arnis
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 015896

Re: Is SOH in Leaf Spy affected by temperature? (Mine seems low)

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:40 am

SOH does not update below 5 temperature bars.
SOH reading fluctuates 1-3% all the time. No need to search for reasons.

Keep charge state between 10-70% for maximum longevity.
Short range EVs <30kWh -- Medium range: 30-60kWh -- Long range: >60kWh
Charging: Trickle <3kW -- Normal 3-22kW -- Fast 50-100kW -- Supercharging >100kW

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:29 am

arnis wrote:SOH does not update below 5 temperature bars.

Charge to 100% once or twice a month to balance the battery, as soon as reasonable before driving.

SOH can fluctuate for no real reason by as much as 10%.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:12 pm

goldbrick wrote:
ElectricEddy wrote:Leafspy reads what your pack is now

That answers my question. I guess I was wondering if the BMS or LeafSpy accounted for the temperature of the battery pack and used that to calculate some sort of 'normalized' capacity. Sounds like the answer is no.

I'll try to do some measurements in the future when time allows. We get crazy temperature swings here in CO so it would be easy to do a couple of measurements across a wide temperature swing while the car was sitting. Eg, yesterday the high was 64 here. Tonight's low is supposed to be 13. This kind of swing isn't uncommon in this part of CO during the winter so even allowing for the high thermal mass of the battery pack, it should be possible to see the effect of temperature on the estimated battery capacity.

We can have wide temperature swings in AZ also. I have noticed that a sudden temperature drop has an almost immediate impact on LEAF Spy numbers (they drop significantly), but it takes three or four days of warmer temperatures for the LEAF Spy numbers to return to normal. I saw almost complete loss of regeneration on the 2011 when there was a sudden drop in ambient temperature in the fall of 2012. It took several warm days in a row before regeneration returned to normal
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

marcelg
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2017
Leaf Number: 307144

Mon May 07, 2018 1:07 pm

arnis wrote:SOH does not update below 5 temperature bars.

Ok, thanks Amis. Will post my attempt at recalibrating the BMS below.

marcelg

Mon May 07, 2018 1:08 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
goldbrick wrote:
ElectricEddy wrote:Leafspy reads what your pack is now

That answers my question. I guess I was wondering if the BMS or LeafSpy accounted for the temperature of the battery pack and used that to calculate some sort of 'normalized' capacity. Sounds like the answer is no.

I'll try to do some measurements in the future when time allows. We get crazy temperature swings here in CO so it would be easy to do a couple of measurements across a wide temperature swing while the car was sitting. Eg, yesterday the high was 64 here. Tonight's low is supposed to be 13. This kind of swing isn't uncommon in this part of CO during the winter so even allowing for the high thermal mass of the battery pack, it should be possible to see the effect of temperature on the estimated battery capacity.

We can have wide temperature swings in AZ also. I have noticed that a sudden temperature drop has an almost immediate impact on LEAF Spy numbers (they drop significantly), but it takes three or four days of warmer temperatures for the LEAF Spy numbers to return to normal. I saw almost complete loss of regeneration on the 2011 when there was a sudden drop in ambient temperature in the fall of 2012. It took several warm days in a row before regeneration returned to normal

Interesting, thanks Gerry.

marcelg

Mon May 07, 2018 1:12 pm

According to that chart that has the LeafSpy SOH ratings for 30kwh Leafs degrading like an earth bound rocket, my Leaf is an outlier on the low end.

I first got LeafSpy at 2500km/4 months, and it already showed SOH at 86%. It stayed at 86% all winter, reinforcing what Amis said above.

Suspecting that the BMS had never been calibrated, I ran it down to Turtle mode, then charged to 100% on L1. It’s now reading SOH 88%, at 5500km and 8 months. 100% charge was 24.3 kwh, which is about 87% of the 28kwh that should be there when new. Hopefully it'll adjust when it warms up some more, but I have my doubts.

That's still well below the chart that's been published on all the EV sites. https://pushevs.com/2018/03/20/nissan-l ... batteries/

I’ve only had this car over the winter, so no excessive heat, and I’ve rarely charged above 80% or gone below 30%. Only 2 DCFC sessions. One up to 50%, and another at 22KW up to 90%.

Glad it’s a lease, but that was the plan anyway. When the lease is up, there will be a bunch of better longer range options.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”