ALF
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 022159

Re: Emergency Power Wiring Kit (for Nissan Leaf)

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:01 pm

This wiring kit is pretty slick for a permanent clean installation, but if all I want to do is occasionally use a 1000W inverter when there is a power blackout (i.e. 1x or 2x/yr), is there anything wrong with just connecting my inverter to the 12v battery with jumper cables?

BrockWI
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:53 pm

It is fine to hook up temporary. Just connect the negative side to the "engine" block or someplace other than directly on the battery. Also make sure you have heavy enough wires to feed the inverter and they have a good connection. You can tell if they start to get warm at all they have a poor connection at that point. That is the way I use mine now since I can move it between vehicles.
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - 8 L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 170k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013

brenton
Delivery Date: 17 Aug 2015
Leaf Number: 404682

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:43 am

BrockWI wrote:
ALF wrote:This wiring kit is pretty slick for a permanent clean installation, but if all I want to do is occasionally use a 1000W inverter when there is a power blackout (i.e. 1x or 2x/yr), is there anything wrong with just connecting my inverter to the 12v battery with jumper cables?

It is fine to hook up temporary. Just connect the negative side to the "engine" block or someplace other than directly on the battery. Also make sure you have heavy enough wires to feed the inverter and they have a good connection. You can tell if they start to get warm at all they have a poor connection at that point. That is the way I use mine now since I can move it between vehicles.

Since EVExtend is currently sold out, I'm planning on doing this, but I'm nervous about just using the inverter alone without anything else from the kit.

The EVExtend kit has a fuse. I don't know a lot about electricity but I would think having a fuse is a good idea. What voltage (do you measure fuses in voltage?) fuse would you need for the leaf, and where would you put it? (I'd also like to be able to use this on my Prius Plug-in, I assume the same fuse would work for both cars.)

The EVExtend kit also says it has:
EVEX-1000L Brochure wrote:High current DC connector for quick inverter connect when emergency power is needed

What is that? Is that just a description of the 4AWG and 8AWG wiring for the positive and negative connections, or is there an additional connector to somewhere else?

Return to “Batteries & Charging”