Portable charger undervoltage protection

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0SmooK0

Hi,

So I have this third-party charger since my Leaf is imported from USA and 110V chargers are not compatible with our grid in Europe.

It works well in newer projects, but in my older house it charges for a bit and then undervoltage protection kicks in and it stops charging. I have had no issues with my other devices ever.
Would buying another charger would solve this issue? Or perhaps there are PC UPS like products that would balance power in my sockets so it would charge properly?

Thanks!

For level 1 and 2 AC charging, the charger is on-board the car. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14728&p=332668#p332668 and the diagram I pointed to.

For level 1 and 2 AC charging, the external unit is NOT a charger. It's an EVSE.

There may be some other underlying issue w/the EVSE, on-board charger or connectivity over there. In the US, a lot of commercial level 2 charging is at 208 volts, not 240, since 208 volts is apparently common commercial power. Almost all of my charging is on 208 volt level 2 EVSEs.

How are you determining "undervoltage protection kicks in"?

Thanks for clarification.

So this could be not the EVSE problem, but actually the grid of the house. I'm determining it from the lights indicators on the EVSE - in the manual it says it's undervoltage/overvoltage protection.

cwerdna said:
0SmooK0 said:
I'm determining it from the lights indicators on the EVSE - in the manual it says it's undervoltage/overvoltage protection.
Which EVSE do you have?

It's of a small company, but it seem to be wired similarly to DOSTAR one albeit with amperage control.
I've contacted our houses electricity provider and they assured me that they will measure the line to our house and see if there are any issues with it. Newer project houses work flawlessly, so hopefully they find an issue with our electricity so they can try fixing it.

Back