Will battery heater function with 12v battery disconnected?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hacksaw72

We'll be traveling for a couple of weeks and a few nights while we're gone the temp is supposed to go down to near 1 degree Fahrenheit. I've read that a Leaf should be charged to about 60% and then the 12v battery disconnected to maintain battery life. However, I'm concerned that the battery heater won't function, if necessary, if the 12v isn't connected. Can anyone confirm that disconnecting the 12v battery does not interfere with the automatic function of the battery heater?

Much thanks!

Hacksaw72 said:
However, I'm concerned that the battery heater won't function, if necessary, if the 12v isn't connected
I wouldn't do that. If the 12 volt's not connected, I doubt there's anything to power the 12 volt bus and systems and thus nothing to trigger the battery heater.

cwerdna said:
Hacksaw72 said:
However, I'm concerned that the battery heater won't function, if necessary, if the 12v isn't connected
I wouldn't do that. If the 12 volt's not connected, I doubt there's anything to power the 12 volt bus and systems and thus nothing to trigger the battery heater.
+1 and as Phatcat73 said, a battery tender is the way to go, they start ~$20 and take very little power from the grid.

Leave the charge state around 60% and disconnect one 12V terminal.
Don't worry. 1F is not cold enough.
IF you come back first thing you do is connect 12V battery terminal.
If battery is that cold you might have limited power available and heater might
kick in for few hours. If there is no battery temperature bars available just wait,
don't drive aggressively. Don't charge above 80%.

This applied to 2011/2012 Leafs. Newer Leafs don't torture 12V battery that much.
For few weeks you can leave 12V hooked up.

Back