User avatar
gbarry42
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:48 pm
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011
Location: Moonlight Beach

Re: How Do You limit charging to 80%???

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:49 pm

Clearly, there are a number of factors to be considered before deciding what level we would like to charge to. Maybe we should just stick to the original question :) I've noted before that the aftermarket gauges allow us to watch the charge level as it is happening.
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.

User avatar
Nekota
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:16 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2182
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: How Do You limit charging to 80%???

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:20 am

A smart EVSE would shutoff power when the state of charge reaches 80% . I expect we will see this capability in the future but it isn't available unless you want to decode the CAN buss data stream and implement it. I would think adding bluetooth transponder to the Open EVSE project to talk to the LEAF and decide when to stop the charging has some merits.
Res 20Apr2010 / Ordered 27Sep2010 / Delivered 12May2011

PV System

johnrhansen
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: How Do You limit charging to 80%???

Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:58 am

I only drive 5 miles to work in the morning. I dont want my car sitting around all day at that high of a charge. If my commute were 10 miles further I'd charge to 100.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

johnrhansen
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: How Do You limit charging to 80%???

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:25 am

Nekota wrote:A smart EVSE would shutoff power when the state of charge reaches 80% . I expect we will see this capability in the future but it isn't available unless you want to decode the CAN buss data stream and implement it. I would think adding bluetooth transponder to the Open EVSE project to talk to the LEAF and decide when to stop the charging has some merits.


There's an easier but a bit less accurate way. I dont know the exact number, but at approximately 90 percent charge, the current drawn from the evse begins to taper off. Add a feature to the evse that has it turn off if that current falls to a certain vallue. You need some logic interlocks so that you don't have false turnoffs, but I think it can be done.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: How Do You limit charging to 80%???

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:50 pm

Bump. Just wanted to refresh this topic in case there might be a 3rd party firmware flash that might be available? Any chance of it?
[2013 leaf traded for 2016 leaf S30 (7300 miles & 363 GIDs @ 1 May 2017)! ... still getting a model3 though. :D

LeftieBiker
Posts: 6575
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: How Do You limit charging to 80%???

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 pm

Very little chance of it.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

MountainTopLeaf
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:33 pm
Delivery Date: 23 May 2017

Re: How Do You limit charging to 80%???

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:43 pm

And, here in June 2017, with a new 2017 Leaf in my garage - which is on top of a mountain... I sure wish there was a way to limit the charge percentage. If I don't monitor the charge and manually stop it before it hits about 95%, I get no regenerative braking effect at all when I leave the house. That's not only an efficiency issue. It may be an exaggeration to call it a safety issue, because the brakes do work. But certainly It's much less pleasant to have to pump the brakes going down the mountain, than to get the steady braking of using "B" mode. And it's wearing out the brakes. I also have a gas powered car and with that I can downshift to get engine braking. The B mode is much nicer that engine braking but it just doesn't work at all at 100% charge. When I take my foot off the brake, the car accelerates rapidly going downhill. And I hate to ride the brakes.

So it amazes me that there is no manufacturer option nor aftermarket software to put this charge limit in affect. Especially considering that they had it and took it away from us. I do not have a regular commuting schedule so the suggestions about "set the end time to after you will actually leave" are not practical for me.

Oh and speaking of monitoring the charge... I can do that with the Nissan Connect app but when I do, it takes several full minutes to connect, then almost always gives me old data. Then I check the charge again and it takes another 2-3 minutes, and still gives me stale data (often). And sometimes on the third try it connects and tells me the current charge state. So it takes maybe 6-10 minutes to just get the state of the charge. Or I have to go to the garage and turn on the car. Tips are appreciated for a better way to do this. I'm a newbie here.

Sigh.

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: How Do You limit charging to 80%???

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:37 pm

MountainTopLeaf wrote:And, here in June 2017, with a new 2017 Leaf in my garage - which is on top of a mountain... I sure wish there was a way to limit the charge percentage. If I don't monitor the charge and manually stop it before it hits about 95%, I get no regenerative braking effect at all when I leave the house. That's not only an efficiency issue. It may be an exaggeration to call it a safety issue, because the brakes do work. But certainly It's much less pleasant to have to pump the brakes going down the mountain, than to get the steady braking of using "B" mode. And it's wearing out the brakes. I also have a gas powered car and with that I can downshift to get engine braking. The B mode is much nicer that engine braking but it just doesn't work at all at 100% charge. When I take my foot off the brake, the car accelerates rapidly going downhill. And I hate to ride the brakes.

So it amazes me that there is no manufacturer option nor aftermarket software to put this charge limit in affect. Especially considering that they had it and took it away from us. I do not have a regular commuting schedule so the suggestions about "set the end time to after you will actually leave" are not practical for me.

Oh and speaking of monitoring the charge... I can do that with the Nissan Connect app but when I do, it takes several full minutes to connect, then almost always gives me old data. Then I check the charge again and it takes another 2-3 minutes, and still gives me stale data (often). And sometimes on the third try it connects and tells me the current charge state. So it takes maybe 6-10 minutes to just get the state of the charge. Or I have to go to the garage and turn on the car. Tips are appreciated for a better way to do this. I'm a newbie here.

Sigh.


Welcome! And sorry to hear you suffering from the same issues.

I've resorted to plugging the car in an hour before I need to leave on alternating days, because that brings the charge up to 80%. Not really convenient, I know, but it's far better than using the Connect app, and doesn't take more than a minute to do.
[2013 leaf traded for 2016 leaf S30 (7300 miles & 363 GIDs @ 1 May 2017)! ... still getting a model3 though. :D

MountainTopLeaf
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:33 pm
Delivery Date: 23 May 2017

Re: How Do You limit charging to 80%???

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks!
I can do that; at least mostly. I work from home and my driving tends to be spur of the moment. I don't always anticipate that I'll be driving in an hour. :) Right now I'm trying to get out of the habit of plugging in to charge every time I return home. I had only the trickle charger for a few weeks and would plug in right away upon returning home, for a slow recharge. Then I installed a Siemens EVSE, 30 AMP unit. With the faster level 2 charging, it's harder to stop it before it's full. And I'm still getting used to the general range/recharge-time rhythms. Loving the car - it's surprising how many little things are different.

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: How Do You limit charging to 80%???

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:23 pm

MountainTopLeaf wrote:Thanks!
I can do that; at least mostly. I work from home and my driving tends to be spur of the moment. I don't always anticipate that I'll be driving in an hour. :) Right now I'm trying to get out of the habit of plugging in to charge every time I return home. I had only the trickle charger for a few weeks and would plug in right away upon returning home, for a slow recharge. Then I installed a Siemens EVSE, 30 AMP unit. With the faster level 2 charging, it's harder to stop it before it's full. And I'm still getting used to the general range/recharge-time rhythms. Loving the car - it's surprising how many little things are different.


Yeah, some things just take getting a little used-to.
Wait until you've had the leaf for a few weeks and get into an ICE the first time!

The smell of gasoline came to me as the biggest shock! Gasoline fumes is a known carcinogen, and here we all were breathing it in on our daily commutes, completely oblivious to how desensitized we had become - kind of like habit-smoking, but without the calming effect.
[2013 leaf traded for 2016 leaf S30 (7300 miles & 363 GIDs @ 1 May 2017)! ... still getting a model3 though. :D

Return to “Batteries & Charging”