How is my 2015 battery doing?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truav8r

Would like comments on how my battery is holding up? Located in Albany, NY area.

Mfg: Sept. 2014
Purchased: Nov. 2014

859A240E-B21E-4B3D-988C-69CF5ACA8639.jpg

Are you serious or just trying to show off? lol

You have no change in GIDs or kWh and down 0.4 Ahr. Your battery could NOT be doing any better.

I hit 292 GID's, 63 Ahr and 22.6 kWh peak and just this week am down to 264 GIDs, 56 Ahr, and 20.5 kWh. I'm down about 10% in 7 months and just over 4k miles.

Well I knew that the GIDs staying at 292 is a good sign, although I'm sure that's about to head south soon. Guessing I'm on borrowed time there, especially with the Ahr finally showing signs of dipping.

But I'm not sure what to make of the HX bouncing all over the place? And why would SOH have different readings between LeafSpy and LeafStat?? Since they have always given different values, I've kept track of both just in case.

Daily charging habits:
- Wife commutes to work each day, 48 miles round trip. She usually gets home with about 45% remaining in the summer, closer to 25-30% remaining in the dead of winter.
- Almost always charge to 100%. But instead of using the car's own charging timer, I use the delay timer on the home L2 and work the math so that it's fully charged as close to my wife's departure time as possible. Most days it isn't at 100% for more than 30-45mins before she hops in and goes. Using the car's own timer would lessen the brain load :) but I notice it tends to overestimate the time needed to reach full charge, and so it sits in the garage at 100% for a longer time than necessary. Maybe that's splitting hairs, but I'll continue with my delay timer habit until it's too much of a bother.
- We're blessed with a garage, so that helps to keep the worst of the cold at bay. My wife is a school counselor, and the parking lot is completely open with no shade, but since she's not parking there in the hottest weeks of the summer, that extra heat strain is lessened as well.

Should I be doing anything else?

truav8r said:
- Almost always charge to 100%. But instead of using the car's own charging timer, I use the delay timer on the home L2 and work the math so that it's fully charged as close to my wife's departure time as possible. Most days it isn't at 100% for more than 30-45mins before she hops in and goes. Using the car's own timer would lessen the brain load :) but I notice it tends to overestimate the time needed to reach full charge, and so it sits in the garage at 100% for a longer time than necessary. Maybe that's splitting hairs, but I'll continue with my delay timer habit until it's too much of a bother.

Perhaps it'd be easier to just set the charge timer for a little after her normal departure time, if it routinely overestimates? Or is it only occasionally?

I'm a little afraid to get LeafSpy and check on my new 2015's stats. I know it sat on a dealer lot for about 4 months before I bought it, but sometimes I think ignorance might be bliss. :) It's a neighborhood vehicle for me most of the time and often goes a few days between uses. So far I've been keeping it charged between 60-80% (usually low 70s), only boosting it up if it drops below 60% or if I know I'm going to be using it shortly.

Got another year on the Leaf, interested in thoughts on my numbers.

Mfg: Sept. 2014
Purchased: Nov. 2014
Odo: 33,300
Albany, NY area

Charge routine is still the same (posted above).
What do you make of the wild back-and-forth of the Ahr and SOH?? Effects of the temp swings between summer and winter?

Speaking of Ahr, why the different Ahr readings on LeafSpy (between the 1st page and 3rd page of the app), and also why the difference in SOH values between LeafSpy and LeafStat??

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/sreidy/2015%20Leaf%20Stats%20Jan2017.jpg
http://s811.photobucket.com/user/sreidy/media/2015%20Leaf%20Stats%20Jan2017.jpg.html

2015%20Leaf%20Stats%20Jan2017.jpg

Very similar numbers with my 2014 June made/bought vehicle (EU).
It was down to 90% SOH+Hx in summer but it is back to 98% this winter.
Don't even bother reading those number that often.

My climate looks similar. No 30C heat. 20C summer does happen often.

Back