IEVS: Tesla’s New Stance On Charging Habits + Elon Responds: Video

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://insideevs.com/teslas-new-stance-on-charging-habits-elon-responds-video/

90% daily, and 100% at least once every three months.
Being skeptical of this new recommendation, Kim decided to take her questions all the way to the top, asking Musk in a Tweet about the best state of charge practices. He replied (embedded below) that it’s not “worth it” to go below 80 percent and that 90 percent is still fine. He added that discharging to 5 percent or lower wasn’t an issue (for battery pack health). . . .
This contradicts both Elon's previous statement (80%), as well as Jeff Dahn's (70%).

No contradiction here. Elon agrees with Prof Dahn but does not view the relatively small degradation difference worth it if it leads to loss of convenience. YMMV mostly depending on how you use the car. I suffer no inconvenience charging up to 250 rather than 275 miles (of my 306 maximum) for my routine commuting so I charge up to a lower SoC.

Elon's comment that the battery can be driven down to 5% SoC without ill effect is more unexpected and I'll remain skeptical since one again, it is not an inconvenience for me to charge at ~ 20 - 30% SoC in my routine use. Long trips with Supercharger use are a different story; perhaps that context was missing in Elon's tweet ?

Back