Post drive range variation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
What do you guys think of this......I arrive home showing 26 miles of range. I turn off the car but forget that I want to reset the clocks, so turn the car back on again and range is now 29 miles. Then, after I've taken care of the clocks and turned the car off once more, I take the wife's daughter for a ride around the block and the car is now showing 31 miles available when it's turned on (disclosure: photo is from after we've been around the block, hence the 3/10ths additional distance traveled, but the available mileage was the same).

26_miles.jpg

29%20miles.jpg

31%20miles.jpg

Nice - self-regenerative battery. :)

I'm sure the 1st two is something in the algorithm adjusting est range based on time/driving style.

The last adjustment is due to the easy drive around the block also increasing efficiency.

So how are you enjoying the LEAF so far? Think you'll be back in the fast-lane soon? :)

Right - the mileage number is an estimate based on prior driving. The actual pack state of charge is hidden and isn't moving around. ;)

Thanks for taking us along on your commute - Great Videos!

The actual SOC, according to Carwings, was 75% depleted (or rather 25% remaining). I was actually a bit disappointed with this, because I rather thought it would be closer to 30 or 35%. It seemed like it was last night (though I didn't actually pull the number from Carwings last night, as it happens) based on the amount of time for recharge to 100% (4 hours even). Tonight Carwings is telling me 6 hours even to a 100% charge.

mwalsh said:
What do you guys think of this..

In the first photo your headlights are on, in the second they are not. Perhaps that reduction in non-traction load affected the calculation? I know the non-traction load jumps when you put on the brights, but it might be that the LED mains are a bit thirsty too...?

As to the third estimate - if it really said 31 and this was simply the third time you've turned it on, without going anywhere...not sure.

It seems odd that your time to charge increased between photos 1 and 2, even when the range increased.

It appears from this and other reports that the algorithm used to calculate the miles left heavily weights recent driving history as a predictor of the future. For local driving, this would seem often to not be the case. I think Nissan tried to get overly clever here, and should have used something more straight forward, like 1 mile left for every 1% of usable SOC left in the pack, then an adjustment for accessories that are turned on.

I think even just a straight up % SOC left would be more usable. I guess we have to settle for the 12 little bars on the right. They didn't change. And if carwings said 25% was left, that would be 3 bars. ;)

wsbca said:
It seems odd that your time to charge increased between photos 1 and 2, even when the range increased.
Interesting. Does it take into account the temperature ?

evnow said:
wsbca said:
Interesting. Does it take into account the temperature ?

Exactly, temp and voltage swings, some variable is changing not the calculation itself.

ok, so you took off in the morning with a range of 87 to 92.3 miles. on an estimate of distance remaining in the tank.

lets talk about OTHER cars that gives us the same DTE (distance to empty) estimate.

my Prius does it. usually i get gas about 20 to 50 miles AFTER DTE hits zero.

learn your car. use the gauges as a guideline to help understand and quantify your learning.

If there were actual percentages on an SOC meter VS bars with ranges one could get a better picture, reading these computer range numbers against bar scales is exactly one example of what past EV drivers have been talking about. How does one know if they are about to go up one bar or down? There is a big variation there if you have not been watching carefully and it does not give an accurate number for reference. A bar scale is fine for temp but not for SOC, at least not if you car about any details of drive to lower ends of the pack. The more people drive the more evident this will be.

mwalsh said:
wsbca said:

Interesting. I didn't notice that. Both times were in actuality incorrect (see my other thread) and it took 4:31 to recharge to 100% last night.

it is becoming apparent to me that the estimated ranges, SOC and recharge times are subject to voltage sags.

education, education, education. learn your car. gauges; guidelines only

Your wife's daughter has such an electric personality that she actually charged the batteries through induction by merely being close to them??? :lol:

Back