RE: LEAFSPY - HOW'S MY BATTERY DOING?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powersurge

Hi,

I just turned 20K miles on my 15 S.

Although the numbers appear to be good, I was wondering if these leafspy numbers mean anything....

SOC - 100%
SOH = 100%
395.94 volts
22.6 KWH -LEFT
TEMP - 72.10
62.59 AH
693 CHARGES, 2 QC

PS - On the cell graph, most cells are high on the red, between 4.07-4.08 volts

About 5 of them are blue, at 4.06- 4.065 volts

does this mean anything about the lower cells?

I would appreciate any help learning how to interpret the leafspy information?

thank you

YES, THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE...

I do have 292 GIDS, and a SMILING LEAF OWNER After 19 months ownership and 60-80 miles drive daily!!

Now I have a good baseline of my car working like this for almost 2 years...

My LEAF is a 2012 build purchased new in September 2015.

With LEAF Spy Pro the best I can see with a 100% charge is 18.5kWh and 230 Gids.

I read of other LEAFs doing much better than this with longer periods "on the road".

I am seeing the info incorrectly or is my LEAF not up to it?

Leaf packs degrade over time whether they are in use or not. Even stored at, say, 40% charge, your car's battery would have lost substantial capacity between being built and you buying it. How did it manage to stay unsold for several years...? The first thing I'd try, if you haven't already, is charging to 100% and waiting until all three charge lights go out. Measure it again after that. Also, drive the car within a few hours of fully charging it, and try to generally keep it at less than 80% charge unless you need 100%. Also try to keep it as cool as possible...

How hot is your climate, and was the Leaf stored new in your region?

LeftieBiker said:
Leaf packs degrade over time whether they are in use or not. Even stored at, say, 40% charge, your car's battery would have lost substantial capacity between being built and you buying it. How did it manage to stay unsold for several years...? The first thing I'd try, if you haven't already, is charging to 100% and waiting until all three charge lights go out. Measure it again after that. Also, drive the car within a few hours of fully charging it, and try to generally keep it at less than 80% charge unless you need 100%. Also try to keep it as cool as possible...

How hot is your climate, and was the Leaf stored new in your region?
Nissan Australia imported 500 LEAFs in 2012 and they only reluctantly sold you one when pressed. The dealers appear to have no interest in moving them. They are all sold now and at this time are not importing any more. Needless to say, I have never met an owner that was unhappy with their purchase.

I bought mine in Queensland but the bulk were stored in Melbourne who only see a few very hot days each year.

I often charge to 100% (I am currently driving around Australia with long gaps between civilisation:) and drive off in the early morning avoiding holding the 100% charge too long. Follow my trip at http://ozleaf.proboards.com/thread/774/le-oz-af

Although I have had LEAF Spy almost as long as the LEAF, I don't remember any reading other than 18.xkWh on a 100% charge.

I wondered how many Leaf Nissan Australia imported. Agree the dealer network is hopeless, not only do they try to sell you something else, bit not all dealers can sell or service the Leaf, so you take a big risk if you purchase one and live where the Nissan dealer does not service it. apart from the battery check, the service is pretty standard stuff.

I purchased my Leaf 2nd hand. It was first purchased in 2014, so it was in storage/on the lot for 2 years. As far as I can tell the previous owner charged to 100% everytime. I used LeafSpy to check the car, and it reported SOH = 85%, but after a week it has dropped to 83%, the latest battery report from Nissan (hopeless IMO) showed 12 bars of SOH. I expected it to be about 85% based on information on the internet, hoped it might be closer to 90%, but didn't expect it to drop so quickly.

I also charged the Leaf to full and LeafSpy reports SOC = 93.4%. I thought it would always go to 100%, even though SOH has dropped, so can anyone tell me if this is a problem that will rectify or if it is a permanent situation?
I used the Nissan Leaf Range Estimator and the range did seem to agree with that estimate, so I am a little confused as to whether 93.4% is really 100% just being wrongly reported somehow.

So far I really like the Leaf, the range suits my location, but it will be interesting when I have to travel 100Km for the services.

JCPanosh said:
I also charged the Leaf to full and LeafSpy reports SOC = 93.4%. I thought it would always go to 100%, even though SOH has dropped, so can anyone tell me if this is a problem that will rectify or if it is a permanent situation?
I used the Nissan Leaf Range Estimator and the range did seem to agree with that estimate, so I am a little confused as to whether 93.4% is really 100% just being wrongly reported somehow.
The highest SOC I've ever seen was 97.5%. You will never get 100% SOC. The GOM "gauge" will show 100% when fully charged.

At 83% SOH, 93% SOC sounds about right.

42.50 Ahr
64% SoH
43% Hx

With no climate control usage, I can barely squeeze out 45 miles from my 2012 Leaf SL with 56K miles.

RIght now, I'm begging the Leaf gods to grant me the 8 bar loser. Right now I'm sitting at 9 bars even though my stats are really low. Over a third of my pack is now useless.

