Install 2015 battery in 2011 leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonc

I live outside the US, in the Caribbean, and we purchased an off-lease 2011 car about two years ago. The battery has lost 5 bars so we are at the point where we have to do something. As we are outside the US, there is no dealer to assist.
I'm looking at buying a salvage 2014/5 car and shipping it here, then moving the battery over. Can anyone advise if there are any problems with this? I heard something about an adapter that I would need, does anyone know the Nissan part number?
Many thanks for the help,

Chris Mason

I believe you are right abut needing an adapter kit, but can't help with specifics. I wanted to ask, though, if you are aware of the battery degradation warranty, and if your car is outside its parameters...?

Not going to happen. You'd need to be able to program the pack's controller ID into your car's VCM, and that simply can't be done without an IC card containing the controller's ID and Nissan's Consult III+ software.

The only thing you can do is find a replacement 2011/2012 pack in better shape and swap the controller from you car into the replacement. You can't do this with a 2013-2015 pack because the contollers are different.

I suppose you could also ship your car back to the US (or someplace else with dealer support) and pay the ~$6500 for a new replacement 2015 pack out of pocket.

You also can move modules from a 2015 pack into 2011 housing and keep your old controller. You may need to improvise with how they are secured mechanically but it said to be doable.

I also have a 2012 Leaf that is going to need a battery replacement soon,
I wondered if you have made any progress since your last post?

John Hayward

Back