Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Replaced my LEAF 12v battery after 4 years

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:59 am

joeriv wrote:
For the LEAF I didn't see an Odyssey solution fit well, so I eventually came up with the battery below. Since LEAF has no need for "starting current" I selected a full-on deep-cycle design that is used for solar power installations.

http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries ... -420t.html

Any issues installing this? Looks like a perfect solution.

A couple of minor things. This post has most of the info. viewtopic.php?f=27&p=257288 Install on the 2015 was easier than the 2012 -- didn't have to mess with the cable routing.

The battery doesn't come with SAE posts, so I picked some up that are made for some of the odyssey batteries. Easy to find by looking for "SAE Terminal Adapters". There are a number of batteries that use these. They should have M6 bolts.

Oh, and I peeled off the labels just to prevent any potential belly-aching from the Nissan service guys. :roll:
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 16583

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:33 pm

I finally put in an Exide Edge AGM 51R. Because these batteries spend so much time not fully charged they are always slowly sulfating. The gas mat batteries stand up to this much better. I also charge it fully once a week with the Battery Tender. Exide's are not made by Johnson Control. Yellow top Optima's are. Do not bother with them.
I am hoping to get 6 years with the Exide. The one in my diesel tractor is an old Exide orbital and Is just no failing but it is 15 years old.
2012 SV Delivered Jan 2012
DOM 10/11 Sequence 16583
28000 miles. Never updated.
Leaf Spy Pro Ah-60.09/ SOH-91%/Hx-89.61

lkkms2
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 302025

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:55 am

Nubi, how is your 12 V sun tender battery doing in your Leaf? Holding up well?

Also, Did you say it fit in easily?

Thanks. My current 12v is still holding up with occasional desulfating charging, but starting to look for replacement to be ready....

Larry

Nubo wrote:
TomT wrote:Optimas are no longer what they once were before the company was sold. The quality has declined dramatically and there is now little to recommend them...

drees wrote:I'd be tempted to replace with an Optima yellow-top deep-cycle battery

They sold out to Johnson Controls and the manufacturing was moved to Mexico. I have also read complaints and personally had an Optima Yellow-top that did not provide very good service. I switched to an Odyssey battery on that car; they are still highly regarded.

For the LEAF I didn't see an Odyssey solution fit well, so I eventually came up with the battery below. Since LEAF has no need for "starting current" I selected a full-on deep-cycle design that is used for solar power installations.

http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries ... -420t.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Leaf SL purchased 6-22-2011, sold 1-18-2017 with new battery.
2017 Leaf SV with Premium Package purchased 12-30-2016

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:22 am

lkkms2 wrote:Nubi, how is your 12 V sun tender battery doing in your Leaf? Holding up well?

Also, Did you say it fit in easily?

It did great on our 2012, and I should have saved it when I returned the lease!

Instead I ended up purchasing another when I leased the 2015. And that's when the seeds of its demise were sown.

Installing isn't hard, but it does require fitment of SAE terminal adapters. I ended up over-tightening the adapters and heard a faint "crack" but continued with my install. Actual problem was that the adapter bolts I ended up with were just a little too long, which made it hard to get a good snug fit and I overtightened instead of stopping to think why.

About 10 months later the battery failed. I suspect the crack had allowed the electrolyte to eventually dry out. :cry:

I still think it's a worthwhile solution, but anything unorthodox can present challenges.

I ended up replacing with the Bosch AGM I listed recently above.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Flyct
Delivery Date: 02 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 307113

Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:02 pm

Solar chargers work very well to maintain infrequently used car batteries.

I had an "Airport Car" that I would leave parked at a General Aviation airport for months at a time unused. We had a VW Solar charger plugged into the OBDII port and suction cup attached to the inside of the front windshield. That car never failed to start and the battery was always ready to go.

VW used them when they transported their cars via ships across the ocean. Used ones are available at Ebay all the time for less that $30. There are both OBDII versions and cigarette lighter versions.
2015 Pearl White Leaf SL with Premium (Bose) package
2015 Lexus RX450h Hybrid SUV
2016 Ford F-150 Super Crew
Blissfully Retired and loving it!

Newporttom
Delivery Date: 17 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 6194

Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:06 pm

I just did a price check online. This appears to be the same battery but going for $109 now.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Extreme-51R- ... /204852603

How much do dealers charge?

Did some research and called one dealer in town and he said $137.50 out the door. Went to my regular dealer who was apparently so busy service wouldn't pick up the phone...and they said $117 and some change.... So made appt for tomorrow.
2012 Nissan Leaf SL - Cayenne Red
Accepted 12/14/11

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:03 am

Newporttom wrote:... Went to my regular dealer who was apparently so busy service wouldn't pick up the phone...and they said $117 and some change.... So made appt for tomorrow.

But the dealer will be standard lead acid battery, the Exide Edge AGM is a better choice :?:

I did not know Home Depot carried batteries.
But Exide Edge AGM at $109 is a good price.

They probably do free install like the car parts places.

So why go to the dealer for standard lead acid :?:

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

Foschas
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 320277

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:34 am

The Edge AGM and the Extreme are different batteries.

The Extreme for $109 at Home Depot is a "Heavy Duty" lead acid flooded battery.

http://www.exide.com/Media/files/Downlo ... teries.pdf

The Edge is an AGM and usually about $150

http://www.exide.com/Media/files/Downlo ... spread.pdf

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:05 pm

I am surprised that so many people are so worried about what battery to put into their Leafs... Seems like some will even chuck a perfectly good battery to get that "special" battery. I have been driving and fixing my own cars for 40 years, and can tell you that the need to get that "best" battery is over with the Leaf.

Let us reason that the biggest test of a car's battery has always been to supply those ever-popular "cold-cranking-amps" in the dead of winter. That is gone with the Leaf... No cranking. The only real drain on the battery are the accessories on the car - lights, radio, and the biggest, the a/c. If the Leaf has been designed correctly, it will recharge the 12v battery from the main batteries at an acceptable rate. The only real consumer issue is to maintain the battery fully charge all through the year. I have had my car batteries last 8-10 years on my CAR batteries, which test the power of the battery a lot more. Get a good, cheap battery from Costco or Walmart.

To keep your battery in top shape, I suggest the following:

Wire this solar battery charger to the car and place it with double sided sticky tape on the dashboard. It will keep the battery at 100% even after MONTHS of car non-use. I have 4 cars, and always get them to start.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-so ... 68692.html

Another way to keep the battery charged is to connect a "Battery Tender" charger to the battery every few weeks.

Every 6 months, to keep your peace of mind that your battery is still "strong" and holds a good charge (e.g., your battery is still good), use the battery meter below. It will put an electrical load on the battery and tell you if the battery itself is "good".

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... -9193.html

Someday, after 6-8 years (or even 10 years in my experience), it will give your a "weak" reading, and then you go to Walmart or Costco and get another cheap battery.

This has worked for me over the years, but I would welcome any comments....

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:17 pm

If the Leaf has been designed correctly, it will recharge the 12v battery from the main batteries at an acceptable rate.

Therein lies the problem. No, we aren't obsessing over batteries for no reason, believe it or not. The Leaf's charging algorithm is not optimum, and often allows the accessory battery to go dead if the car is driven for mainly short trips with lots of accessory power used. There is some evidence that the issue is with the batteries themselves: they may be much lower in capacity than what the charging system was originally designed to pair with, and larger capacity batteries actually may stay charged. In any case, if your driving habits result in a chronically low battery charge of 12.6 volts or less, it's well worth either using a battery maintainer (as I do) or installing a larger AGM battery...and occasionally using a maintainer anyway.
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”