GRA

Hawaii study finds vehicle-to-grid discharge detrimental to EV batteries

Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Via GCC, but comes as no surprise: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/05 ... 5-v2g.html

Results of a study by a team at the Hawaii Natural Energy Institute, SOEST, University of Hawaii at Manoa, suggest that the additional cycling to discharge vehicle batteries to the power grid in a vehicle-to-grid (V2G) scenario, even at constant power, is detrimental to EV battery cell performance. . . .

By contrast, the researchers found that delaying the grid-to-vehicle (G2V) charge in order to reduce the impact on the power grid had a negligible impact on the cells at room temperature, but could be significant in warmer climates. . . .

The Hawaii team performed laboratory testing on commercial Li-ion cells to investigate the impact of bidirectional charging on Panasonic 18650 NCA batteries. The researchers investigated the effects of V2G/G2V combined with different charging schedules (1 or 2 charges a day, immediate or delayed charging) and different charging currents (level 2 or fast charging). Further, the effect of calendar aging at different temperatures was also investigated in a second set of experiments.

The team concluded that a V2G step twice a day increased battery capacity loss by 75% and the resistance by 10%. This step once a day accelerated the capacity loss by 33% and the resistance increase by 5%. Forecasts based on the measurement results indicated that that V2G implementation would decrease the lifetime of the battery packs to under 5 years.

The team also found that calendar aging influenced the cells little enough that it was beneficial to charge the cells twice a day instead of once. Charging twice per day resulted in 5% less capacity loss and similar resistance increase compared to once per day.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: Hawaii study finds vehicle-to-grid discharge detrimental to EV batteries

Mon May 15, 2017 6:59 pm

Ouch.

Well, as Nissan has shown us, there is a wrong way to handle batteries. I would not be too quick to dismiss the idea of V2G as acknowledge the devil in the details.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

surfingslovak
Vendor

Mon May 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Tesla co-founder and first CEO Martin Eberhard on electric vehicle grid storage: "You can get about 90% of the value not by allowing the vehicle to put energy onto the grid, but rather just allowing the grid to have precise control of the charging of the vehicle."

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue May 16, 2017 12:06 am

I recall seeing a post I believe in a Leaf FB group of a guy in a Japan w/Nissan's Nichicon V2H box having lost quite a bit of capacity in his Leaf. I forget how many capacity bars he was down.

IIRC, it was enough to qualify him for a warranty replacement. :) Wish I could find the post.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Return to “Batteries & Charging”