slow DCFC in winter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialgreen

In August, at about 70F, I was charging at 12.9 watt-hours/second doing DCFC. Yesterday at 16 degrees F, I was getting 5.75 watt-hours/second at the same charge station. The amount I can charge in a half-hour appears to have dropped from 23kw-hrs to 10.

Internal resistance of battery is higher at low temperatures so lithium battery controller (LBC) limits maximum charging current to keep cell voltages below the maximum allowable. The LBC also limits regeneration for the same reason.

Would charging at the end of the commute help? I had gotten into the habit of DCFC charging every other day (my commute is only 14 miles). I'm not surprised to see charging slow-down, but 57% slower? Yowza.

This reminds me that I saw a used Leaf on Craigslist, and the previous owner said he'd added a battery warmer. If I were driving, and knew I was headed to a DCFC in 10 miles, I wouldn't mind using some juice to warm the battery into a state where it would accept a fast charge.

With cold battery having lower state of charge helps to speed up quick charging.
Visiting DC station at 10-20% would be perfect.

Back