LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Newbie question: 80% overnight vs morning?

Wed May 23, 2018 8:19 pm

How long do you think it would take in your future AC garage setup? Or is it something preventative?

More a way to prevent the car from heat soaking for a whole day, and then being kept warm at night as well, during a heatwave. I don't do a lot of driving anymore, so it may work. Those who drive a lot would see little benefit.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jim0266
Delivery Date: 17 Mar 2017
Leaf Number: 330446

Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm

I keep track of every charge session so I can calculate the amount of money spent on electricity. When possible I also note the amount of time for which the timer is set. Once I had enough data points I made a little card that lists the average amount of charge I get back over a set period of time for both my L2 charger and the one at work. It's not perfect as the ambient temp plays a part in the amount of charge, but it gives me a pretty decent idea for the amount of time I need to charge get to a SOC needed for the day. I live close to work and do about 2/3rds of my charging there, so I'm always shooting for minimum SOC to keep my pack on the temp golden zone.

GaryHere

Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 pm

:twisted:
LeftieBiker wrote:
How long do you think it would take in your future AC garage setup? Or is it something preventative?

More a way to prevent the car from heat soaking for a whole day, and then being kept warm at night as well, during a heatwave. I don't do a lot of driving anymore, so it may work. Those who drive a lot would see little benefit.

Very good idea I'd like to implement too but I'll need to start with a house rental first with a garage

Blink is costly to charge :ugeek:

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu May 24, 2018 11:26 pm

GaryHere wrote:I had this crazy idea today to bring my 15 Leaf to a car wash that I know has very cold water and use the undercarriage wash a few times to see if it would budge my constant 6 bar battery at all.

NO. Nothing.

The stupid temp display has huge overlapping ranges and some black box algorithm: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Batt ... ture_Gauge. It could be from 50 F to 100F and still show 6 bars.

If you used Leaf Spy, you could see the effect, if any. For me, IIRC, if battery temp passes 59 F, that's about the right point for which 4 bars becomes 5. I don't recall typically when 5 bars turns into 6.

It needs to be very cold water, much colder than ambient to help much.

The water might be actually the same temp or not much lower than ambient, But, to you, it feels cold due to its heat transfer ability vs. air. Same goes if you touch cool metal vs. cool plastic. Both might be actually the same temp, somewhere below body temp but the cool metal might feel colder since it conducts heat from your skin better.

I can see that L2 charging from 35 or 40% to 80% typically raises my pack temp a few degrees (maybe 5 to 7 F, memory foggy).
GaryHere wrote:I think you guys mentioned to me on my other thread that it takes some time for that large mass to get affected by any temp change.

Yes.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri May 25, 2018 7:44 am

I think I'm going to start treating my Leaf like a Shrimp Cocktail..... Lay it in a nice bed of ice cubes.....

GaryHere

Fri May 25, 2018 12:15 pm

cwerdna wrote:
GaryHere wrote:I had this crazy idea today to bring my 15 Leaf to a car wash that I know has very cold water and use the undercarriage wash a few times to see if it would budge my constant 6 bar battery at all.

NO. Nothing.

The stupid temp display has huge overlapping ranges and some black box algorithm: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Batt ... ture_Gauge. It could be from 50 F to 100F and still show 6 bars.

If you used Leaf Spy, you could see the effect, if any. For me, IIRC, if battery temp passes 59 F, that's about the right point for which 4 bars becomes 5. I don't recall typically when 5 bars turns into 6.

It needs to be very cold water, much colder than ambient to help much.

The water might be actually the same temp or not much lower than ambient, But, to you, it feels cold due to its heat transfer ability vs. air. Same goes if you touch cool metal vs. cool plastic. Both might be actually the same temp, somewhere below body temp but the cool metal might feel colder since it conducts heat from your skin better.

I can see that L2 charging from 35 or 40% to 80% typically raises my pack temp a few degrees (maybe 5 to 7 F, memory foggy).
GaryHere wrote:I think you guys mentioned to me on my other thread that it takes some time for that large mass to get affected by any temp change.

Yes.

Thanks. Been thinking about getting the Leaf Spy, just researching an affordable BT or Wifi OBD.

Interesting about the water and also about your pack went up a few bars with L2. I have yet to see anything rise from 6 bars yet when I have been charging.

Im going to charge now at a library and pay for it. Will be in the sun and its 100 now so I will see if the bars move up.

Been using a free Chargepoint L2 but its the other direction today.

cwerdna

Fri May 25, 2018 3:59 pm

GaryHere wrote:Thanks. Been thinking about getting the Leaf Spy, just researching an affordable BT or Wifi OBD.

