Let your battery cook!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasLeaf

I performed a simulation assuming that a 2018 Leaf would DCFC for 960 miles. My simulation indicated that the trip would take 28.2 hours traveling at 45 mph with an average peak charging speed of 25 kW and that the trip would take 30.7 hours traveling at 70 mph with an average peak charging speed of 14 kW. The simulation assumed higher charging speed for the first couple of DCFCs when the battery is cool.

Is saving 2-1/2 worth traveling 25 mph slower than everyone else and risking getting rear-ended? I think not unless you just absolutely have to get there sooner. With such a small advantage in travel time over a long distance I don't think reduced speed is worth it.

I'm not worried about cooking the battery. With all the controls Nissan put into the 2018 Leaf thermal management system I don't think there is much risk of premature battery failure. And even if the battery fails, because I drove a long distance at the speed limit, Nissan would have to honor their warranty.

TexasLeaf said:
With all the controls Nissan put into the 2018 Leaf thermal management system I don't think there is much risk of premature battery failure.

I know that they dramatically cut the DCQC rates when the battery gets hot. Other than that, what controls has Nissan added in the 2018 that wasn't in the 2011 Leaf? No, this is not a leading question, I honestly want to know because I didn't think they did anything.

GetOffYourGas said:
TexasLeaf said:
With all the controls Nissan put into the 2018 Leaf thermal management system I don't think there is much risk of premature battery failure.

I know that they dramatically cut the DCQC rates when the battery gets hot. Other than that, what controls has Nissan added in the 2018 that wasn't in the 2011 Leaf? No, this is not a leading question, I honestly want to know because I didn't think they did anything.

Traction motor power and regenerative braking are reduced and the "Power limitation indicator light" comes on.

Traction motor power and regenerative braking are reduced and the "Power limitation indicator light" comes on.

Heh. That does limit further increases in heat, but the only way to get rid of what's already there quickly in warm weather is to find a wind tunnel with cold air. Nissan's "TMS" is bargain-basement.

Back