From Toronto to Niagara-on-the-Lake and back

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grevesz

Hello,

I am considering getting a Leaf. I live in Toronto, Ontario. I mostly drive in and around the city where the range of the Leaf must be OK. Once in a while, however, I go to Niagara-on-the-Lake for a theatre performance (they are excellent!), which is about 150 km away (one way).

:?: Would the Leaf be able to do one way without charging both in the winter (heating) and in the summer (AC-ing)?

:?: Is there a charging station in Niagara-on-the-Lake (and how do I find this out on the internet) capable of recharging the Leaf in about 2 and a half hours (most theatre plays take this long) so I can drive it back to Toronto without further charging?

Thank you very much for your help!

Gabor

Gabor,

No, you can't do that in one go. The useable range is 50-60 miles, so about half that distance. You'd need to charge enroute and there's no fast chargers. There are Level 2 and a number of Level 2 in Niagara on the Lake.

See plugshare.com for station locations.

See EVTripPlanner for kWh demand estimates. It calculates that trip at 82 miles and 18 kWh. That's cutting it too close for my tastes. There's only 21-22 kWh usable in a new Leaf. And EVTripPlanner can under and overestimate consumption. See my trip reports on my web site for our experience here.

Paul

paulgipe said:
See EVTripPlanner for kWh demand estimates. It calculates that trip at 82 miles and 18 kWh. That's cutting it too close for my tastes. There's only 21-22 kWh usable in a new Leaf.
Paul
Uh, if you're derating a 24kWh nominal LEAF to 21kWh, then a NEW leaf SV or SL, with a nominal 30kWh pack, would have 26.25 kWh. And while I agree that an 83 mile drive would be more of a stretch than I'd be comfortable with, I bet it WOULD do it while new, if the terrain is reasonably level. You'd have to find charging at the destination, though; preferably L3 charging.

Back