What is the status of LA/OC Public Charging Infrastructure?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRONZ

Has anyone heard about the status of Public Charging Infrastructure for LA/Orange County? It is the general understanding that LEAF's will be landing in two months... which is not very far away in the "construction" world. Has anyone seen a plan for LA/Orange County yet? I have seen the plan for San Diego County and it looks like some new J1772 chargers are now online. ;) Any news/maps regarding LA/OC would be appreciated.

No, I haven't seen anything, but I did hear the speaker from Ecotality and the EV Project at the San Diego meeting on Monday night. I specifically asked the question about placement of public chargers in Orange County. His response was that they are close to announcing the locations of public Level 2 and DC fast chargers and to stay in touch with Ecotality by checking their web site or by emailing them for updates. It sounded like they are a few weeks away from announcing at least some of the locations.

Note that the EV Project is not the only program that will be installing public chargers, so we'll need some central resource for providing maps of all available stations.

Here is the current EV-Project charging map... a few dozen stations installed in San Diego, big zipp for LA/OC.

http://www.theevproject.com/charging-maps.php

ECOtality has already created their proposed charging plans for San Diego and Western Oregon..... :? Western Oregon?!?! uuuuhm... OK, largest US cities; #2-LA, #8-San Diego,........ #30-Portland? Is it just me or did ECO somehow skip 4 million people? Heavy sigh.

I have seen a few signs on the freeway to charge. Costco seems to have the old GM paddle junk and is broken.
I do know South Coast Plaza has a couple L2/L1 spaces over in the west parking structure.

Has anyone seen or talked about this site :
http://www.evchargernews.com/#regions
It seems to have alot of info on chargers in LA and OC
What exactly is the type of connector that we will use to charge our leafs in level 2 charging?
I see LPI, AVCON, SPI. What should we be looking for?

hobbyguy said:
Has anyone seen or talked about this site :
http://www.evchargernews.com/#regions
It seems to have alot of info on chargers in LA and OC
What exactly is the type of connector that we will use to charge our leafs in level 2 charging?

I wrote this post a couple months ago. It addresses the upgrade of the existing stations in California.

hobbyguy said:
I believe you should be looking for "J1772" or "DCQ" (DC quick charger).
The others are Large Paddle Inductive (LPI, Small Paddle Inductive (SPI), etc. They will only work with the older EVs.
TS is for the Tesla connector in case you have one of those!

DCQ is the DC Quick Charge (an option in the LEAF SL model). This is the (approximately) 80% charge in 30 minutes "e-pump". Good for way-point charging to facilitate e-roaming, adding about 2 "fast" miles per minute to your "e-tank" (battery), but only to about 80% full.

The J1772 is our "Level 2" EVSE "charging dock", or e-fuel "pump". This is a 240v ("Level 2") charge-dock for the initial LEAF's "3.3 kW" (8-hour) internal charger. Good for end-point or "Stay Awhile" charging, adding about 1 mile per 5 minutes (12 "LA4" miles per hour) to your "e-tank".

Back