Charging on Rainy days

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every possible safety consideration has been made. The charging will be perfectly safe even if in hard driving rain with all components soaked and wet.
But still I would not lick the thing either ;)

i have a Zenn, been charging in the rain for 3 years. around here, all outdoor plugs must be GFCI. that pretty much eliminates much of the risk of electrical shock

I've been charging my Xebra in both rain or shine outside. Not worried. Unless you're dropping the extension cord into a puddle or something, I don't see how it can be a problem. It's not like a drop or two of rain will short the connections or anything.

You could be standing barefoot in a puddle of water and stick a hairpin into the connector, and nothing would happen. There is no electricity at the connector until a signal connection is made between the charger in the car and the EVSE on the wall (or the little EVSE built into the 120v charging cord). The prongs are designed so that the signal connection is the last contact made when you plug the connector into the car and the first contact broken when you unplug it.

blorg said:
I've been charging my Xebra in both rain or shine outside. Not worried. Unless you're dropping the extension cord into a puddle or something, I don't see how it can be a problem. It's not like a drop or two of rain will short the connections or anything.

and that would void any warranty. extension cords are no no's. if you have the need, just get a heavy duty cord if you needs are that far away. my Zenn comes with a 25 footer. plenty long enough for me.

there are several businesses who offer courtesy charging well marked by signage that is apparently easy to ignore. many a time i have parked 2-3 spaces away from the charging spot and was still able to stretch the distance.

DaveinOlyWA said:
blorg said:

and that would void any warranty. extension cords are no no's. if you have the need, just get a heavy duty cord if you needs are that far away. my Zenn comes with a 25 footer. plenty long enough for me.

there are several businesses who offer courtesy charging well marked by signage that is apparently easy to ignore. many a time i have parked 2-3 spaces away from the charging spot and was still able to stretch the distance.

Pardon me, when I said "extension cord" I was referring to my 10-gauge 8' long power cord that came with my Xebra for charging. Not sure exactly what the difference is in your mind between "extension cord" and "heavy duty cord". I've seen many heavy gauge "cords" available that are perfectly adequate for the QuickCharger in my Xebra. Granted, it's not a powerhouse like the Leaf, but I certainly wouldn't use a 150' 20-gauge cord.

And as for Warranty, any Xebra owner will laugh at the idea of a warranty. Sure, Zap has one, but anyone that has tried to get Zap to cover anything has pretty much given up, so I'm not the least bit concerned about my Zap warranty. For the Leaf, on the other hand, that warranty is going to be pretty important in my mind... :)

blorg said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
blorg said:

Pardon me, when I said "extension cord" I was referring to my 10-gauge 8' long power cord that came with my Xebra for charging. Not sure exactly what the difference is in your mind between "extension cord" and "heavy duty cord". I've seen many heavy gauge "cords" available that are perfectly adequate for the QuickCharger in my Xebra. Granted, it's not a powerhouse like the Leaf, but I certainly wouldn't use a 150' 20-gauge cord.

And as for Warranty, any Xebra owner will laugh at the idea of a warranty. Sure, Zap has one, but anyone that has tried to get Zap to cover anything has pretty much given up, so I'm not the least bit concerned about my Zap warranty. For the Leaf, on the other hand, that warranty is going to be pretty important in my mind... :)

wow yours is only 8'?? bummer. my comment is based your saying "extension cord in a puddle" which implies the actual connection is lying on the ground. for any situation when the only two connections are the one to the car and the one to the power source, there are no water issues unless one of the two is under water.

I just want to say RVs have been plugged into 30a 120v and 50a 240v outlets rain or shine for 50+ years and it is generally a non issue.
And yes RVs have large batteries to charge and everything else in the house to run continuously.
All this with no GFI, pilot signal, fault protection or turning off power before connecting or disconnecting.

Back