4 wire pigtail and only 3 places to wire to? Bosch evse

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casemann27

So I bought a pigtail to wire up my bosch EVSE. However the outlet and the plug are 4 prong and the evse only has 3 spots for wires. Where does the 4 wire go. Do I wire the re black and white and pigtail the green to the white.

First things first: If you don't know what to wire up, hire an electrician

that being said, a 240V EVSE won't need neutral. My electrician ran a hot-hot-neutral-ground wire to the location but only wired hot-hot-ground at the EVSE. But that is not a pigtail. I don't know what he did with the neutral wire at either end.

When I made the 14-50 adapter for my EVSEupgrade I physically removed the neutral pin.

I'm all for DIY, but I have to agree with the previous poster: if you don't know what you're doing around lethal voltages/currents (and you didn't even identify the outlet/plug type in your OP), hire someone who does.

Casemann27 said:
So I bought a pigtail to wire up my bosch EVSE. However the outlet and the plug are 4 prong and the evse only has 3 spots for wires. Where does the 4 wire go. Do I wire the re black and white and pigtail the green to the white.
Normally a 4-prong pigtail has the following colored wires: red, black, white, green. Put a cap on the white wire and leave it unconnected.

I wired a power max, and I am wondering something. The one I wired just had a terminal strip with 10-32 screws on it. How do you plan to connect this finely stranded wire of the pigtail to these screws? I'm an airplane mechanic and had access to the tools needed to properly crimp a ring terminal on the wire. They make an adapter fitting to adapt that to the normal screw type fitting to attach a solid wire or a coarsely stranded wire, but I know it's not a good idea to put a finely stranded wire in that kind of a screw connection when the screw turns against the wire as you tighten it as it will break the strands. You can maybe tin it first, or put some kind of protection on the wire before you insert it into the terminal and tighten the screw. I think they make little copper sleeves for that purpose. Probably the best idea is to properly crimp a terminal on the wire first.

johnrhansen said:
... How do you plan to connect this finely stranded wire of the pigtail to these screws? ...
Could he make some short pigtails using solid wire, terminate those in the screw connections, then use wire nuts to connect the stranded wire?

I don't like wire nuts on the finely stranded wire. Every time I take a wire nut off of one, I find one or 2 of the strands are broken. I know it's accepted practice, but I try to avoid it in high current applications.

I am not sure what 240 plug/outlet you have.

NEMA 6-50 uses three wires. Hot on the two black screws left and right. The Green wire goes on the green screw which is on the top. In this configuration you do not use the white. It's really a neutral wire. You can tell you hot wires by measuring with a volt meter black to white = 120 volt red to white = 120 volt or substitute the green to white, you get the same voltage. So just wire nut the white wire off. It's not used in this configuration.

NEMA 14-50R you will need to wire the two hot wires (120 Volt) on the dark colored screws. Usually Black and another color like red. The green is the ground and will go on the green lug. The white is on the bottom.

check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

valem said:
In this ESVE adapter, is the Ground on the 14-50r wired to the Neutral (W) on the 10-30p ?

https://imgur.com/a/Ip0YlhC
Yes. The 10-30 does not have a ground, only a neutral. Since the 10-30 should be the only outlet on the circuit and the neutral and ground are bound together at the main panel, this hack works fine. Even adapters from Tesla do this. You want to be absolutely sure that adapter gets used for nothing BUT your EVSE, however, as it can cause damage if used with an appliance that expects a 4 wire circuit.

If your 10-30 is NOT the only outlet on the circuit, or your 10-30 is fed from a subpanel, there will be other voltages on the neutral wire, which could cause problems.

Back