Is it OK to sit in your car while it's on a quick charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricMonkey

The manual says something about not sitting in your car while it's charging if you have a pacemaker. I'm wondering what the EM exposure level is while these cars are charging. Is it safe? I like to eat my lunch in the car while I'm picking up a free, quick charge, but don't want to end up glowing in the dark or something.

I checked mine with an EMF meter some time ago and found the levels to be low. Certainly not worth worrying about. I think it was just Nissan's over zealous lawyers at work...

ElectricMonkey said:
The manual says something about not sitting in your car while it's charging if you have a pacemaker. I'm wondering what the EM exposure level is while these cars are charging. Is it safe? I like to eat my lunch in the car while I'm picking up a free, quick charge, but don't want to end up glowing in the dark or something.

I eat lunch in mine all the time while it QC's...nothing has happened yet.

the_fly_1958_h.jpeg

As long as you eat plenty of cabbage with your meal - it's good for your prostate, if that's what your worried about. :cool: :roll:

One thing that's not good to do while you are QCing is play the AM radio, unless you like static. ;)

TomT said:
I checked mine with an EMF meter some time ago and found the levels to be low.
Are the EMF levels higher between the car and the charger or inside the car? I wonder if it is worse to sit on the curb right next to the car.

I would think that Level 2 charging would have more EMF, due to the alternating current being rectified. CHAdeMo is direct-current provided by the charging stand. Steady DC creates a magnetic field, but doesn't induce current in other conductors. The danger with a pacemaker is having even tiny amounts of current induced in the leads from fluctuating magnetic fields.

ElectricMonkey said:
You'll get more exposure if you were to sit in a cafe and the guy on the next table was using his mobile 'phone.

Hi there,

Is it okay to make the Ignition ON for longer times while Charging the Nissan Leaf using Level 2 EV charger?

Is it safe

Or it will not degrade the battery life?

or it will lead to fire?

Please suggest

Thanks,

notlh said:
Hi there,

Is it okay to Turn the Ignition ON for longer times while charging cable connected

Is it safe or it will lead to fire?

Please suggest

Thanks,

It's okay if you cross your fingers and knock on wood. I do it all the time.

If you turn on the Auxillary/Display you can see the number of miles and the bars increasing while you worry about the EMF! :roll: :lol:

notlh said:
Hi there,

Is it okay to Turn the Ignition ON for longer times while charging cable connected

Is it safe or it will lead to fire?

Please suggest

Thanks,

I don't know for sure however if they provide the ability to have the air conditioning come on while charging so you can return to a comfortable car one would have to believe that adding the radio or some small lights, cell phone, etc to that load should not cause either problem.

Back