Interesting about the water and also about your pack went up a few bars with L2. I have yet to see anything rise from 6 bars yet when I have been charging.

It didn't go up a few bars from L2 charging. It will either not budge or might gain 1 temp bar, esp. if it gets moved from a sunken down cooler area of the parking garage at my work than is normally much cooler on hot days that ground level temps to level 2 or 3 of my parking structure @ work. It can stay under 80 F down there even when it's 90+ F outside.

You need to use a tool like Leaf Spy to see the actual temps reported by the pack's sensors.

'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GaryHere

Fri May 25, 2018 10:01 pm

cwerdna wrote:
GaryHere wrote:Thanks. Been thinking about getting the Leaf Spy, just researching an affordable BT or Wifi OBD.

It didn't go up a few bars from L2 charging. It will either not budge or might gain 1 temp bar, esp. if it gets moved from a sunken down cooler area of the parking garage at my work than is normally much cooler on hot days that ground level temps to level 2 or 3 of my parking structure @ work. It can stay under 80 F down there even when it's 90+ F outside.

You need to use a tool like Leaf Spy to see the actual temps reported by the pack's sensors.

Today (posted in my other thread) it went up to 7 after an hr of L2 charging but after I drove home from the library where the Blink is at.

Im working on getting the Leaf Spy and OBD/etc; been looking around.

About to drive now to the store; hopefully it went back to 6 after sitting. But its still 82 here in Tucson at 2200.

Edit---- On way to store, its back to 6 bars. Going to test out if the L2 will raise it up while charging tomorrow in the heat back to less than 80% then I will do 2 days with Zero charging and see. We will have the same temps over the next few days to test this.

Hopefully you are right and it didnt go up from the L2 but that we are getting hotter at night then weeks ago.

cwerdna

Fri May 25, 2018 11:57 pm

GaryHere wrote:Im working on getting the Leaf Spy and OBD/etc; been looking around.

It's not that hard. If you have iOS, as long as your device has Bluetooth LE, the answer's simple: LELink. Or you could go with these:
viewtopic.php?p=460646#p460646.

LeafSpy author Turbo3 recommends LELink: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19147&p=527711&hilit=lelink+recommend#p527711.

He doesn't recommend wifi adapters anymore: viewtopic.php?p=525414#p525414. Before he had Bluetooth LE support on iOS, I think there was no choice on iOS but to use wifi adapters.

For Android, if you buy a cheapo phone that doesn't have Bluetooth LE, then LELink (and all Bluetooth LE devices) won't work: viewtopic.php?p=521073#p521073. There are numerous threads where people have discussed what they found does and doesn't work w/the Android version of Leaf Spy.

I listed what work for me on Android, which I bought in July 2015: viewtopic.php?p=506937#p506937. The app may not have been supported Bluetooth LE on either OS yet. And, at the time, I figured the Android version should be less buggy since Turbo3 has been at it on Android much longer than he has iOS. He had to go out of his way to buy a Mac to start work on the iOS version.

Once you see the actual temps w/Leaf Spy or something similar, you will see how crappy the temp bars are. Maybe someone in your area can loan you their dongle for a few days.

'06 Prius

GaryHere

Sat May 26, 2018 6:43 pm

cwerdna wrote:
GaryHere wrote:Im working on getting the Leaf Spy and OBD/etc; been looking around.

It's not that hard. If you have iOS, as long as your device has Bluetooth LE, the answer's simple: LELink. Or you could go with these:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 46#p460646.

LeafSpy author Turbo3 recommends LELink: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... nd#p527711.

He doesn't recommend wifi adapters anymore: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 14#p525414. Before he had Bluetooth LE support on iOS, I think there was no choice on iOS but to use wifi adapters.

For Android, if you buy a cheapo phone that doesn't have Bluetooth LE, then LELink (and all Bluetooth LE devices) won't work: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 73#p521073. There are numerous threads where people have discussed what they found does and doesn't work w/the Android version of Leaf Spy.

I listed what work for me on Android, which I bought in July 2015: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 37#p506937. The app may not have been supported Bluetooth LE on either OS yet. And, at the time, I figured the Android version should be less buggy since Turbo3 has been at it on Android much longer than he has iOS. He had to go out of his way to buy a Mac to start work on the iOS version.

Once you see the actual temps w/Leaf Spy or something similar, you will see how crappy the temp bars are. Maybe someone in your area can loan you their dongle for a few days.

I have BT on my phone so I will look into the links here and order the OBD from Amazon.

Thank you much for the resources here!

Gary

Return to “Batteries & Charging”