How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smkettner

A friend just lost 3rd bar at 44,000 and 36 months in Orange County CA on his 2012 LEAF.

How soon can the 4th be expected to drop and qualify for a new battery?

I told him to park it in the sun ;)

Me too, just lost my 3rd bar at around 44,300 miles, but after almost 4 years.

I drive about 11,000 miles a year.

Each of my last two bars lost were just around 11 months or so. So I just might be within the warranty for the 4th bar.

Reminds me of the book, "Fifty Yards to the OutHouse" , by Willy Makeit :)

cwerdna said:
RonDawg said:
His Leaf needs to take a summer vacation in say, Palm Springs :lol:
Or Phoenix...
Palm Springs and its neighboring communities are a microscopic enclave compared to Phoenix and the Valley of the Sun. But it gets plenty hot in Palm Springs, located in the rain and wind shadow of 10,834 foot Mt. San Jacinto. No need to go all the way to Phoenix!

smkettner said:
A friend just lost 3rd bar at 44,000 and 36 months in Orange County CA on his 2012 LEAF.

How soon can the 4th be expected to drop and qualify for a new battery?

I told him to park it in the sun ;)
Park it in the sun on top of a blacktop pavement with the charger plugged in to keep it at 100% all the time, he will get a new battery in no time. :mrgreen:

dgpcolorado said:
cwerdna said:
RonDawg said:
His Leaf needs to take a summer vacation in say, Palm Springs :lol:
Or Phoenix...
Palm Springs and its neighboring communities are a microscopic enclave compared to Phoenix and the Valley of the Sun. But it gets plenty hot in Palm Springs, located in the rain and wind shadow of 10,834 foot Mt. San Jacinto. No need to go all the way to Phoenix!

Yeah I've been to Palm Springs in the summer. It's more than hot enough to degrade a Leaf battery.

Plusf your Leaf has QC, it's possible to get from OC to PS in a reasonable time frame. Phoenix or Vegas, not so much.

Accelerated strategies do not help. Or rather the heat issue is well known ;)

Curious because the lease is one more year. Free battery under warranty might be worth buying. No battery would mean trade in time.

Just looking for months or miles (or both) from 3 bars to 4.

TIA

smkettner said:
Just looking for months or miles (or both) from 3 bars to 4.

TIA

My guess for the OC would be ~12 months time-wise, and ~12k mileage-wise (but that's only based on the fact that I do around 1,000 miles a month myself). This is only based on my own expectation of roughly 4AHr between bar losses and a continuation of the ~0.5AHr monthly averaged loss I had typically seen over the warmer 8-9 month periods prior to the P3227 update (losses don't occur over the colder winter months).

However, one would also need to take into account that my own car's data has been skewed by 3 months of near zero loss due to resettling after P3227, and I lost bar 9 in July of last year, so I've got my fingers crossed for late October this year. Any later than that and I'll start to see Gids and AHrs climb slightly or stay steady, and I DON'T want to have that happen because that will be "game over" for me.

Lost my 3rd CB yesterday at 43,000 miles, C: 46.76 / H: 50.51 still making my range with at 50 miles easy, 199 GIDs 100% Charge. My 5 years are up March 24th 2016. I guess the 4th CB will drop at around C: 43.00

Fred

I am at 42.90 today
So any day now?
As soon as I get the new battery I am putting it up for sale.
This will be when I can get the most for it.

I was at 43.28 AH, went on a 400 mile drive to Palm Springs. had the battery to 128 Deg. 7 fast charges. got home Sunday night late charged at home. I let the car sit for 24 hours fully charged. now it is at 43.34 amp hours???? I have been at 3 bars for two years!!! still waiting. Hope it drops soon.

Lost the bar yesterday
Going to the dealer on Monday to start the process of getting the new battery and then the car is going up for sale

Mx5racer said:
Lost the bar yesterday
Going to the dealer on Monday to start the process of getting the new battery and then the car is going up for sale

can I get a date of manufacture, miles at loss, and the VIN?

|- style="background:#ffffff;" valign=top
| #??
| Jul 03, 2015
| Mx5racer
| Yorba Linda, CA
| unknown miles
| ?? months
| unknown mfg date
| 2011 model year
| unknown vin
|
|
| http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19967&start=10#p429595

I lost the 3rd bar nearly 8 months and 7,000 miles ago and still have a long way to go to lose the fourth, it appears. Sitting at 44.71 AHrs. today, and not dropping fast enough yet to make the warranty period. :(

TT

ttweed said:
I lost the 3rd bar nearly 8 months and 7,000 miles ago and still have a long way to go to lose the fourth, it appears. Sitting at 44.71 AHrs. today, and not dropping fast enough yet to make the warranty period. :(

TT

Think you need to park that puppy for a while, preferably in the heat. You're probably only 4 months away if you can manage your mileage so you get there.

Back