Amund
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 019072

When will Nissan provide battery upgrade program?

Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:19 am

The current NIssan battery exchange program is outdated:
NIssan does not provide capacity upgrade.

BMW do provide battery battery exchange with capacity upgrade.
Renault do as well:
A battery swap from 22kwh to 41 kwh for Renault Zoe, will cost 2500-3000€

aarond12
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 311353

Re: When will Nissan provide battery upgrade program?

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:01 am

Not sure where you're getting your information about the Zoe. The upgraded battery was just leaked yesterday with no talk of a battery swap. Instead, the €2500 you mentioned was the price increase over a base Zoe.

Think about this: You buy a 16GB iPad and find out it's too small. Will Apple swap out the motherboard for you so you can have a larger capacity? Nope. They want you to buy a new iPad. Nissan is the same way. They don't want to extend the life of existing LEAFs -- that's bad business -- they want you to buy a new one.
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES (lease ended) • 2015 Nissan LEAF S • Tesla Model 3 reserved
Mods: Matte black Juke wheels, LED headlights and accessory lights, horn, CarPlay receiver

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:47 am

aarond12 wrote: They don't want to extend the life of existing LEAFs -- that's bad business --

That is what Nissan think. Tesla, on the other hand are with you on the ownership of the car, give you upgrades and want to keep you as a customer going forward. I think this is why Tesla's hold their value so well and maybe because they are of limited supply too, I guess. If your Nissan leaf could have affordable upgrades and replacements I think their resale value would be better. Nissan are hurting a lot from the low resale values of the cars and their attitude towards them makes the circles of devalue ever decreasing.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

Jedlacks
Delivery Date: 29 May 2016

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:43 am

DuncanCunningham wrote:
aarond12 wrote: They don't want to extend the life of existing LEAFs -- that's bad business --

That is what Nissan think. Tesla, on the other hand are with you on the ownership of the car, give you upgrades and want to keep you as a customer going forward. I think this is why Tesla's hold their value so well and maybe because they are of limited supply too, I guess. If your Nissan leaf could have affordable upgrades and replacements I think their resale value would be better. Nissan are hurting a lot from the low resale values of the cars and their attitude towards them makes the circles of devalue ever decreasing.

Tesla gives you software updates over wifi. If your first generation Models S does not have the hardware to go "autonomous" for example, you will not be ungraded to get that. Actually, you will pay a premium to have any upgrades after you take delivery.

Define "hold their value" You can get a three year old used Tesla for 50% off from the factory. Do a search for Tesla CPO and their site pops up.

The Tesla battery costs at least $10,000 for the 60 kwh, and $12,000 for the 85kwh. Their batteries have an 8 year warranty 125,000 mile warranty. if you extrapolate the Leaf's battery, you will see that they are inline.

Please, let us not all start pretending that Elon is giving things away, while Ghosn is the anti-christ.
2015 SV QC/LED
Juicebox 40A

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:20 pm

Jedlacks wrote:Please, let us not all start pretending that Elon is giving things away, while Ghosn is the anti-christ.

I'm not insinuating any such thing. You are preaching to the choir. I love my Nissan Leaf and my Wife loves hers too. I have no designs on a Tesla. Far too rich for my wallet I'm afraid.

davewill

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:45 pm

At the Greek calends.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Jedlacks
Delivery Date: 29 May 2016

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:58 pm

DuncanCunningham wrote:
Jedlacks wrote:Please, let us not all start pretending that Elon is giving things away, while Ghosn is the anti-christ.

I'm not insinuating any such thing. You are preaching to the choir. I love my Nissan Leaf and my Wife loves hers too. I have no designs on a Tesla. Far too rich for my wallet I'm afraid.

Respect... I kindly take back whatever offended you. :D
2015 SV QC/LED
Juicebox 40A

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Jedlacks wrote:
DuncanCunningham wrote:

Respect... I kindly take back whatever offended you. :D

not offended one bit.

808pv

Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:55 am

aarond12 wrote: Think about this: You buy a 16GB iPad and find out it's too small. Will Apple swap out the motherboard for you so you can have a larger capacity? Nope. They want you to buy a new iPad. Nissan is the same way. They don't want to extend the life of existing LEAFs -- that's bad business -- they want you to buy a new one.

Agree that seems to be Nissan's approach, but I'd argue that cars aren't quite as disposable as tablets. Most desktop computers, for example, can take RAM and other upgrades. Nissan should do the same for the Leaf. I'd cheerfully drop a large chunk of change on a battery upgrade, but if getting a bigger battery means getting a new car, it probably won't be a Nissan -- and my options seem to increase with every auto show.

Zythryn

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:15 am

DuncanCunningham wrote:

That is what Nissan think. Tesla, on the other hand are with you on the ownership of the car, give you upgrades and want to keep you as a customer going forward. ...

Tesla does offer free upgrades, but even paid upgrades for the battery packs are exceptions. Normally they are not available.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt & Leaf
Current owner of Model S
http://www.netzeromn.com

Return to “Batteries & Charging”