I'm really wanting a BMW i3 w/REx. They can be had all day for around $22K in Atlanta.

That 9th bar should drop any day now, if your weather is still as hot as our's. What is your in-service date? Believe me, you will really love the car again with a new Lizard battery in it. I've had a new battery for the past 7 months, and even after an extremely hot summer I am still at 100% SOH.

I have another 11 months left on warranty. I think it went in service July 2012 in Manasses, Virginia.

We are looking at 94F Highs and 72F Lows here on Fort Bragg, NC.

keydiver said:
That 9th bar should drop any day now, if your weather is still as hot as our's. What is your in-service date? Believe me, you will really love the car again with a new Lizard battery in it. I've had a new battery for the past 7 months, and even after an extremely hot summer I am still at 100% SOH.

BradFoxUS said:
42.50 Ahr
64% SoH
43% Hx

With no climate control usage, I can barely squeeze out 45 miles from my 2012 Leaf SL with 56K miles.

RIght now, I'm begging the Leaf gods to grant me the 8 bar loser. Right now I'm sitting at 9 bars even though my stats are really low. Over a third of my pack is now useless.

I'm really wanting a BMW i3 w/REx. They can be had all day for around $22K in Atlanta.

I like the i3s as well, but the sticker price for a new one is troubling. Used ones are not so bad, but a $20,000 hit after a year is beyond comical!

BradFoxUS said:
I have another 11 months left on warranty. I think it went in service July 2012 in Manasses, Virginia.

keydiver said:

You'll make it easy by next summer (probably before this winter).

Except I am at 57K miles. That needs to drop before winter. :(

Stanton said:
BradFoxUS said:

keydiver said:

You'll make it easy by next summer (probably before this winter).

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Your battery is just about perfect IMO. I assume you have 292 GIDs with 22.6 kWh and 100% SOH.

I bought my '16 SL in May and when it is fully charged now it only has 293 GIDs. Big drop from the 363 GIDs it had when new. Of course, we did have lots of 120 degree F days this summer...

I'm wondering when it will drop that first bar.

SamB said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
Your battery is just about perfect IMO. I assume you have 292 GIDs with 22.6 kWh and 100% SOH.

I bought my '16 SL in May and when it is fully charged now it only has 293 GIDs. Big drop from the 363 GIDs it had when new. Of course, we did have lots of 120 degree F days this summer...

surprised you still have 12!

SamB said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:

Wow! That is a big drop. You basically only have a new 24 kWh battery now. So sorry to hear this.

After 4 months of ownership, the vehicle has done 25,562km, here are some stats about my range. Note the values represent Wall to Wheels consumption, the Leaf can only show Battery to Wheels consumptions, so while my Kw/Km is 0.197, the Leaf shows it is 0.15 on the Dashboard display. I'm only really interested to know what it is costing me to operate the vehicle, anything else is meaningless to me.
Kwh/Km = 0.197; Km/Kw = 5.071

The average Kw/Km or Km/Kw gives a reasonably accurate expectation of range, with the obvious issues that hills, speed, wind, A/C affect the range per trip. Basically I work on 1Km/1% SoC and that seems to work well for the driving I do. My LeafSpy shows the best SoC I can get is about 93%, so realistically I am saying I can go 93Km. I'm not getting anywhere near the 120-150km range that others are saying they can get, and it is interesting that the EPA (US) is 86mi, which would translate to about 136km, so with 82% SoH I would expect about 110Km range.

I also plot the SoH, Hx and AH values after every charging day (so some gaps if I did not charge that day). My SoH is 81%, unfortunately this site is too hard to figure out how to attach images, so here is the data:
SOH started at 85% four months ago. Now it is 81%. After the Nissan service is jumped up to 90%, but over the next week it dropped to 81%. Before the service it was steady at 82%.
Ahr also had a big jump after the service. Ahr started at 56 four months ago, then stabilised around 55. After the service it jumped to 58.5, but then dropped quickly back to 54. I still seems to be dropping.

It is interesting after the service there was that big spike and then it dropped quickly to a point lower than what it was before the service. Hx had the biggest drop, from 82% to 65%. It was very stable on 78% before the service. Range does not seem to be any different since the service.

For my around town needs this car is perfect, but any trip of significant range is a problem as we have almost no charging infrastructure in Australia, and using the EVSE is a joke given they put the 15A plug on it but it only provides 10A power, besides the very long time it would take to recharge anyway. 15A EVSE takes a few hours and is Ok, but there needs to be many more of them before it is a reality for any sort of longer range driving. No Chademo near where I live at all, I think there are a couple in the capital city >100km away.

BradFoxUS said:
You don't want one unless you want to have a decent chance of having a new "hobby" or paying for lots of expensive repairs after the warranty's over. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=476790#p476790.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SamB said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:

surprised you still have 12!

Just lost that first bar today! I have under 12,000 miles...

Back