When will Nissan provide battery upgrade program?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amund

The current NIssan battery exchange program is outdated:
NIssan does not provide capacity upgrade.

BMW do provide battery battery exchange with capacity upgrade.
Renault do as well:
A battery swap from 22kwh to 41 kwh for Renault Zoe, will cost 2500-3000€

Not sure where you're getting your information about the Zoe. The upgraded battery was just leaked yesterday with no talk of a battery swap. Instead, the €2500 you mentioned was the price increase over a base Zoe.

Think about this: You buy a 16GB iPad and find out it's too small. Will Apple swap out the motherboard for you so you can have a larger capacity? Nope. They want you to buy a new iPad. Nissan is the same way. They don't want to extend the life of existing LEAFs -- that's bad business -- they want you to buy a new one.

aarond12 said:
They don't want to extend the life of existing LEAFs -- that's bad business --

That is what Nissan think. Tesla, on the other hand are with you on the ownership of the car, give you upgrades and want to keep you as a customer going forward. I think this is why Tesla's hold their value so well and maybe because they are of limited supply too, I guess. If your Nissan leaf could have affordable upgrades and replacements I think their resale value would be better. Nissan are hurting a lot from the low resale values of the cars and their attitude towards them makes the circles of devalue ever decreasing.

DuncanCunningham said:
aarond12 said:

That is what Nissan think. Tesla, on the other hand are with you on the ownership of the car, give you upgrades and want to keep you as a customer going forward. I think this is why Tesla's hold their value so well and maybe because they are of limited supply too, I guess. If your Nissan leaf could have affordable upgrades and replacements I think their resale value would be better. Nissan are hurting a lot from the low resale values of the cars and their attitude towards them makes the circles of devalue ever decreasing.

Tesla gives you software updates over wifi. If your first generation Models S does not have the hardware to go "autonomous" for example, you will not be ungraded to get that. Actually, you will pay a premium to have any upgrades after you take delivery.

Define "hold their value" You can get a three year old used Tesla for 50% off from the factory. Do a search for Tesla CPO and their site pops up.

The Tesla battery costs at least $10,000 for the 60 kwh, and $12,000 for the 85kwh. Their batteries have an 8 year warranty 125,000 mile warranty. if you extrapolate the Leaf's battery, you will see that they are inline.

Please, let us not all start pretending that Elon is giving things away, while Ghosn is the anti-christ.

Jedlacks said:
Please, let us not all start pretending that Elon is giving things away, while Ghosn is the anti-christ.

I'm not insinuating any such thing. You are preaching to the choir. I love my Nissan Leaf and my Wife loves hers too. I have no designs on a Tesla. Far too rich for my wallet I'm afraid.

DuncanCunningham said:
Jedlacks said:

I'm not insinuating any such thing. You are preaching to the choir. I love my Nissan Leaf and my Wife loves hers too. I have no designs on a Tesla. Far too rich for my wallet I'm afraid.

Respect... I kindly take back whatever offended you. :D

Jedlacks said:
DuncanCunningham said:
Jedlacks said:

not offended one bit.

aarond12 said:
Think about this: You buy a 16GB iPad and find out it's too small. Will Apple swap out the motherboard for you so you can have a larger capacity? Nope. They want you to buy a new iPad. Nissan is the same way. They don't want to extend the life of existing LEAFs -- that's bad business -- they want you to buy a new one.
Agree that seems to be Nissan's approach, but I'd argue that cars aren't quite as disposable as tablets. Most desktop computers, for example, can take RAM and other upgrades. Nissan should do the same for the Leaf. I'd cheerfully drop a large chunk of change on a battery upgrade, but if getting a bigger battery means getting a new car, it probably won't be a Nissan -- and my options seem to increase with every auto show.

DuncanCunningham said:
aarond12 said:

That is what Nissan think. Tesla, on the other hand are with you on the ownership of the car, give you upgrades and want to keep you as a customer going forward. ...

Tesla does offer free upgrades, but even paid upgrades for the battery packs are exceptions. Normally they are not available.

Jedlacks said:

Define "hold their value" You can get a three year old used Tesla for 50% off from the factory. Do a search for Tesla CPO and their site pops up.

...Their batteries have an 8 year warranty 125,000 mile warranty. if you extrapolate the Leaf's battery, you will see that they are inline.

