How hard is Georgia on batteries?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckMkII

A dealer near me has a 2014 Leaf with 26,000 miles that Carfax show spent it's life in suburban Atlanta. I know that's not one of the coolest places, but that it's also not Phoenix hot or even Bakersfield hot.

My hope would be to get at least 10 years before the 80% charge range drops to 20 miles. Is that realistic? How much should that history cool my enthusiasm for this car?

It really depends on your range needs now and in the future, how much capacity the car has lost, and how hot it is where you live. (Please add your location to your user signature line.) You need to check the pack with LeafSpy; how much capacity it has lost should give you a good indication (depending on where you live) of how much it should lose in the next few years. There is a range chart here that will show you how far the car can go as it loses bars. Hopefully someone else will link to it.

Range charts at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293. There are links to versions assuming various levels of capacity loss.

10 years from original in-service date or 10 years from now? I think if the OP wants the best longevity, a '15 from a cool climate would be the best bet, if not a '14 from a cool climate.

I'd found that range chart, but not any predictions (however risky they might be) of projected bars lost going forward beyond the ages of existing Leafs. It would be interesting if someone with some expertise in batteries could post some guesses about miles, charging rates, years and summer temperatures and when the packs are going to be getting REALLY sick, like 5, 4, 3 bars remaining. Obviously, that's a complex matrix fraught with assumptions, but inquiring minds want to know.

Ten years from now was what I was thinking of.

My location is in my profile field where everyone else's is.

Sorry about the location thing. The only way to know how well these packs will age is to watch them age, as there were no extremely similar units before 2011. We can say that the early packs are a poor bet to last 10 years, but all we can really say about the 4/2013+ packs is that time seems to be much less a factor than heat.

LeftieBiker said:
Sorry about the location thing. The only way to know how well these packs will age is to watch them age, as there were no extremely similar units before 2011. We can say that the early packs are a poor bet to last 10 years, but all we can really say about the 4/2013+ packs is that time seems to be much less a factor than heat.
Yep.

Stoaty had put together a degradation model (http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery_Capacity_Loss#Battery_Aging_Model) for the crap '11 and '12 packs. AFAIK, it hasn't been updated for the 4/2013+ build date batteries nor the model year '15 "lizard" batteries (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168).

And, it seems like the 30 kWh packs in the '16 SV and SL (and "S 30") and '17 aren't holding up very well. Either that, or we're seeing defective packs in those.

Leaf only came out in December 2010, so it's pretty difficult to know for improved packs.

The key problem is that Nissan (AFAIK) has never publicly released any temp vs time degradation data for ANY of their batteries. And, we don't know how many revisions of battery chemistries there have been nor when they happened other than the lizard reference.

AFAIK, the closest we know in terms of degradation data from Nissan is http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=230478#p230478 and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802&p=230575#p230575 back during the Phoenix degradation fiasco along with a paper at http://www.nec.com/en/global/techrep/journal/g12/n01/pdf/120112.pdf published 1/12 referring to a newly developed cell. AESC is the Nissan/NEC joint venture that produces the Leaf's batteries: http://www.eco-aesc-lb.com/en/aboutus/company/. One can only presume that this or something derived from it got deployed starting 4/2013 or with model year 2015 "lizard" batteries.

I had a chance to compare 2013 Leafs from N. California and GA while I was shopping a couple of months ago. The GA packs already had about 10% more SoC loss than N. California in 3 - 4 years. By that I mean 75-85% Vs 85-95%. So somewhere in the range of double the rate of aging.

To answer your question: hard

The only saving grace here is that battery aging slows down as the years go on. Maybe not by a lot, but enough that you cannot simply double the loss from the first 3 years to know where the pack will be at 6 years. My somewhat WAG is double at 7-8 years what you lost in the first 3.

SageBrush said:
I had a chance to compare 2013 Leafs from N. California and GA while I was shopping a couple of months ago. The GA packs already had about 10% more SoC loss than N. California in 3 - 4 years. By that I mean 75-85% Vs 85-95%. So somewhere in the range of double the rate of aging.

The only saving grace here is that battery aging slows down as the years go on. Maybe not by a lot, but enough that you cannot simply double the loss from the first 3 years to know where the pack will be at 6 years. My somewhat WAG is double at 7-8 years what you lost in the first 3.

Were you able to see the build dates? The apparent chemistry change in April of 2013 will play Hell with any attempt to just compare 2013 cars as one group.

SageBrush said:

Thanks, good answer!!! I guess I will pass on that car and be patient.

Do you know where in NorCal those cars were from? I lived in San Francisco (the Fillmore and then Noe Valley) for three years, so I know how much variation there can be across rather short distances in the Bay Area. I saw one that looked attractive until I saw on Carfax that it appeared to have lived just south of Sacramento. That seemed too hot.

Another had all its location data in Fremont. A harder call, since, while I hardly ever went to Fremont, my impression is that the part near the Bay would be excellent, but that the car could very well have been commuting to/from Livermore, which would be pretty bad. Ditto San Jose cars which could be living fairly gently in Sunnyvale or suffering in Morgan Hill (I used to go mountain biking at Henry Coe State Park, so I associate Morgan Hill with an inferno).

