Battery disposal

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JosephMike

I recently bought a new battery for my Nissan leaf 2015. I am now confused on how to dispose my old car battery. I recently read an article regarding battery disposal which pointed out that batteries should be disposed with care. How do you all dispose your old car batteries?? Any suggestions regarding this are greatly welcomed.

Take the old battery back to where you bought the new one. There is usually a core charge that gets refunded when you return the old battery. If you did not pay a core charge, take it to any auto parts store for disposal. They might even pay you a core charge for the battery.

If you are talking about a 12V lead-acid battery, it is no different from any other wet car battery. Keep it upright so the acid doesn't spill. Cover the posts with something insulating so you don't short the terminals. Take it to a place that reclaims the lead in it, such as an auto parts store.

If you are talking about a traction battery, that's another story. The old one is worth a lot of money, even if old. Start with Nissan for recycling. They buy back Leaf battery packs.

Bob

Bob said:
If you are talking about a 12V lead-acid battery, it is no different from any other wet car battery. Keep it upright so the acid doesn't spill. Cover the posts with something insulating so you don't short the terminals. Take it to a place that reclaims the lead in it, such as an auto parts store.

If you are talking about a traction battery, that's another story. The old one is worth a lot of money, even if old. Start with Nissan for recycling. They buy back Leaf battery packs.

Bob

If you're replacing the traction battery, Nissan is definitely keeping the old one so it seems OP must be talking about the 12V battery.

At least in the U.S. there is really no problem recycling automobile 12V batteries. The value of the materials leads to over 99 percent recycle rate. Just take it to an auto parts store or hazardous waste facility.

Maybe OP is from another country?
EDIT: I see from his other post he's from Canada. This should help:
https://info.kaltire.com/car-battery-recycling-in-canada/

xMRDflf.gif

If the OP is indeed from Canada, there should be no question about disposal of a 12 volt battery. Just like in the US, auto parts stores will automatically insert a core charge upon purchase of the new one, to be refunded when the old one is returned.

You can actually return almost any lead-acid battery to an auto parts store, including UPS batteries. I've done that. They don't give you $5 credit for each, but I did get $5 credit for three UPS batteries when buying a car battery.

Back