Used Tesla's bring an equal or higher price as similarly priced luxury ICE vehicles. Considering the $7500 headwind due to the rebate, I'd say they are holding their value quite well.

You are incorrect on the warrantee terms.
All Tesla's currently offer 8 year, unlimited mileage warranties on the battery and drive train.

DuncanCunningham said:
Jedlacks said:
DuncanCunningham said:

not offended one bit.

This was one of the most courteous exchanges on this forum, I love it!. It kind of reminded me of the old Chip-and-Dale cartoons (the chipmunks, not the other kind of Chip and Dale).

Zythryn said:
Jedlacks said:

...Their batteries have an 8 year warranty 125,000 mile warranty. if you extrapolate the Leaf's battery, you will see that they are inline.

Used Tesla's bring an equal or higher price as similarly priced luxury ICE vehicles. Considering the $7500 headwind due to the rebate, I'd say they are holding their value quite well.

All Tesla's currently offer 8 year, unlimited mileage warranties on the battery and drive train.

$48,000 for a 44k miler 2013 Model S 85 with the "remaining battery and drive warranty and a four year, 50,000 miles pre-owned limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance". Taken directly from their website for all the world to see. They have lost half their value, which is in line with almost all other cars

"The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time and use. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is NOT covered under this Battery Limited Warranty. See your owner documentation for important information on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Battery." Page 3 of the Models S warranty handbook.

It's the fine print that always gets you! :D :D :D :D

OK to clarify. Upgrades, as in software and they seem to take more than a passing interest in ownership issues. I still love my Leaf even if their dealer network is not interested in them. Tesla owners I've met rave about it, as they should, my house cost about 1 and 1/2 Tesla's so they should be pleased with them. I'm not jealous at all of those who can afford a Tesla. One day I might find one old enough I can afford it.

Jedlacks said:
Zythryn said:
Jedlacks said:

$48,000 for a 44k miler 2013 Model S 85 with the "remaining battery and drive warranty and a four year, 50,000 miles pre-owned limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance". Taken directly from their website for all the world to see. They have lost half their value, which is in line with almost all other cars

"The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time and use. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is NOT covered under this Battery Limited Warranty. See your owner documentation for important information on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Battery." Page 3 of the Models S warranty handbook.

It's the fine print that always gets you! :D :D :D :D

No question they don't cover normal battery degradation.
Where I was trying to correctly you was where you mentioned a 125k mile warrantee. It is unlimited miles

As for resale, sure you can find some equal to what other cars are reselling for. The average is slightly above. Which supports the comment that they hold their value "well".

DuncanCunningham said:
OK to clarify. Upgrades, as in software and they seem to take more than a passing interest in ownership issues. I still love my Leaf even if their dealer network is not interested in them. Tesla owners I've met rave about it, as they should, my house cost about 1 and 1/2 Tesla's so they should be pleased with them. I'm not jealous at all of those who can afford a Tesla. One day I might find one old enough I can afford it.

You may want to edit, or ask a mod to edit the title.
It is highly suggestive that you are looking for a battery upgrade program, which Tesla does not offer.
I don't expect any car company will ever do that as a general rule.

As for the software upgrades, yes, those are wonderful, and as an owner, I have loved it. It would take a lot for me to buy any car that didn't offer this in the future.

Zythryn said:
It is highly suggestive that you are looking for a battery upgrade program, which Tesla does not offer.

I'm not the original poster.. as with most of these threads, I managed to derail it into the path of another train going the other way. My apologies to the OP. choo choo

In other news...
PicNews150501.jpg

DuncanCunningham said:
Zythryn said:

I'm not the original poster.. as with most of these threads, I managed to derail it into the path of another train going the other way. My apologies to the OP. choo choo

In other news...
PicNews150501.jpg

Ah, my apologies.

As for the image, I see you take after the Thomas Edison school of mud slinging ;)

I think it's time for the upgrade / mod industry to step in the BEV market

in the ICE world there are lots of aftermarket companies making all kind of upgrade / mods for ICE vehicles so why not exploring the EV market? I see a business in upgrading batteries; taking out the old ones and replace them with new upgraded ones.

GreenCarReports today reported that Nissan is no longer selling LEAFs with the 24kwh battery. Even the base 2016 LEAF has the 30kwh battery. So presumably they are no longer making the 24kwh battery. Doesn't this imply that anyone purchasing a replacement battery for their 2011-2015 LEAF will get a 30kwh battery?

Back