Battery Temp on a trip

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregn

Hey all,
I hope this is the right place to post this. I just took a 350 mile trip in one session from Montpelier Vermont to Albany New York and back. Only stopped to charge and have a quick lunch. This was last Wed. Temps in the 80s. QC at each stop was to 80% only. Each stop was about 10-15 min. I totaled 6 QC sessions in a row for the trip. As you can imagine the battery Temp got up there. After the last one I had the full 10 bars. The car behave fine. No warnings or power limiting. It cooled down during the drive to 9 bars but the time I got home.
In the morning before work after an overnight L1 charge to 100% I check the health with Leaf Spy. I had gained health from 95 to 96%. I'm sure doing this kind of thing a lot would speed up the degrading but I wonder since it was never sitting at I high charge while that hot but working it was actually excercising it.
Thoughts?

gregn said:
... I had gained health from 95 to 96%. I'm sure doing this kind of thing a lot would speed up the degrading but I wonder since it was never sitting at I high charge while that hot but working it was actually excercising it.
Thoughts?
The short term increase in SOH from DCQC has been noted by many.

It is probably mostly due to DCQC improving cell balancing.
But the increased pack temperatures may also be a factor in messing up the SOH calculation in the BMS.

Has nothing to do with positive effects on the pack from "exercising" it, other than improved cell balancing.

That makes sense. Heat is the enemy period. I was just wondering if other folks have noticed capacity loss from relativity short exposures like what I described. This kind of thing for me would be rare rather than the norm. Vermont is pretty mellow as far as summer temps. The trip was to see what is left in the battery at each station. I need to do the same trip in January so I wanted to see if I had the buffet to handle the range loss from cold. I ran the climate control the whole way so that would factor in some. It will depend on the day obviously. Looks like it should be fine. I only charged to 80% on all the stops do I can charge more if needed. Had around 45% left at each stop too. The longest leg is 68 miles but it is the last leg. There is a charging option closer if needed. Should be a good adventure.
Thanks for the info

gregn said:
... I need to do the same trip in January so I wanted to see if I had the buffet to handle the range loss from cold. ... Should be a good adventure.
With a 2016 SV with 30 kWh pack and heat pump heater trip may be no problem if the weather isn't too cold.

But if it is 10F or colder the heater pulls a lot of power.
Something you haven't experienced yet.

The 2011s with three or four missing capacity bars are a 30 to 35 mile range vehicle if you like heat.
With your new 2016 SV maybe 50 miles on 0F day.

The other potential problem on such long trips is broken down DCQC stations.
In TN a lot of the EV Project DCQC were put at Cracker Barrels.
When they break no one repairs them.
They stay broke.
So even a modest 90 mile trip from Chattanooga to Knoxville is pretty untenable.

Right. The real cold is the question. I hope there are a few cold days I can see what it really does before the trip. I'm a winter sports person so I can tolerate some cold and have the cloths for it if it comes to that. The plan is to do the trip on a moderate day.
The chargers around Vermont are pretty reliable. EVgo network all of them. I did notice Plugshare is real time with their availability as well and the reports people leave when checking in are consistent. We will see how that pans out in colder weather. Most if my trip legs are around 50 miles as well.

Back