FILLUPMYEV
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 am
Delivery Date: 23 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 024591

Re: Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:02 am

Update... 12:45am

Spoke with the EV hotline again. Pretty much the same. They cannot do anything unless the dealer tells them the car was in their hands for the battery capacity issue before the warranty was over.

I had a talk with the service manager at the local dealer. He was a very friendly sounding guy. He said he'll check with his service crew to see if any of them sent away my mother regarding the capacity loss. At the end of it all, no one stepped up to the plate so nothing can be done. I can live with that. I'm over the whole issue.

I was mostly angry with the service employee that turned my mother away when she brought in the car. Yes, the employee did tell her that it'll cost her $135 for a diagnostic but the battery warranty was long over. She is cheap and did not want to spend the $135 for the dealer to tell her the battery has lost capacity. (I wouldn't have paid for a diagnostic IF I KNEW the warranty was expired also). It was also my fault for not following up with this issue sooner and waited 2 weeks to do so when my mother brought her car over to my house to ask for help with the issue.

Just placed an order for 3 Bolts earlier. My brother is still keeping his Leaf since he bought it new and pampered the vehicle. I'll have the remaining 3 Leafs washed and detailed. Will try selling them privately for a week or so before I trade them into carmax.

Again.. just to clarify myself, I am not blaming Nissan entirely for this issue. The warranty was indeed 5 days over when I phoned it in. I was frustrated with the issue because I felt like my 70 year old mother was taken advantage of since she is gullible and easy going. It could of just been an employee that was tired, lazy, careless, etc.. but whatever the case was, I still feel that it was the dealer that was wrong. I spent hours on the phone trying to ask Nissan to make things right. Failed. That's that.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. I appreciate all of it.

Cheers,

baustin
Posts: 491
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162
Location: North Las Vegas, NV

Re: Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:58 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:We can empathize with OP but as folks in PR will tell you just having more people feel sorry for you doesn't really do anything.

Dealers are happy to do stuff for where they will make money. IDK if it's been discussed does a service department get fairly compensated on a battery replacement or is it a losing deal?


When they replaced my battery, last week, he told me that Nissan pays them 4 hours labor to do a battery replacement. He said the Leaf tech has the procedure down and can do one in 3 1/2 hours now. Initially, he said, it was taking up to 6 hours to do a battery replacement.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

User avatar
LTLFTcomposite
Posts: 4337
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Boca Raton FL

Re: Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:08 am

I suggest writing up an unemotional factual account of your experience, which you mostly have already done, and post it on Nissan's Facebook page. Even though you have moved on it's helpful for others to hear.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 12224
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:59 am

I would take your Mother back to the dealership to identify the person she had the conversation with and confront him.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 26,100.2 miles.363GID Ahr 79.55Hx95.35%kwh28.1QCs227,L2's 237
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pyromancy5
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:17 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 337249

Re: Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:28 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:I would take your Mother back to the dealership to identify the person she had the conversation with and confront him.


This
2014 Leaf SL

murduc2
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:41 am

Re: Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:29 am

FILLUPMYEV wrote:Update... 12:45am

Spoke with the EV hotline again. Pretty much the same. They cannot do anything unless the dealer tells them the car was in their hands for the battery capacity issue before the warranty was over.


Just to reiterate, no one at the EV Hotline can help. It is out of warranty. Barring some one fessing up at the dealership, there is no path for an in warranty replacement.

You have a very good case for an Out of Warranty exception though.

I even did some more of the leg work.
You want to call Nissan North American Consumer Affairs. You want to open a case for an Out of Warranty exception. It is fairly simple, they get some info from you, then you need to get the car to the\a dealer so they can verify the state of the battery. Maybe you already did that, but the consumer affairs case worker will need to talk with the service manager directly regarding the vehicle.
I think the number you want is 1-800 647-7261.

I felt obligated, seeing your post to try to assist. If you can drop the cash on three new cars just to move away from Nissan over this though, I am guessing the $7000 for the battery (parts and labor) is maybe not that big a deal? For me it was. As was keeping the Leaf viable for a couple more years. That way we can wait for some of the dust can settle on recent roll outs, and get some build up in the used market, before making another purchase. Have fun with the Bolts. I will envy your range. ;)

Respectfully,
Murduc

FILLUPMYEV
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 am
Delivery Date: 23 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 024591

Re: Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:48 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:I would take your Mother back to the dealership to identify the person she had the conversation with and confront him.



:lol: My thoughts exactly..... It was my mother that insisted on dropping the whole situation.

FILLUPMYEV
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 am
Delivery Date: 23 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 024591

Re: Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:09 am

murduc2 wrote:
FILLUPMYEV wrote:Update... 12:45am

Spoke with the EV hotline again. Pretty much the same. They cannot do anything unless the dealer tells them the car was in their hands for the battery capacity issue before the warranty was over.


Just to reiterate, no one at the EV Hotline can help. It is out of warranty. Barring some one fessing up at the dealership, there is no path for an in warranty replacement.

You have a very good case for an Out of Warranty exception though.

I even did some more of the leg work.
You want to call Nissan North American Consumer Affairs. You want to open a case for an Out of Warranty exception. It is fairly simple, they get some info from you, then you need to get the car to the\a dealer so they can verify the state of the battery. Maybe you already did that, but the consumer affairs case worker will need to talk with the service manager directly regarding the vehicle.
I think the number you want is 1-800 647-7261.

I felt obligated, seeing your post to try to assist. If you can drop the cash on three new cars just to move away from Nissan over this though, I am guessing the $7000 for the battery (parts and labor) is maybe not that big a deal? For me it was. As was keeping the Leaf viable for a couple more years. That way we can wait for some of the dust can settle on recent roll outs, and get some build up in the used market, before making another purchase. Have fun with the Bolts. I will envy your range. ;)

Respectfully,
Murduc



Thank you Murduc. Truly appreciate the help. I called that number this morning and they ended up transferring me to the EV Hotline again with the same results. Hands tired. Nothing. etc...

I am not dropping the cash to purchase 3 Bolts. I'll be leasing all 3. I think EVs depreciates too quickly to purchase new at the moment even with the tax credits. $7000 for a battery replacement is not a big deal but it should have been replaced under warranty so I wouldn't even consider that route. I don't think I'd give Nissan Corp another penny of my money.

Funny thing is I was a huge Nissan enthusiast most of my life. I'm in my 30s now. I grew up admiring the gtr that was only available in Japan. I ended up purchasing one in 2009 when it was launched in the US. I've owned multiple Infinitis (g35, g37, m45, qx60). The reason my family ended up with some many Leafs for daily commuting was due to me being such a big Nissan enthusiast. I purchased 1 for myself and 2 for my parents. We don't need extended range for daily driving and the Leafs can still serve its purpose but I made the decision to sell them and switch over to Bolts due to the sour taste this incident has left in my mouth.

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4811
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:37 am

I understand you're giving up, but there is no way in hell I would. Your mom was wronged, pure and simple, and Nissan owes her a new battery.

I guess I just hate to see Nissan get away with stonewalling you.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

SageBrush
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:10 am

FILLUPMYEV wrote: I don't think I'd give Nissan Corp another penny of my money. .

I bought our LEAF used and I have not soured on it so far, but my participation in this forum has turned me against Nissan.
I'll have to say they are a corporate actor about as miserable as GM in direct facing customer support.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Return to “Batteries & Charging”