This is driving me nuts!

LeftieBiker said:
You need to check the pack with LeafSpy; how much capacity it has lost should give you a good indication (depending on where you live) of how much it should lose in the next few years.

Are you thinking of the method described here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20676&start=20#p494600
or is there another I haven't noticed or bookmarked?

SageBrush said:
Yet another pesky scenario: I've located another dealer that has a 2014 SV originally titled in Georgia with only 12,000 miles, asking $10,700. For the same price, yet another dealer has a 2014 SV that appears to have always been here in Washington, but it has 42,000 miles since titling in June 2014. Any WAG about which of these would be a better bet? My main worry about the GA car would be that the owner compulsively topped up the battery after each short drive so it sat in the heat at 100% most of the time.

The GA car is conveniently located within a modest bike ride including a ferry crossing, so heading over there on two wheels to do an extended test drive and battery performance check would mean that I would not have to return later with my wife to pick up the car. It's one of the few dealers around that I would actually enjoy riding my bike to, although the ferry ride does suck up a lot of time.

BuckMkII said:
Do you know where in NorCal those cars were from?
The broker I bought the car from is based near Sacramento but buys the cars he knows have lived in the cooler parts of the bay area. He only buys 12 bar cars and then checks them with LeafSpy. That is how I ended up with a car that had 98% of new battery capacity at 22k miles and 33 months old.

I would not try to game location toooo much. The proof is in the pudding -- LeafSpy before you buy!
Just know enough to not be caught by a battery reset. If any doubt then pass or take for a long enough test drive to verify the battery health

BuckMkII said:
The GA car is conveniently located within a modest bike ride including a ferry crossing, so heading over there on two wheels to do an extended test drive and battery performance check would mean that I would not have to return later with my wife to pick up the car. It's one of the few dealers around that I would actually enjoy riding my bike to, although the ferry ride does suck up a lot of time.
Excellent plan!

If you like the car and battery health, knock that price down to the $8,000 range

By the way, bring along tools to remove the tyres and seat. The storage space in the LEAF is not ideal for a bicycle. Just to be on the safe side.

SageBrush said:
BuckMkII said:
Do you know where in NorCal those cars were from?
The broker I bought the car from is based near Sacramento but buys the cars he knows have lived in the cooler parts of the bay area. He only buys 12 bar cars and then checks them with LeafSpy. That is how I ended up with a car that had 98% of new battery capacity at 22k miles and 33 months old.
Wow. That's awesome! That broker must be trying to give car dealers a bad name. By which I mean a good name, playing against type.

I would not try to game location toooo much. The proof is in the pudding -- LeafSpy before you buy!
Just know enough to not be caught by a battery reset. If any doubt then pass or take for a long enough test drive to verify the battery health
Using the method you posted in the link in my reply to LeftieBiker, right? I'm still not at all sure how many ways there are to use Leaf Spy for this sort of thing.

BuckMkII said:
Using the method you posted in the link in my reply to LeftieBiker, right? I'm still not at all sure how many ways there are to use Leaf Spy for this sort of thing.
Yep

SageBrush said:
BuckMkII said:
Excellent plan!

If you like the car and battery health, knock that price down to the $8,000 range

By the way, bring along tools to remove the tyres and seat. The storage space in the LEAF is not ideal for a bicycle. Just to be on the safe side.
Oh, I travel heavy on my commuter bike. QR skewers on the hubs, but I do have a multi-tool in the pannier at all times that I use on the seat post binder bolt. Can't even remember the last time I used that tool for anything other than an obstacle to finding my house keys in the pannier pocket, so it would be nice to actually have a need for it. :D

That dealer is located on a highway that is mostly rural, so I could easily expect to do a 20 mile test drive at an almost constant 50 mph. Maintaining a steady speed would be better than driving around town?

The 2014 full capacity is 24 kWH, right?

OP,
There are two threads here that talk about the 2014 and the 2015 battery health. Some of us are from Atlanta and it's suburbs, and we post the stats monthly. Look it over and compare it to the numbers you see on the cars you are interested in.

Jedlacks said:
OP,
There are two threads here that talk about the 2014 and the 2015 battery health. Some of us are from Atlanta and it's suburbs, and we post the stats monthly. Look it over and compare it to the numbers you see on the cars you are interested in.

These threads?
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22312
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17459&start=710

I didn't find a long one for 2014 yet, so I may be missing something.

SageBrush said:
BuckMkII said:
The 2014 full capacity is 24 kWH, right?
2- 3 kWh are reserved by Nissan. A new battery at 100% would be about 21 kWh

Thanks!

Still not sure what to set as my thresholds to pass on the car. Does SOH > 91 or capacity > 19.3 kWh seem reasonable or unrealistically stringent? The car in this post has a similar history (but is a 2015) and a much lower SOH (87%, probably due to QC usage?) I was a little surprised by that number.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17459&start=710#p492277

This is the car I'm looking at, btw.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/6131779656.html

Whereabouts in Colorado do you live? I grew up in Littleton and lived in Boulder for eight years for college and my first job. Still a couple more years until I've lived half my life a mile below normal ground level!

Back