Mike04
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2018

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:34 pm

cwerdna wrote:

Thanks! I noticed on Feb 21, 2018 (two days before your post) a report on Plugshare of
Scott
Nissan LEAF
CHAdeMO not working. Error message is faulty ground.

Yes, that was the day of my mishap. That was apparently posted after the mishap. I tried to report the machine malfunction at the time, but plugshare was not allowing me to for some reason. So I left unreported. But I did not see that report at the time.

Friday the 23rd was when I heard back from the dealer that my car was, as the tech said it, generating literally pages of error codes for every system in the car. Up to that point I was hoping, expecting really, that it needed a simple reset, or maybe had fried a fusable link, and would be back good as new.

Then I went looking here to see if other people were having similar issues and to let people know this is a possible issue.

AndrewAndDebbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:03 am
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2014
Location: Anglesey, Wales, UK

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:42 am

cwerdna wrote:
Will be interesting to know if charger or car is to blame or some of both.



Yes.

Prior to this, about the only time I'd heard of the "magic smoke" (http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/M/magic-smoke.html) being let out of CHAdeMO chargers was from not very reliable tall slim Nissan/Sumitomo DC FCs after extended sustained output connected to a Model S (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ost-772913 connected to https://web.archive.org/web/20150214040 ... ssanqc.com).



I managed to smoke a Nissan DBT/CEV rapid charger with a 2014 LEAF. This is the same design but built in France by DBT/CEV. I was the third car in line and the rapid overheated. My car was fine. The charger wasn't.

DBT/CEV and the operator went through and retrofitted all the chargers to improve cooling, reduce water ingress and set a 106A current limit. Since then they've been more reliable.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13338
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:01 am

AndrewAndDebbie wrote:
cwerdna wrote:
Will be interesting to know if charger or car is to blame or some of both.



Yes.

Prior to this, about the only time I'd heard of the "magic smoke" (http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/M/magic-smoke.html) being let out of CHAdeMO chargers was from not very reliable tall slim Nissan/Sumitomo DC FCs after extended sustained output connected to a Model S (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ost-772913 connected to https://web.archive.org/web/20150214040 ... ssanqc.com).



I managed to smoke a Nissan DBT/CEV rapid charger with a 2014 LEAF. This is the same design but built in France by DBT/CEV. I was the third car in line and the rapid overheated. My car was fine. The charger wasn't.

DBT/CEV and the operator went through and retrofitted all the chargers to improve cooling, reduce water ingress and set a 106A current limit. Since then they've been more reliable.



We had several chargers that had overheating problems as well and iirc were fixed by simply maintaining filters better and repositioning the existing fans with additional venting to better direct air flow.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:03 am

Any update?

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Mike04
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2018

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 pm

cwerdna wrote:Any update?

No update yet. Nissan sent someone "from the factory" to look at the car earlier this week. And I have been interviewed twice by Nissan customer service asking what happened. They have lots of questions for me but nothing about how or why they think this might have happened or what they plan to do.

I will update if/when I get more info. Meanwhile I have a loaner 2016 Leaf from the dealer.

jonathanfields4ever
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:55 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2018
Location: Kyoto

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Mike04 wrote:
cwerdna wrote:Any update?

No update yet. Nissan sent someone "from the factory" to look at the car earlier this week. And I have been interviewed twice by Nissan customer service asking what happened. They have lots of questions for me but nothing about how or why they think this might have happened or what they plan to do.

I will update if/when I get more info. Meanwhile I have a loaner 2016 Leaf from the dealer.


That really sucks that they have you driving an older loaner. Please keep us updated on your situation. I have to use ChaDemo (trying to stick to lower rated machines like 20kW to 40kW) almost exclusively for the next month, so I'd be interested to see if there's something I need to watch out for.

Phatcat73
Posts: 473
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:44 pm
Leaf Number: 401511
Location: Buffalo Grove, Il

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:36 am

30 day lemon law deadline is approaching. Be sure to read the guidelines

http://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/ ... lemon.aspx
2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD
2016 SV; leased 20-Jan-17, 18k, 87% SOH; 4-July-18
2015 S; purchased 29-July-14, moved to AZ Nov-2014, 22k, 82% SOH; 01-Mar-18
Solar Array: https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/public_systems/VHKv1444344/overview

Mike04
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2018

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:21 am

jonathanfields4ever wrote:
Mike04 wrote:
cwerdna wrote:Any update?

No update yet. Nissan sent someone "from the factory" to look at the car earlier this week. And I have been interviewed twice by Nissan customer service asking what happened. They have lots of questions for me but nothing about how or why they think this might have happened or what they plan to do.

I will update if/when I get more info. Meanwhile I have a loaner 2016 Leaf from the dealer.


That really sucks that they have you driving an older loaner. Please keep us updated on your situation. I have to use ChaDemo (trying to stick to lower rated machines like 20kW to 40kW) almost exclusively for the next month, so I'd be interested to see if there's something I need to watch out for.

The dealer sevice manager says the people at the factory are really interested in my car because no one has ever seen this before. The folks at Greenlots said the same, that this is the first they have seen. Service guy says there was no change to the CHAdeMO port, it is the same hardware and software as earlier models. So hopefully this was a one in a million fluke, the stars and moon alligned just right, and not an issue with the new Leaf.

Mike04
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2018

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:28 am

Phatcat73 wrote:30 day lemon law deadline is approaching. Be sure to read the guidelines

http://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/ ... lemon.aspx

As I understand, it is not a 30 day deadline, it is that I have to give them 30 days to make it right before I can invoke the lemon law and demand replacement or refund. Maybe I misunderstood.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13338
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:27 am

cwerdna wrote:Any update?


I talked to AV tech who was doing general maintenance on Tumwater Station yesterday and they know what the issue is concerning the 2018 LEAFs but would not elaborate. It would appear that AV is in wait mode in its collaboration with Nissan on how to proceed.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Batteries & Charging”