and availability, Clipper Creek says that their two portable,
plug-in units are only availale to OEM buyers.

That's just dumb. I'm sure some enterprising distributor will eventually stock them.
This whole EVSE thing is a big scam, they only want to mfr them if they are guaranteed to sell a massive qty to 1 customer.

Just in case you are interested in the Continental European plug with an extension cord that come with the Nissan Leaf for Portugal I just test this afternoon.
caboleaf.jpg

He used an extension cord... That's 2 of the 3 connectors in the picture,

Interesting, that Nissan control box looks EXACTLY the same as the Clipper Creek unit.
Coincidence? I think not.

mitch672 said:
He used an extension cord... That's 2 of the 3 connectors in the picture,

Interesting, that Nissan control box looks EXACTLY the same as the Clipper Creek unit.
Coincidence? I think not.

Exactly. That's why I put the pic on the forum.

garygid said:
Interested, ... YES!

I see three connectors, that is confusing.
Please explain.

Can you get a price on it there yet?

I see four connectors. One belongs to the exgtension cord and the other with the big box to plug in the leaf and the other end to the extension cord.

I don't think Nissan will sell it for now. Maybe later. What you see come with the Nissan Leaf car I tested this afternoon

ruimegas said:
I don't think Nissan will sell it for now. Maybe later. What you see come with the Nissan Leaf car I tested this afternoon

I think there is some good commercial opportunities for someone to get it from EU and sell them in the US (ebay ?).

I contacted Clipper Creek about price and availability this morning by email and they were very quick to respond.

The ECS will not operate in the US and is in violation of NEC code.

The LCS will not be available until Q1 2011 and we have not finalized pricing.

Back