New battery in 1 wk from diagnose to install, a record?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braineo

My Nissan Lottery ticket came in this past Monday after 33k miles and 3 yrs and 10.5 months of ownership of a demo 2011 SL bought Nov 29, 2012. Took the car in on Tuesday to the largest Nissan dealer in town (Regal Nissan in Roswell GA). Battery replacement was accepted by Nissan, picked up car Wednesday and was told 8-12 weeks until battery shows up. Got a call Thursday that they got my battery, took it out yesterday and I got the call back at 2pm that they were done. Picking it up in a few hours.

braineo said:
My Nissan Lottery ticket came in this past Monday after 33k miles and 3 yrs and 10.5 months of ownership of a demo 2011 SL bought Nov 29, 2012.

I too had a demo 2011, which the dealership in Tampa had on their lot for 10 months or so. I think these dealers killed the batteries of those LEAFs by keeping them charged to100% all the time, and of course in Tampa it was out in the heat and the sun. I lost the fourth bar probably just a bit later than the 33K miles, IIRC at about 37K miles, and also just under 4 years of ownership, but I kept driving until I was just a few miles under the 60K mile limit before I had the batteries replaced under warranty. It got to be very interesting trying to keep the car going there at the end with such a small 26 mile range.

The dealership that I went to, Hill Nissan in Winter Haven FL, got things done in just about the same amount of time, the batteries actually got to them from the Orlando warehouse in two days! Their LEAF mechanic though had some other commitments before he got to mine. And I was actually hoping to wait 8 or 10 weeks until it got cooler here in Florida, but I definitely can't complain.

I just had mine replaced this past Tuesday in North Carolina. I think Nissan manufactured a quick run of 24kW packs before they ended production this month of that pack in the states. I was quoted 8-12 weeks but got mine in 3. Hahaha.

260 GIDS on day 1-5, Today I got 280 GIDS on new pack, anybody can tell what the max GIDS I can expect o. The new pack once it stabilizes?

braineo said:
260 GIDS on day 1-5, Today I got 280 GIDS on new pack, anybody can tell what the max GIDS I can expect o. The new pack once it stabilizes?

hmmm, 292 or 284.... heard some 2015's got that high

I got 276 gids the first morning after I got my new battery a few days ago. SOC was 92.1%. After that I have only been charging it to 80% since I don't need anymore than 30 or so miles a day. If I were to let it charge to 100% each night would it ever show 100 SOC? SOH is 100% on the new battery. I got this car used so I don't have any experience on how they acted new.

Congrats to all of you that also got a new battery. :)

John

jjleejr said:
I got 276 gids the first morning after I got my new battery a few days ago. SOC was 92.1%. After that I have only been charging it to 80% since I don't need anymore than 30 or so miles a day. If I were to let it charge to 100% each night would it ever show 100 SOC? SOH is 100% on the new battery. I got this car used so I don't have any experience on how they acted new.

Congrats to all of you that also got a new battery. :)

John

It will never actually charge to SOC = 100%. Sounds like your battery is OK with SOH = 100%. It would probably take a few 100% charges to push the GIDs up any more.

I posted my experience in the 'how long til 4th bar drops' thread, but haven't gotten any replies yet. My new pack was installed on 11/5, and my leafspy data is puzzling. On a full charge, I get around 292 GIDS, and 92 miles on the GOM, but AHr is only 64.38, SOH is 65% (which is what it was with my old battery), Hx is hovering in the 99.4-99.89% range, and before I drive it, the battery cells are almost entirely red (shunting). After driving for awhile, they turn blue.

Has anyone else seen their SOH remain unchanged after a battery replacement, or AHrs less than 66? I'm wondering if Nissan failed to reset something in the controller? Also, when I picked up my car, the battery was not fully charged -- were they supposed to do a deep discharge and full charge to balance the cells, before releasing it? I just don't want to find out in a few months, that the pack is wearing out rapidly because it wasn't properly installed! :?

tungsten said:
I posted my experience in the 'how long til 4th bar drops' thread, but haven't gotten any replies yet. My new pack was installed on 11/5, and my leafspy data is puzzling. On a full charge, I get around 292 GIDS, and 92 miles on the GOM, but AHr is only 64.38, SOH is 65% (which is what it was with my old battery), Hx is hovering in the 99.4-99.89% range, and before I drive it, the battery cells are almost entirely red (shunting). After driving for awhile, they turn blue.

Has anyone else seen their SOH remain unchanged after a battery replacement, or AHrs less than 66? I'm wondering if Nissan failed to reset something in the controller? Also, when I picked up my car, the battery was not fully charged -- were they supposed to do a deep discharge and full charge to balance the cells, before releasing it? I just don't want to find out in a few months, that the pack is wearing out rapidly because it wasn't properly installed! :?

nope and I have changed cars twice, checked other cars a half dozen times and every time all the info updated immediately.

if on a full charge all the shunts are red, this means your top end balancing is still not optimal and I think your numbers reflect that. for whatever reason, your Hx can go over 100% and 105% is not uncommon.

how many fast charges have you done on the new pack. what is your driving habits and distances?

@DaveinOlyWA

I haven't done any quick charging with the new pack. Except for about an hour on L2, at the dealership before I picked it up, it's all been trickle charging. I commute about 16 miles to work, mostly downhill, and then back, almost entirely freeway (the return trip is usually stop and go due to rush hour traffic).

Someone on the other thread speculated that the tech probably didn't reset the long term capacity data. I haven't had time to call the dealership to ask them whether that will have any long term detrimental impact on the new pack, but I plan to do that, soon.

Thanks for your reply!

I wouldn't sweat it. The ECU will eventually adjust. No risk in damaging your new pack, either. Enjoy the new pack!

drees said:
I wouldn't sweat it. The ECU will eventually adjust. No risk in damaging your new pack, either. Enjoy the new pack!

yep, "normal" in that its been reported several times that the BMS has to relearn the pack... I only wish that someone had an explanation to this "normal" occurrence

Back