Accuracy of Charge Timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuneauLeaf

We just took delivery of a used 2015 Nissan Leaf SL (98.4% SOH and 36,000 miles). We only have a trickle charge available at home, since there are free L2 chargers at work and all over town.

I’ve tried setting an end time only for our charge timer to keep the SOC at 80%, but it seems wildly inaccurate. Couple of examples:

1) With the battery SOC at 55% I set the charge timer to end at 9am (intending to leave at 8am). Got a NissanConnect message at 9pm that it had started charging. It reached 100% SOC by 6am and stopped charging.

2) With the battery at 38% SOC I set the timer to end charging at 10am. It started charging immediately and was done at 3am.

I thought the car would calculate a start time so that it would reach full charge when the timer ends. Any suggestions as to what’s going on or how to outsmart it?

Thanks!

JuneauLeaf said:
We just took delivery of a used 2015 Nissan Leaf SL (98.4% SOH and 36,000 miles). We only have a trickle charge available at home, since there are free L2 chargers at work and all over town.

I’ve tried setting an end time only for our charge timer to keep the SOC at 80%, but it seems wildly inaccurate. Couple of examples:

1) With the battery SOC at 55% I set the charge timer to end at 9am (intending to leave at 8am). Got a NissanConnect message at 9pm that it had started charging. It reached 100% SOC by 6am and stopped charging.

2) With the battery at 38% SOC I set the timer to end charging at 10am. It started charging immediately and was done at 3am.

I thought the car would calculate a start time so that it would reach full charge when the timer ends. Any suggestions as to what’s going on or how to outsmart it?

Thanks!

The car is pessimistic on how long to charge, especially for L1.

I set a start and stop time and charge for a bit over a hour maximum on home L2, set to add about 35% to the battery. Try about 6 to 8 hours between start and end time for L1. I don't plug in every day, only when the battery is below 50%. This is about every other day. The timer takes the car from less than 50% to about 80%. My current daily driving is fairly unpredictable, but is also usually fairly short. When I take longer drives, I override the timer when I get up so as to finish off the charge before departure.

I'm in a cool place, not as cool as Juneau but close.

JuneauLeaf said:
I’ve tried setting an end time only for our charge timer to keep the SOC at 80%, but it seems wildly inaccurate.

I have noticed that the accuracy gets worse as the battery loses capacity. It did end a little early when new but with 80% SOH it is way early. However, I see your battery is doing great in AK. I wish Nissan would just provide us the algorithms they use for these functions and not leave us to reverse engineer them.

It also changes with battery temperature. When the battery is warm enough the timer starts charging early and so the battery is charged up early. But when the battery is very cold it starts at about the same time but, at least on level 2 charging, takes longer to charge and many times ends up not reaching a full charge by the time it's supposed to.

I think the charge timer was designed merely for taking advantage of lower electric costs during the night. I use it, however, to 1) heat the battery a little more in the morning before taking off by waiting to charge it until the morning and 2) to keep the battery closer to 50% charged when I'm not using the car.

No problems with the timer in our car.

Perhaps you should post a photo of the settings screen

Back