DIY EVSE Pre-Wiring and Outlet from New EV Meter (SCE)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRONZ

With the arrival of LEAF's quickly approaching I have decided to seriously explore the DIY approach to an EVSE install. Here is my thinking based on facts I have collected; I am 99% sure that I want a dedicated second meter for EV charging. This will get us the cheapest energy rate but also dramatically simplify our installation. I have found out that SCE (SoCal Edison) will install a dedicated second EV meter free of charge after our wiring has passed a final inspection. I have also found out that the new meter will have its own breaker panel and therefore NOT require me to buy a second panel since mine is full anyways. The EVSE will be on its own circuit branching off before the house panel and directly from the main line in. Therefore, if I simply install a new 240v (washer/dryer) 4x4 outlet in the garage and run 1" conduit (w. black #8 wire) to where the new meter is to be installed, I can have this work inspected on my own. I have also found out that you can get a "rough" inspection prior to completing your work and get feedback/direction straight from your electrical inspector. Since this is all done on a new line that is not even connected yet (SCE comes out AFTER final inspection) there is no safety risk to you or your home. After the new outlet IS inspected and passes SCE will come out and make the final hot connection. The inspector does NOT need to see the EVSE since the outlet is complete and passed inspection.

My first question is this; do I need to pull a permit to run conduit along a wall to a new 240v outlet? It would seem that the final inspection IS the permit for SCE to come out and do the tricky work. I will try to find this out from my local building dept but feel free to comment and make suggestions.

smkettner said:
I am wondering if Edison will require a hardwired evse to ensure there are no other items drawing off the second meter.

This is a question and would certainly change when SCE can come out to do the final hookup. This would also be a very good question for each unique inspector as I have heard some want to see the EVSE and others are fine with a box outlet to pass final. The good news is that either way it would not really change the cost of the install just the order in which things are done. It would be nice to get some receipts generated this year for the EVSE Tax credit since there is no guarantee next year.

I think the hard part of what you're describing (at least with my own installation) would be connecting the second meter pedestal to the service feed. My feed is underground, and it would be a ton of work to "tap" into it per code before it goes to my existing meter.

Is your service feed underground or overhead?

Randy said:
I think the hard part of what you're describing (at least with my own installation) would be connecting the second meter pedestal to the service feed. My feed is underground, and it would be a ton of work to "tap" into it per code before it goes to my existing meter.

Is your service feed underground or overhead?

The new second meter is done entirely by SCE in the utility closet next to my garage. All the raw feeds are in there. All I need to do is supply the #8 wire for SCE to hook up. They do all the rest.

Made some progress today. Stopped by the Aliso Viejo Building Dept to see about pulling a Permit. I sketched up a plan for the Inspector and did the paperwork. Now I am just waiting to hear back from my HOA to see if they want to be involved or not (likely not), then I will pull it. My Permit fee is $46 and it is good for 6months. Now I am going to compile a materials list from Home Depot.

Are you in Orange County? I would be very interested in hearing your experience with this. I am not a DIYer but I am interested in not getting ripped off by Aeroviroment even if 50% is offset by tax dollars.

I am not interested in lining the pockets of Aerovironment which makes unmanned drones-- perhaps of the sort that kill people in Pakistan and Afghanistan..

Does anyone have an electrician to recommend? My understanding is the second meter is put in free of charge by So Cal Edison.

After you have installed the outlet and you get a hookup from SoCalEdison which attaches to the dryer outlet, do you have to buy something that hooks from the dryer outlet to a charging unit (i.e. an EVSE)? If so, where are you getting that? Do you need another inspection for that?

I have used Ace Electric http://www.aceoc.com/ and they have done fine by me.

Plan to change the prewired 14-50r to a 6-20r and plug in my to be aquired Leviton 16a evse.
Will also change the breaker from 40a to 20a. Then call Edison to put the meter in.

I would like to see a pic of an added EV meter if anyone has one.

smkettner said:
I have used Ace Electric http://www.aceoc.com/ and they have done fine by me.

Plan to change the prewired 14-50r to a 6-20r and plug in my to be aquired Leviton 16a evse.
Will also change the breaker from 40a to 20a. Then call Edison to put the meter in.

I would like to see a pic of an added EV meter if anyone has one.

Thanks for pointing out that 6-20r receptacle. The Leviton 16a EVSE is definitely a top contender so this will be my receptacle of choice. If SCE wants to know the EVSE I plan to use I will just give them the Leviton 16a cut-sheet. If for some reason I go with some other EVSE then so be it.

Looked at the 6-20R today at Home Depot. It was Leviton brand and said max #10 wire. I have #8 wire and I am sure it would be a pain to connect.
I might make an adapter to the existing 14-50R or if the Leviton evse box opens I may change the cord to match the 14-50R.

smkettner said:
Looked at the 6-20R today at Home Depot. It was Leviton brand and said max #10 wire. I have #8 wire and I am sure it would be a pain to connect.
I might make an adapter to the existing 14-50R or if the Leviton evse box opens I may change the cord to match the 14-50R.

that's why "wire nuts" where invented :) Just splice on a 6" piece of #12AWG to each lead, and connect.
max current on that outlet is 20A, so #12 wire is fine, #10 is even oversized...

Would that pass code? The breaker would be 20a so it would be safe but I don't like it.

Is there a 6-20R with back wire that might accept #8? Bending wire around side screws is not my favorite anyway.

If your so picky, you can always get crimp on connectors for the #8 wires with spades on them, then screw them to the outlet. You want me to come over there and do the job? :)
only J/K

smkettner said:
Would that pass code? The breaker would be 20a so it would be safe but I don't like it.
Absolutely and it is done all the time. For example if you need to upsize your wiring for the voltage drop on a long run.

Cheers, Wayne

smkettner said:

Is there a 6-20R with back wire that might accept #8? Bending wire around side screws is not my favorite anyway.

Leave the existing outlet and make adaptors for the EVSE and you can use it on the other dryer outlets.

smkettner said:
Install a dounle gang box with a reducer ring so you have room to splice 12 or 10 ga. "pigtails" to the 8 ga conductors.

The box is all installed with finished drywall by the builder. I just want it neat clean and to code so when Edison comes out with my meter there will be no issues.

I want to see the Leviton evse at this point. I kinda want to extend the cord a bit anyway even if that is pushing the letter of NEC.
I will probably wirenut a couple #10 tails on the end of the #8.

Anyway it is on hold again until I can get the evse. Waiting is tough.

OK my HOA Property Manager "punted" my question (if the HOA wants to be involved) to the Board. So now I will go the the Board meeting, on the 2nd, and they will stare blankly at me not having a clue what I am talking about. I bet the Board will "punt" it back to the PM again. It all seems really silly since it is basically SCE just doing some work to connect an inspected outlet. Heavy sigh. :cry:

Some pictures of the existing equipment, and then more pictures with paper cut-outs of the new stuff taped up, will probably help.

Often pictures are better than words, like:
They will add one of THESE right HERE and run a conduit like THIS through THIS area (where the ROPE is strung), to add a socket like THIS right about HERE.

Load on system, OK.
Paying for it, OK.
Paying for the Electricity, OK.
Locked for access control, OK.
Safety issues, OK.
Liability issues, OK.

That should cover it.
(just thinking out loud)

TRONZ, Please post your picture/plan here if you ever make one for your HOA, as I am trying to get SCE to install a second meter but they want my electrician to install a panel on the outside first?!?

Back