SageBrush
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:36 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
TexasLeaf wrote:As you may have seen from my thread, "Using speed to control battery temperature" I am trying to figure out if it's possible to control battery temperature so the TMS doesn't restrict current flow during charging. But there two things that I need to know to help me with my quest:

1. At what battery temperature does the TMS restrict CHAdeMO charging current flow?
2. What is the battery temperature rise CHAdeMO charging a cool battery at full amps from 20% to 80% charge?

I need more accurate reading than the Leaf Battery Temperature Gauge provides. I should be able to get the accuracy I need with LeafSpay but I don't have LeafSpy yet and it will probably a few weeks before I get LeafSpy. Can anyone that already has LeafSpy capture this information for us?


1) Roughly the low 90's. The slowdown is tapered based on temps at start of the charge and SOC.

2) This varies a lot but expect temps to be anywhere from mid 100's to the low 120's. In anything temperature, ambient plays a huge part.

Good information. So drivers in hot climates may see their first charge of the day already throttled.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13141
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:41 am

SageBrush wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
TexasLeaf wrote:As you may have seen from my thread, "Using speed to control battery temperature" I am trying to figure out if it's possible to control battery temperature so the TMS doesn't restrict current flow during charging. But there two things that I need to know to help me with my quest:

1. At what battery temperature does the TMS restrict CHAdeMO charging current flow?
2. What is the battery temperature rise CHAdeMO charging a cool battery at full amps from 20% to 80% charge?

I need more accurate reading than the Leaf Battery Temperature Gauge provides. I should be able to get the accuracy I need with LeafSpay but I don't have LeafSpy yet and it will probably a few weeks before I get LeafSpy. Can anyone that already has LeafSpy capture this information for us?


1) Roughly the low 90's. The slowdown is tapered based on temps at start of the charge and SOC.

2) This varies a lot but expect temps to be anywhere from mid 100's to the low 120's. In anything temperature, ambient plays a huge part.

Good information. So drivers in hot climates may see their first charge of the day already throttled.


Already verified by Jennifer in Phoenix who is getting about 25 KW on her first charge of the day. Car not garaged and most of her driving (Uber) is done at night.

She routed a A/C duct into the access panel and claims promising results but since this is very recent, I will wait for further reports from her verifying any benefit.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13141
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:41 am

TexasLeaf wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
TexasLeaf wrote: 1. At what battery temperature does the TMS restrict CHAdeMO charging current flow?
2. What is the battery temperature rise CHAdeMO charging a cool battery at full amps from 20% to 80% charge?


1) Roughly the low 90's. The slowdown is tapered based on temps at start of the charge and SOC.
2) This varies a lot but expect temps to be anywhere from mid 100's to the low 120's. In anything temperature, ambient plays a huge part.


I'm sorry but I am very skeptical of your information. I didn't think the current restriction starts until the battery temperature hit 10 bars and 10 bars doesn't even start until around 120 degrees (http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery). Your response to question 2 is meaningless because you have not identified the temperature "rise".

If you have some real data to shall I would be happy to see. If all you have is conjecture and speculation please don't bother.


10 bars? and you doubt what I have to say??
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SageBrush
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:45 am

TexasLeaf wrote:I'm sorry but I am very skeptical of your information.

Then connect LeafSpy like Dave and post your own.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

TexasLeaf
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 am
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303111

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:47 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:10 bars? and you doubt what I have to say??


I guess you didn't read the part about 10 bars starting at 120 degrees and them saying charging restriction starts at 90 degrees.

TexasLeaf
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 am
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303111

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:52 am

SageBrush wrote:Then connect LeafSpy like Dave and post your own.


I don't think Dave checked the battery temperature with LeafSpy. I was just trying to get some help until I do get LeafSpy. But the people posting to this thread seem more interested in submitting critical speculation than helping.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13141
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 am

TexasLeaf wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Then connect LeafSpy like Dave and post your own.


I don't think Dave checked the battery temperature with LeafSpy. I was just trying to get some help until I do get LeafSpy. But the people posting to this thread seem more interested in submitting critical speculation than helping.


The 2018 does not have temperature bars.

If you want LEAF Spy data until you are sick of it. Read my blog.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TexasLeaf
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 am
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303111

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:56 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:The 2018 does not have temperature bars.

If you want LEAF Spy data until you are sick of it. Read my blog.


As I already discussed in my "Using speed to control battery temperature" thread, the temperature gauge in the 2018 Leaf is not linear but a step gauge broken out into twelve segments or bars or sectors or whatever you want to call them, just like the older Leafs. It just looks like a linear gauge because there are no gaps between the bars.

I found your blog. Your March 26th fast charge test indicated that you were pulling down 110 amps with a battery temp around 110 degrees. That's a lot different than the 90 degrees you mentioned earlier. Thanks for posting all that information, I'll look through it and see how I can apply it to my quest.
Last edited by TexasLeaf on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13141
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:03 am

TexasLeaf wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:The 2018 does not have temperature bars.

If you want LEAF Spy data until you are sick of it. Read my blog.


As I already discussed in my "Using speed to control battery temperature" thread, the temperature gauge in the 2018 Leaf is not linear but a step gauge broken out into twelve segments or bars or sectors or whatever you want to call them, just like the older Leafs. It just looks like a linear gauge because there are no gaps between the bars.

What is the link to your blog?


So the middle of the gauge is the borderline between 6 and 7? Well, your 10 guess is way off.

to the right of the PM link. I have several references to the charge speed ramp down and nearly every entry has some LEAF Spy data. I would start with this one.


http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/03 ... t-two.html

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/04 ... itude.html
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thankyouOB
Posts: 3583
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:14 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442
Location: Coastal LA

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:40 am

I just replaced a 2011 with a 2018.

What happened to the 80% charge option?
Is it not necessary because the battery is larger and a portion is set aside in reserve?
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

Return to “Batteries & Charging”