Best Charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrich

Hi all,
I'm new here, but reserved a Leaf back in May. I was told today I can't place an order until likely January, but I want to get the Level 2 charger now so as to take advantage of the tax benefits that expire 12/31/10.

So, now to decide which one to get as their are many options. My requirements are:

1) Smart metering capable
2) Internet/smart phone interface capable (for monitoring, sending instructions, etc)

I've already waived my home assessment through Nissan as the AV model is too expensive, based on what I've read here.

Also, I was told by Nissan the only Leaf Certified chargers are:
1) AV
2) Coloumb
2) Ecotality

Are there any disadvantages to using other brands, such as voiding warranties or loss of features?

Thanks,
Tim

tgrich said:
Also, I was told by Nissan the only Leaf Certified chargers are:
1) AV
2) Coloumb
2) Ecotality

Welcome to the forum. I'm new here too. (have been lurking a while, and only recently started posting)

These aren't chargers, by the way. The charger is onboard the LEAF. These are electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE).

These units are UL-listed, and Ecotality is an EVProject partner with Nissan. These facts probably have more to do with the certification, than lack of any features. As more UL-listed units come on the market, Nissan will likely test them and add them to the list.

Richard
Glacier White SL w QC Port

Many of us are still waiting for more choices, like Leviton or possibly EVCA.

Apparently you want a higher-function EVSE, like the Blink used in the EVProject.

Generally, you will not need to "command" the EVSE, since one can "set" timers in the LEAF, or "command" it.

Why do you need/want the meter function?

For smart metering you better contact your utility supplier. A standard TOU meter and EV billing schedule should be all you need. Some may have a second meter as an available option.

Just saying the smart meter stuff might be for your info only unless the utility company is on board.

As far as all the communications it is my understanding the Leaf can control all that.....
I am looking for a super basic evse with no features and just enough to power the Leaf. Mostly looking at 16a Leviton but no price or availability yet.

The EVSE is not a charger, the charger is on the car. To reduce confusion it would be helpful if people called it an EVSE or Dock, etc. The EVSE is in NO way a charger. There is quite a bit of discussion on the EVSE info forum about this topic and it is best to keep that discussion there. It is also helpful to post questions in existing threads, even related threads as they will get responses rather than using threads to ask questions. In fact, posting in any thread here will likely get a useful response and reduce clutter in new threads.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=668

to tgrich's question:

like evdriver said, read the EVSE related posts for more info

the important thing is that it meets the J1772 standard, and UL listing for safety, more than Nissan testing.

if you wait until closer to your delivery date, you will likely have more and cheaper choices.

If I was buying a L2 EVSE, I would look first to Leviton - they are a long standing electrical supply company who will be around to back up their products, and are familiar to your local electricians.

Back