End of warranty dealer visit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambtron

My warranty expires today and I had an appointment to visit my dealer for a battery check today as the range and battery specs are down. The car has been at nine bars for 8 months.
Leaf Spy shows the specs as:
Mileage: 33117
Gids: 180
SOC%: 93.3
V: 391.99
KWH: 14.0
Ahr: 43.11
SOH%: 65
Hx:%: 44.60
Max V Diff. (mv): 15
Temp Diff. (*): 2.6

No big surprises here. Even though the specs are well within the bell curve of what others have lost the 9th bar at, 9 bars are showing, No warranty replacement today.
After months of driving extra mileage and operating time on the car and trying different driving techniques, living in this god forsaken desert, and babying the battery again, I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to coax this battery into being saved or destroyed and it will do what it wants on it's own schedule.

My 2014 toyota corolla, leased when new <10mi, have been back to dealer for engine check light once, for 12v battery replacement once, and having wind noise and rumbling from engine. . .
I bet your leaf is still smooth and quiet and no smog. :D That is not too bad. ;)

Lambtron said:
... I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to coax this battery into being saved or destroyed and it will do what it wants on it's own schedule.
I'm kind of thinking the same thing and am just driving my '12 as normal, also sitting at 9 bars. I've got until mid '17 and don't plan on doing anything to alter the rate of degradation of the battery, well I'm actually doing things to help extend the battery(only occasionally charging to 100%, not when it's hot, etc) and it is what it is. If I get a new battery, great, if not, oh well I have a nice 50-60 mile car :)

jjeff said:
Lambtron said:
... I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to coax this battery into being saved or destroyed and it will do what it wants on it's own schedule.
I'm kind of thinking the same thing and am just driving my '12 as normal, also sitting at 9 bars. I've got until mid '17 and don't plan on doing anything to alter the rate of degradation of the battery, well I'm actually doing things to help extend the battery(only occasionally charging to 100%, not when it's hot, etc) and it is what it is. If I get a new battery, great, if not, oh well I have a nice 50-60 mile car :)
I wish I had done that.
I found that after you drop below 43.5 AHr. the range starts to dip quickly and noticeably
to about 40 miles tops even with gentle driving. Or that could be just me as I always have the AC on at 60* low fan.

@Lambtron

I am right there too. My car is a 2013 LEAF SL with the following:
AHr = 41.81
SOH= 63%
odo = 59,557

I drive about 400miles per week. I still have 9bars showing. So, after next week my battery warranty will be over (60K mile threshold).

RCEV13 said:
@Lambtron

I am right there too. My car is a 2013 LEAF SL with the following:
AHr = 41.81
SOH= 63%
odo = 59,557

I drive about 400miles per week. I still have 9bars showing. So, after next week my battery warranty will be over (60K mile threshold).

You may want to take it t the dealer for a battery check anyway. This is so you can have it documented that at least you didn't miss the date. According to the dealer, Nissan Corporate may be willing to "work" with you in good faith (It's been done before) if the bar drops shortly after.
However, the dealer did not make any promises.

Finally hit 8 bars today. 22 days after the 5 yr. mark. Here are my specs:
Mileage: 33866
Gids: 180
SOC%: 95.8
V: 392.3
KWH: 14.0
Ahr: 41.87
SOH%: 63
Hx:%: 42.53
Max V Diff. (mv): 12
Temp Diff. (*): 3.2
Hopefully Nissan will work with me.

Good luck!
You obviously left some miles on the table though. Statistically you could have been having this conversation a few years ago.

Back