2018 Charge Timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koolpenguin

I have my Leaf set to charge from 11:00pm to 5:00am, but it starts charging as soon as I plug my level 2 charger in. Is there a setting somewhere that I'm not doing?

Sounds like you set the charge timer up, but you didn't enable it. See page CH-35 of the owner's manual for a screenshot of where you enable the timer.

Or, watch this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR80TENMJ30

I think that I have my timer set up right but last night it still started charging as soon as I plugged it in at 8:00 pm. I may end up using the delay function on my charger instead if I can't get this to work.

Do you have "Full charge has priority" selected in the charge timer menu? If so the car will ignore the charge start time and calculate when it needs to start charging. Mine is set up with a 6:00AM start time and 7:00AM end time with Full charge has priority selected. Depending on the state of charge it will usually start between 1:00AM and 3:00AM.

I have run into some problems with this method though. It seems the car uses your last charge stats to calculate when to start. I sometimes use a public L2 charger that puts out under 5kW. When I plug in at home after one of these sessions the car calculates the start time based on a 3.6kW charge rate rather than 6.6kW and starts the charge between 8:00PM and 11:00PM the day before. My solution has been to let it charge for a few minutes so it knows the current charge rate, unplug it and plug it back in. The timer then starts the charge at the correct time.

I tried all kinds of different settings but could never get the car timer to work right. So I set an alarm on my phone for 9:00 pm to remind me to plug in and then I push the 2 hour delay on my charger and presto. Starts charging at the cheap rate at 11:00 pm.. Problem solved!

If 2018 is similar to 2011 and 2015, then you need to set start time to 11:00PM and end time to 5:00 AM and enable that timer (usually Timer 1) for all 7 days. If you want a different schedule for weekends, post desired schedule so I can offer more suggestions.

I'm in the UK and have the range topping Tekna (SL in USA?) Leaf 2018, 40kWh.

For the past year I have arrived back home, pressed the button to open the flap, and the 3 blue lights start to cycle. I connect to my 7kW wall charger and then it charges up overnight. I have it set up to start charge at 06:00 and finish at 07:00. Full charge has priority and also change only at home is on. It knows I am home as my address is correct on the sat nav.

So, I have been doing this for many months.

Last Monday, 4 days ago, the car went into the dealer for its first service at 15,500 miles. Ever since then I have had problems using the charge timer. All the settings are correct and have not been changed, but when I arrive home and press the open flap button, there are no lights. Then I connect my lead it just starts charging straight away.

Not sure if I have done anything or if Nissan did when servicing it.

The charge timer is not working. Either it is not active (you'd still see the settings, I think, but would have to reactivate it) or the dealership somehow disabled it.

Back