LeftieBiker
Posts: 7391
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2013 Leaf bar loss.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:23 am

You will still have cool to cold nights, right? That should allow the pack to cool off every night.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

jadman
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:49 am
Delivery Date: 12 May 2017

Re: 2013 Leaf bar loss.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 pm

I hope so, but the garage can get hot in the summers. I need to get leafspy to verify my battery condition but my calculations based on miles/Kwh and range seems to show a good state for my battery with now 40k miles and still 12 bars.
2017 LEAF SV, Pearl White, 60 miles, but still getting a Model 3 as well :ugeek:

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 7261
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2013 Leaf bar loss.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Not sure if it's been pointed out already, but there's already viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18269 on this subject.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

johnbechtold
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 3:17 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Jan 2016

Re: 2013 Leaf bar loss with dropping capacity, OR NOT!?

Tue May 02, 2017 3:36 pm

My 2013 Leaf SL still charges up to full bars, But the battery only holds 16kW! I'm wondering if they've reprogrammed the system so the bars just don't go away, because mine should be missing 4 bars. I know this because I also have a 2015 that I bought new, and I am very familiar with the way the 24kW battery performs. For example, from a near zero charge state, a full charge takes just under 16kW, which makes perfect sense because I get a little over 4 Mi/kW, so 4 X 16 = 62, which is very close to the actual range of the car.

So how do you get it warranteed if the capacity drops to half, but no bars are missing????!!!!???? I want to go more that 60 miles on a full charge!!

Anybody else experiencing this with the 2013? I've seen other leafs with bars lost, but I've never heard of dropping capacity with no bar loss!

John- 1015 Leaf LV bought new in January 2016 currently maintaining full capacity and range at 23,500 miles...(No Fast Charger), and a
2013 Leaf SL with 30,500 miles and a capacity of 16kW, and 58-60 miles, and the Quick Charge system, with no bars missing.

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Gold Member
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: 2013 Leaf bar loss with dropping capacity, OR NOT!?

Tue May 02, 2017 4:17 pm

johnbechtold wrote:My 2013 Leaf SL still charges up to full bars, But the battery only holds 16kW! I'm wondering if they've reprogrammed the system so the bars just don't go away, because mine should be missing 4 bars. I know this because I also have a 2015 that I bought new, and I am very familiar with the way the 24kW battery performs. For example, from a near zero charge state, a full charge takes just under 16kW, which makes perfect sense because I get a little over 4 Mi/kW, so 4 X 16 = 62, which is very close to the actual range of the car.

So how do you get it warranteed if the capacity drops to half, but no bars are missing????!!!!???? I want to go more that 60 miles on a full charge!!

Anybody else experiencing this with the 2013? I've seen other leafs with bars lost, but I've never heard of dropping capacity with no bar loss!

John- 1015 Leaf LV bought new in January 2016 currently maintaining full capacity and range at 23,500 miles...(No Fast Charger), and a
2013 Leaf SL with 30,500 miles and a capacity of 16kW, and 58-60 miles, and the Quick Charge system, with no bars missing.


I'd get the leaf-spy gids reading and file a warranty claim against the battery meter (at 4 years, and just over 30k miles, your accessories warranty might still be valid). Once that meter's fixed, then you should be able to make a claim against the battery warranty.
[2013 leaf traded for 2016 leaf S30:
build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
1 May 2017 - 7300 miles & 363 GIDs
6 Sep 2017 - 13k miles & 359 GIDs
26 Oct 2017 - 15.5k miles & 344 GIDs
26 Nov 2017 - 17.1k miles & 332 GIDs]

SeasonsAfter
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:25 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Feb 2015

Re: 2013 Leaf bar loss.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:19 pm

My nissan leaf is close to the warranty replacement date but I don't think I can get there with my leaf spy stats. Any suggestions? I have four months before the warranty expires.

2013 S leaf
33k miles odo
build date 1/2013
in service date 2/21/2013
AHr 47.47
soh 72%
hx 66.07%
0 qc
73.3% gids
206 gids

I live in San Diego so it doesn't get too cold in the winter and run the hell out of it for the warranty but am afraid to kill the battery after the warranty period. I tried to call nissan's leaf line and they indicate you are shit out of luck if you don't get that 4th bar lost. No assistance on battery from my calls.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Thanks,

Travis
2013 Leaf
9 of 12 bars remaining (waiting for that 4th bar drop)
manufacture date 1/2013
in service date 2/21/2013
AHr 46.94
SOH 71%
Hx 65.09%
33k on ODO
204 GIDs on full charge

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Gold Member
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: 2013 Leaf bar loss.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:13 pm

SeasonsAfter wrote:My nissan leaf is close to the warranty replacement date but I don't think I can get there with my leaf spy stats. Any suggestions? I have four months before the warranty expires.

2013 S leaf
33k miles odo
build date 1/2013
in service date 2/21/2013
AHr 47.47
soh 72%
hx 66.07%
0 qc
73.3% gids
206 gids

I live in San Diego so it doesn't get too cold in the winter and run the hell out of it for the warranty but am afraid to kill the battery after the warranty period. I tried to call nissan's leaf line and they indicate you are shit out of luck if you don't get that 4th bar lost. No assistance on battery from my calls.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Thanks,

Travis


Since we're now entering winter, you won't have heat to help you with this one. I suggest parking the car at VLBW for long periods of time. Anything under 5% should do. Maybe charge just enough for your day's needs? You'll suffer range anxiety every day until the SOH drops below 68% though. Not a good way to live frankly.
[2013 leaf traded for 2016 leaf S30:
build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
1 May 2017 - 7300 miles & 363 GIDs
6 Sep 2017 - 13k miles & 359 GIDs
26 Oct 2017 - 15.5k miles & 344 GIDs
26 Nov 2017 - 17.1k miles & 332 GIDs]

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7391
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2013 Leaf bar loss.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:24 pm

I have seen zero evidence that leaving a Leaf at a low SOC is any help at all in losing capacity, and it may well do the opposite. The only known substantial factor aside from heat and time is HIGH SOC. Parking the car with a full charge whenever possible and leaving it sitting that way might work, but it also might not work in time.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Gold Member
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: 2013 Leaf bar loss.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:54 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I have seen zero evidence that leaving a Leaf at a low SOC is any help at all in losing capacity, and it may well do the opposite. The only known substantial factor aside from heat and time is HIGH SOC. Parking the car with a full charge whenever possible and leaving it sitting that way might work, but it also might not work in time.


Really?!

Although anecdotal, my most significant SOH drop came after I got home under VLBW and plugged in, but didn't change the charge timer, so the car sat at VLBW for almost 8 hrs.

OP, I suggest you try it just for the weekend and check your leaf spy stats.
[2013 leaf traded for 2016 leaf S30:
build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
1 May 2017 - 7300 miles & 363 GIDs
6 Sep 2017 - 13k miles & 359 GIDs
26 Oct 2017 - 15.5k miles & 344 GIDs
26 Nov 2017 - 17.1k miles & 332 GIDs]

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7391
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2013 Leaf bar loss.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Did you check the SOH before or after recharging, and did it go back up later?
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”