User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 am

RegGuheert wrote:But that doesn't mean that some implementations of the old specification didn't fudge a bit or that some of the implementations were fully compliant but were done in such a way that was never conceived of by the standards committee.
I should add that is is also very possible that Nissan has a problem with their implementation of the CHAdeMO specification in the 2018 LEAF.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12965
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:58 am

RegGuheert wrote:
RegGuheert wrote:But that doesn't mean that some implementations of the old specification didn't fudge a bit or that some of the implementations were fully compliant but were done in such a way that was never conceived of by the standards committee.
I should add that is is also very possible that Nissan has a problem with their implementation of the CHAdeMO specification in the 2018 LEAF.


From LEAFer in Quebec

"I got the same issue on the 2018 LEAF SL Demo unit we got from the dealer at Quebec city yesterday,
I tried many times on both blue DCFC charging stations (Flo and ElectricCircuit) but nothing happen.
400V DCFC charging station can't start charging the 2018 LEAF Demo unit."
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 5775 miles, 488 GIDs, 38 kwh 113.37 Ahr available, SOH 98.21, Hx 115.75
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike04
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2018

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:02 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
RegGuheert wrote:DaveinOlyWA also had some issues with ChaDeMo:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:My 2018 does not charge on AV DCFC. It fails during voltage test. Works on other DCFCs so wondering if anyone else has seen this?


*scraping plans to test car on Greenlots*


Greenlots was the company that managed the charger, the guy at Greenlots said that Signet was the manufacturer of the charger.

Mike04
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2018

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:11 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Greenlots apparently uses all kinds of hardware as they are primarily a "charge management" company so it would be essential at this point to determine what brand of charger was used.

I can confirm we now have several reports that Aeroenvironment DCFCs will NOT work.

In not so unrelated news. Aeroenvironment received a 2018 LEAF to test yesterday (soooo, "now" is a good time??)


Greenlots said the charger was made by Signet.

Mike04
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2018

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:22 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Mike04 wrote:Sorry 6kW not 6kV. Would 6kV at 1 amp kill the Leaf?

Probably. J1772 inlet is supposed to have 240 volt input max. CHAdeMO input is about 400 volts.

Leaf battery pack operates around the mid to high 300 volt range.
Mike04 wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:Was the car still On when you tried to start charging?
sh

I believe it was not on. Certainly not intentionally. But it shouldn't matter. These things need to be idiot proof if they are going to be a mainstream mode of transportation. Anyone could forget to push the stop button.

I agree. It shouldn't matter whether the car was on or not.

Prior to model year '18, if you tried CHAdeMO charging with the car turned on first, it simply wouldn't work. It was easy to do that on the '11 and '12 due to the mechanical charging door release w/no interlock. On the '13 to '17, since you have to push a button, the opener button does nothing when the car's in READY mode. It must be turned off to release.

OP, willing to post a Plugshare link to the CHAdeMO charger you used? It'd be interesting to know the model and whether anyone else had trouble w/that unit.

Location:

https://www.plugshare.com/location/17563

cwerdna
Posts: 7830
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:27 pm

^^^
Thanks! Yours is by far the worst case. Yes, I've heard of Signet and seen them on Plugshare before. Per, https://www.chademo.com/portfolios/signet-charger-09/, they're apparently a Korean company.

Will be interesting to know if charger or car is to blame or some of both.

Prior to this, about the only time I'd heard of the "magic smoke" (http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/M/magic-smoke.html) being let out of CHAdeMO chargers was from not very reliable tall slim Nissan/Sumitomo DC FCs after extended sustained output connected to a Model S (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ost-772913 connected to https://web.archive.org/web/20150214040 ... ssanqc.com).

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Mike04
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2018

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:06 pm

cwerdna wrote:^^^

Will be interesting to know if charger or car is to blame or some of both.

.

It will be interesting to find out what caused this.

But right now I really feel like I'm more interested in how I am going to get a replacement car. I did really like my Leaf for the brief week and a half and maybe 600 miles or so that I got to drive it.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12965
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Mike04 wrote:
cwerdna wrote:^^^

Will be interesting to know if charger or car is to blame or some of both.

.

It will be interesting to find out what caused this.

But right now I really feel like I'm more interested in how I am going to get a replacement car. I did really like my Leaf for the brief week and a half and maybe 600 miles or so that I got to drive it.


thanks for the info. It will be invaluable for resolving the issues. We already have SEVERAL confirmed issues with Aeroenvironment chargers here in the Pacific Northwest so starting to look like its on Nissan right now.


Now I just got a charger error message so my LEAF is fine and yeah, its a HUGE improvement over my 30 kwh LEAF. LOVING that E Pedal!

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/02 ... downs.html
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 5775 miles, 488 GIDs, 38 kwh 113.37 Ahr available, SOH 98.21, Hx 115.75
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Posts: 7830
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:57 pm


Thanks! I noticed on Feb 21, 2018 (two days before your post) a report on Plugshare of
Scott
Nissan LEAF
CHAdeMO not working. Error message is faulty ground.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Mike04
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2018

Re: Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:06 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Mike04 wrote:
cwerdna wrote:^^^

Will be interesting to know if charger or car is to blame or some of both.

.

It will be interesting to find out what caused this.

But right now I really feel like I'm more interested in how I am going to get a replacement car. I did really like my Leaf for the brief week and a half and maybe 600 miles or so that I got to drive it.


thanks for the info. It will be invaluable for resolving the issues. We already have SEVERAL confirmed issues with Aeroenvironment chargers here in the Pacific Northwest so starting to look like its on Nissan right now.


Now I just got a charger error message so my LEAF is fine and yeah, its a HUGE improvement over my 30 kwh LEAF. LOVING that E Pedal!

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/02 ... downs.html

Yep, really loved that e-pedal.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”