80% timer was ignored and car charged to 100%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaug025

I have the timer set on my 2013 leaf to only charge to 80%. This morning when I unplugged I noticed that car had charged all the way to 100%. I did NOT hit the override button last night when I plugged it in. Has anyone else had a problem with the car charging to 100% when it should not have?

Note pushing the timer override button has nothing to do with the 80% charge option on a '13, it just bypasses any timer you may have set. If you have 80% enabled in the settings, the only way to change it to 100% would be to go in the settings and change it to 100%. That said I'm not really sure why your car charged to 100% when set for 80 :? were you using the climate control timer? still shouldn't do what it did but it's a thought....

jjeff said:
Note pushing the timer override button has nothing to do with the 80% charge option on a '13, it just bypasses any timer you may have set. If you have 80% enabled in the settings, the only way to change it to 100% would be to go in the settings and change it to 100%. That said I'm not really sure why your car charged to 100% when set for 80 :? were you using the climate control timer? still shouldn't do what it did but it's a thought....

Thanks for your thoughts. I do have the 80% setting checked in the daily timer settings, but not in the non-timer settings. My timer is set to begin charging daily at 2am. No climate control settings are set.

I'll see what happens tonight, but it was weird to see it charged to 100% this morning. We have only charged it to 100% a few times, and to do so you need to hit the override button, otherwise the timer is controlling it to 80%.

Should I delete the timers and reset them?

There's a separate 80/100% setting for the timer based charging. Basically, they are indepedent and the adhoc charging limiter has no effect on the timer based charging - and visa versa.

There's an options button in the timer settings, where you'll see the 80%/100% setting for timer charging only.

Actually, the option you need is called % Charge, which is in the charge timer settings. Just looked it up in the owner's manual for you, my wife has the Leaf right now :(

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/NissanLEAF/2013/2013-NissanLEAF-owner-manual.pdf

See page CH-21 to CH-23 and in particular the first screenshot on CH-22, where you'll see the % Charge option

eaug025 said:
jjeff said:

Thanks for your thoughts. I do have the 80% setting checked in the daily timer settings, but not in the non-timer settings. My timer is set to begin charging daily at 2am. No climate control settings are set.

I'll see what happens tonight, but it was weird to see it charged to 100% this morning. We have only charged it to 100% a few times, and to do so you need to hit the override button, otherwise the timer is controlling it to 80%.

Should I delete the timers and reset them?
Yes having the S model '13 I kind of forget about the 80% timer option which the S lacks, my '12SL has it but it lacks the other 80% non-timer option.
I guess I'd just monitor it, if it doesn't happen again consider it just a fluke, if it does happen again maybe do as you said, delete and then reprogram the timers.

jjeff said:

Many people set the charge limit at 100%, and set a daily timer to start and end at the same time of day with an 80% timer limit, effectively charging to 80% normally, but charging to 100% if the timer override button is pressed. I don't know if the OP is doing this or just using a daily timer to end at 80% before the trip to work, but in either case pressing the override button would definitely result in a 100% charge, given the extra time to get there.

OP: is it possible that someone else (like a child) pressed the override after you plugged in and walked away? Was the car locked?

The OP hasn't explained whether he has an S, SV, or SL.

With a 2013 SV/SL, if you enable long life mode (80% charge) via the Zero Emissions menu, that setting is ignored when using a charge timer. A charge timer has a separate setting, % Charge, for enabling long life mode for timer based charging.

If he has an S model, there appears to only be one setting, which is equivalent to the Zero Emissions long life setting on an SV/SL.

@eaug025 - please add a signature to your user profile, detailing your Leaf (year, model, etc) - it's just so much easier for the community if you do that, rather than having to guess things ;)

Back