HYPOTHETICAL: Bicycle Generator charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdub

Here's a fun hypothetical for you who are better versed on the math and science:

How long would it take to charge a LEAF using a pedal powered bicycle generator? How about 2 or 3 or 4 of them?

Here's some data that I found from http://www.windstreampower.com/Bike_Power_Generator.php:

The average person can expect to produce in the range of 80 to 150 watts sustainably, charging variably at between 7A - 16A. The Bike Power Generator has been designed with a generator capable of handling 20A of current. When used to charge a 12 Volt battery, this produces a maximum PEAK power output of around 275 Watts (13.6 V x 20A = 272W) or just over a third of one horsepower (One horsepower is equal to 746 Watts).One can expect the peak output only in very short bursts. Power output depends entirely on the person pedaling

While it is possible to directly power some DC appliances such as water pumps, the Bike Power Generator is primarily designed to charge a deep cycle, 12-Volt battery or to contribute to a 12 Volt battery bank. Most household appliances require alternating current (AC) which requires a DC to AC inverter (see our Portable Power Pack). Certain DC appliances, such as DC lights, can be powered directly, but it is important to observe maximum voltage ratings to avoid damaging these appliances. It is usually necessary to use a voltage regulator or carefully monitor output with a voltmeter or multimeter. The output of a permanent magnet DC generator is variable - based on rpm and load.

Fun thought experiment huh?

What if you were towing a trailer full of people pedaling? Could you pedal fast enough to maintain speed? haha :) Doesn't sound too safe though. :)

Roughly three people peddling simultaneously for an hour could charge the LEAF for one mile of distance.

I guess I'll have to have them run an extension cord to the parking lot at the YMCA so the power doesn't go to waste when I'm on the exercise bike. :) A good incentive, the longer I ride, the more charge the car gets...

indyflick said:
Roughly three people peddling simultaneously for an hour could charge the LEAF for one mile of distance.
Yes - shows how bad the efficiency of a car is - and how good bikes are in that department !

cdub said:
indyflick said:

Crazy. What if Lance was peddling? ;)

Iirc, Lance could SUSTAIN power of 450 watts and a peak well over 600.

Nubo said:
cdub said:
indyflick said:

Crazy. What if Lance was peddling? ;)

Iirc, Lance could SUSTAIN power of 450 watts and a peak well over 600.

so, maybe Lance should equip his Leaf with a bicyle generator in the passenger seat, then someone can drive his Leaf with him in it as the passenger, partially recharging it :)

I've been accused of bringing too much mathiness to this forum, but wth.

If Lance can pump 400W continuously (hot damn!), then a whole hour of sweaty superhuman Lance workout in the passenger seat will need to paired with a special driver. One with with lightning reflexes to pilot the Leaf at.... 2mph.

Looks like 3 manpower = 1 horsepower.

The next green movement would be to hook up all the exercise machines to generate electricity. 20 persons exercising would give 7 horsepowers, almost 5 kW. The exercise centers should be equipped to run the meter backwards. ;-)

greenleaf said:
Looks like 3 manpower = 1 horsepower.

The next green movement would be to hook up all the exercise machines to generate electricity. 20 persons exercising would give 7 horsepowers, almost 5 kW. The exercise centers should be equipped to run the meter backwards. ;-)

They'd barely have enough power to run the lights over their head. And it would be 4-5 people per horsepower for the average gym rat.

lol amazing!@! why not just ride the bike?

problem is that the amount of work will increase with the voltage, so a step up of sorts would be needed. in high school we did an experiment (this was waaaay before conservation was a topic but then again Carter was talking about it!!) it was a deserted island thing. we found that generating 12 volts was relatively effortless and nearly everyone could do it, but generating higher voltages required a pretty high level of constant energy output that most of us could not do for more than 10 minutes or so.

palmermd said:
They'd barely have enough power to run the lights over their head. And it would be 4-5 people per horsepower for the average gym rat.

At 14W a cfl bulk. 5kw can power some 350 bulbs.

Back