%/kWh trending up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rwm

I've been keeping track of charges since getting my leaf a few weeks ago and have done 5 fast charges out of 13 charges in total, using everything from L1 house to L3 listed below.

I've noticed that with each DCFC, the kWh/% is clearly trending down. Any ideas why?? I've considered the starting and ending %'s, the temperature, used different DCFC's, and have no clue why just this number is trending down.

This number clearly trending down appears to me that it implies the battery is losing capacity. ie. at first it took 0.207 kWh to raise 1%, but now it takes only 0.185 kWh to raise 1%. The kWh values are reported by the chargers, while the % is my dash display.

But that's also contrary to my Hx going from 99.5 to 106% and down to now 104% over this time.

edit.. crap. sorry for formatting below. it looks like an organized table in the text input and goes to crap in the published post. Out of exasperation and a desire to go to sleep i've added semicolons.

DCFC's date odo; %from; %to; % charged; kWh; time(min); avg kW; %/kWh; kWh/%; Final Bat Temp
wilson 10/20/2016 14:20 34400; 17; 90; 73; 15.1; 52; 17.4; 4.83; 0.207; 18.5
Hastings 10/30/2016 14:31 34882; 13; 80; 67; 13.4 ; 27; 30.1; 4.85; 0.206; 25.5
Hastings 11/3/2016 9:58 34969; 39; 89; 50; 10.0 ; 35; 17.2; 4.90; 0.204; 17.4
uptown 11/5/2016 14:44 35087; 38; 97; 59; 11.8; 49; 14.5; 5.01; 0.200; 25.3
colwood 11/8/2016 18:31 35438; 34; 92; 58; 11.6; 41; 17.0; 5.40; 0.185; 30.6

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I also can only guess you're getting the kWh value from Leaf Spy.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22817&p=473975&hilit=never+documented#p473975
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=472552#p472552
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22376&p=467636&hilit=never+documented#p467636

SOH and Hx values can also rise and fall.

No, kWh not from leaf spy. It is as reported by each dcfc station. I know it's probably not a big deal but it's unusual to have such a clear trend without it being linked to anything, and if it continues that's when I'd be more concerned.

Hi,
If it's charging rates on L3 we are talking about here, they will vary depending on quite a few variables. The state of charge when you start the session, Battery temp at the session start and, other states of the battery like how balanced it is at the time.
One thing that is consistent is above 80% charge the charge rates drop quite a bit and not consistently. The data report displays I believe are similar to the progress bars when installing software. It gives the user some indication that there is progress but it isn't a precise measurement nessesarily.
It's easy to get some anxiety over battery health cause it's a very expensive wear item.
I don't see which Leaf you have but my 2016 SV with the larger battery can do 100 miles on a charge without hitting VLB pretty reliably.
I have 12k miles on it since I got it new in April. It's my only car. I'm taking it to Boston Ma. today from Montpelier VT to drop my daughter at the airport and return home immediately. I have done this trip last spring as well and a run to Albany NY and back in one session from home last summer in 84 F temps. That time i got the battery temp to 9 bars on the last charge. My heart went up after that charge and has stayed there since.
I think unless you have a bad cell and your range is all of a sudden reduced from what you have been getting just drive it and enjoy the quiet.
Like I said, We have so many tools to monitor the variables with these batteries that we can get over anxious about the changes.
I have found the LeafSpy app very helpful to see whats actually happening but take it with a grain of salt.
The only action we can take is to bring it to Nissan and all they will do read the health bars and test the cells. If they think it's needed. You won't get any work done on it unless there is a substantial defect.
LeafSpy will tell you if you have a questionable cell so that will save you a trip to the dealer.

Rwm said:
No, kWh not from leaf spy. It is as reported by each dcfc station. I know it's probably not a big deal but it's unusual to have such a clear trend without it being linked to anything, and if it continues that's when I'd be more concerned.

what the station reports verses what LEAF Spy reports varies WIDELY. check my blog I have several instances of differences approaching FIFTY PERCENT.

add to that a fast charger efficiency running between 91% to 95% FYI; that is NOT a 4% difference.

LEAF Spy is not perfect (only because it relies on Nissan instrumentation)

What it is is a super cheap way to get a mountain of data on your LEAF. But one of the biggest advantages (from a guy who has attempted to start a dialogue with dozens of app developers with a success rate of maybe 10%) is that the developer is right here on MNL and has been very proactive on this site

but if you were to do this your cost

$20 LEAF Spy Pro (get the pro, support the Man!)

up to $20 Can reader

Android Phone cost will vary. if you use Android, fine. if not, used ones or super cheap ones are at every "authorized retailer" of a major wireless provider. I simply pulled an old phone out of the drawer to use so my cost; ZERO

you could use your regular phone but I use my phone way too much to add other apps running in the background

DaveinOlyWA said:
Android Phone cost will vary. if you use Android, fine. if not, used ones or super cheap ones are at every "authorized retailer" of a major wireless provider. I simply pulled an old phone out of the drawer to use so my cost; ZERO

you could use your regular phone but I use my phone way too much to add other apps running in the background

One other possibility is to use an Android tablet. I had an older Toshiba Thrive tablet that wasn't being used much anymore, and LeafSpy works fine on it. I just have it in the car all the time, plugged into a little inverter to keep it charged.

I have a 2011 Leaf vin #1241. My range has gone down to about 60 mi on a full charge for about the last year but just last week it suddenly dropped to 45. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Could it be the fault of my charger? or battery? dash reads loss of 3 bars, that hasn't changed. What should I do? Jane

santamonicajane said:
I have a 2011 Leaf vin #1241. My range has gone down to about 60 mi on a full charge for about the last year but just last week it suddenly dropped to 45. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Could it be the fault of my charger? or battery? dash reads loss of 3 bars, that hasn't changed. What should I do? Jane
Insufficient info. And, this isn't the right thread to be asking this.

Please answer http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=275421#p275421 in some other range complaint/loss/question thread.

We have no idea how you're determining "60" or "45".

Back