Phoenix Chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonewild

Here is the link to Ecotality's new chargers being installed in Phoenix.

http://ecotality.com/newsletter/images/Potential%20Locations%20Level%202.jpg

Apparently this map of L2 EVSE charge-station locations is intentionally vague, to the point of being essentially useless.

The L3 (DC QC) locations would be more useful.

Vague at this point, but hey, 940 level 2 chargers is going be be freaking sweet!

I hope they put a fast charger in Cordes Junction so I can drive to Prescott.

There's already a charging station in Casa Grande so I can almost guarantee this will be converted to J1772. Phoenix to Tucson will be easy :D

As an EV driver from 1999-2005 I would like to say that seeing that many chargers being installed is just incredible. In the early 2000's you could fit the list of public chargers in the Phoenix area onto a business card. In the past we would go out of our way just to plug in. Sometimes it was the adventure to go to a charger location just to go somewhere different. It is still hard for me to understand why people have "range anxiety" considering the range rating of the LEAF and combined with so many public chargers. Our previous EV's were lucky to have 40 miles range and a handful of chargers to go to. To have 100 miles range along with 940 220V and 40 480V chargers is what most of us previous EV drivers were only hoping, but never thought would, happen.

Typical "Master Plan" broad brush info. At least they now have something... still waiting on something for that "little" town of LA :roll: .

Seems to me that the "high probability spots" are generally within about 20 miles of where most people in the metro area live. I'm not sure I see the point, when i'll just be able to charge at home. :?

Mdg56 said:
Seems to me that the "high probability spots" are generally within about 20 miles of where most people in the metro area live. I'm not sure I see the point, when i'll just be able to charge at home. :?

Probably so people can charge while shopping, and don't forget there will be many Leaf owners living in apartment buildings without charging infrastructure as well.

I see "Mohave county" is off the map, figures, off course that's where my retirement property is (Meadview, AZ)

I do think it is being way overdone, to the detriment of the rest of the country, no doubt.

Don't forget that they want PHEVs (like the Volt and Prius) to plug in whenever they can, too. Otherwise those vehicles will be switching over to gas a lot more frequently.

It's pretty easy to imagine draining the Volt's battery fairly frequently on a trip with 40 mi range.

And even easier to drain the Prius battery with 12 mi range - with that kind of EV range I'd want to plug in nearly everywhere.

I expect to see Level 2 chargers used mostly by PHEVs and Level 3 chargers used mostly by EVs.

drees said:
Don't forget that they want PHEVs (like the Volt and Prius) to plug in whenever they can, too. Otherwise those vehicles will be switching over to gas a lot more frequently.

It's pretty easy to imagine draining the Volt's battery fairly frequently on a trip with 40 mi range.

And even easier to drain the Prius battery with 12 mi range - with that kind of EV range I'd want to plug in nearly everywhere.

I expect to see Level 2 chargers used mostly by PHEVs and Level 3 chargers used mostly by EVs.

All charging spaces will be marked with an EV parking only sign and to park there you must have an EV/alt. fuel plate. Since they PHEV's are still hybirds they do not qualify for alt. fuel plates, therefore, they cannot park/charge in the designated spaces. Legally, any Volts or other PHEV's parking in EV spaces can be towed and fined.

For a PHEV electricity is a convenience, not a necessity.

Back