bzalex
Delivery Date: 14 Apr 2017

Re: The Aftermarket Traction Battery Thread

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:04 am

I dont know russian, but from what I've understood, the 24KWh battery works with erasing only some DTC error codes on the 30KWh Leaf, but the 30KWh battery works on 24KWh Leaf only after they changed some module(s) too.

jsa061
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2013

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:16 am

bzalex wrote:I dont know russian, but from what I've understood, the 24KWh battery works with erasing only some DTC error codes on the 30KWh Leaf, but the 30KWh battery works on 24KWh Leaf only after they changed some module(s) too.

I have asked the guys in a different video. See comments from Jostein Sand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHLddeI ... 7125752645

They confirmed that if you buy VCM and battery from same it should work.
I have actually just bought this combination myself and is waiting for delivery. It's gonna be a garage project DIY-style so it could take some time but I will report back to this thread when there is progress.
2014 Nissan LEAF Tekna 30 kWh

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 am

jsa061 wrote:...They confirmed that if you buy VCM and battery from same it should work.
I have actually just bought this combination myself and is waiting for delivery. It's gonna be a garage project DIY-style so it could take some time but I will report back to this thread when there is progress.

Looking forward to it.
no condition is permanent

bzalex

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:16 am

Me too.

NiallDarwin
Delivery Date: 12 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 004321

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:06 pm

bzalex wrote:Me too.

Me three! Keep us updated.

The video you linked to showed them making use of Nissan's Consult III tool. Do you have access to this?

jake14mw
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2017

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:02 am

jsa061 wrote:
bzalex wrote:I dont know russian, but from what I've understood, the 24KWh battery works with erasing only some DTC error codes on the 30KWh Leaf, but the 30KWh battery works on 24KWh Leaf only after they changed some module(s) too.

I have asked the guys in a different video. See comments from Jostein Sand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHLddeI ... 7125752645

They confirmed that if you buy VCM and battery from same it should work.

Please report back when you can. Thanks!

jsa061

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Allright, so I'm finally done. It was a little more work then I expected but that's what you get when you are an optimist. I changed the battery in my own garage and in hindsight I wish I had invested in better, taller jack stands. The car needs about 70 cm ground clearance, at least if you are going to take out the battery from the back of the car.

After the car had the proper height it was actually not to difficult getting the battery out. I used a lifting table on wheels that I borrowed from a friend. ( Minimum height of table was 34 cm, battery pack is about 26 cm. And some extra cm penalty for taking the battery out from the back of the car) .Then it's easy to support the battery as you unscrew the bolts. Of course, you need to unload the old battery and get the new one on the table - there is some logistic there that took some time as well.

Another issue I had that took a long time figuring out was how to remove the main battery cable. Nissan has made some crazy patent that involves first pressing really hard on one side of the cable-release-mechanism , pull a little and then press another place. Why?

Swapping out the VCM was one of the easier parts of the operation. You just have to remove all the screws you can find on the inside and outside of the glove department and take the hole thing out. Than it's straight forward.

After swapping the battery and the VCM I of course wanted to test the car only to find out I got a lot of error messages. It all boiled down to that the keys need to be registered in the VCM. It's a straight forward procedure that has to do with Nissan immobilizer system. I got no error regarding incorrect battery ID or anything in that regards ( Leaf Spy pro). The range and everything was displaying correctly but it was not possible to get the car out of Park. This is where my part of the job ended. I had to tow the car ( front wheels were locked so I just called the professionals) to Nissan and they actually were quite helpful. They registered the keys with the VCM and now everything is working properly except the app. I'm not able to preheat the car or read out the battery information using the Nissan app. Interestingly, I can see my driving history on the app.

Some pictures:

bzalex

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:47 pm

That's great news. Pity you had the troubles with the keys.
I wonder if it would be possible to buy the VCM together with the paired keys ?

jsa061

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:31 am

I actually got hold of keys from the same donor car as the battery and the vcm. You still have a problem because now you have some units, BCM for instance, that's using the old keys and VCM that's using the new. So unless you are planning to change all boxes related to Nissan immobilizer you need to program the boxes. I got a tip that you can use unofficial tools for this job. This one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OBDSTAR ... 10187.html

In any case. Registering you keys with the VCM is a 5 min job for Nissan. It shouldn't be a problem .

Return to “Batteries & Charging”