DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13890
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Rapidgate fixed

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:37 pm

rumor has it RapidGate fix for European market only because North American Market did not complain enough.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Rapidgate fixed

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:18 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:rumor has it RapidGate fix for European market only because North American Market did not complain enough.


The US won't be receiving the European fix, mainly because Nissan has the charging data for all of the US fleet, and found that only a very small minority of 2018 cars that are part of the affected universe fast charge more than once a day, and they also have all of the service information for the same universe, and none to just a few customers ever brought their cars in for service presenting the charging slowdown after multiple charges as an issue. The logic is why spend time, effort and expense to fix something that does not seem to be broken.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13890
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Rapidgate fixed

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:33 am

OrientExpress wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:rumor has it RapidGate fix for European market only because North American Market did not complain enough.


The US won't be receiving the European fix, mainly because Nissan has the charging data for all of the US fleet, and found that only a very small minority of 2018 cars that are part of the affected universe fast charge more than once a day, and they also have all of the service information for the same universe, and none to just a few customers ever brought their cars in for service presenting the charging slowdown after multiple charges as an issue. The logic is why spend time, effort and expense to fix something that does not seem to be broken.


What Nissan failed to quantify was the steps many of us took to help alleviate the issues which led to "better" statistics that Nissan chose to use.

Again another "no option" decision. Thank you Nissan for letting me decide what is best for me! :evil:
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SageBrush
Posts: 4274
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Rapidgate fixed

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:15 am

OrientExpress wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:rumor has it RapidGate fix for European market only because North American Market did not complain enough.


The US won't be receiving the European fix, mainly because Nissan has the charging data for all of the US fleet, and found that only a very small minority of 2018 cars that are part of the affected universe fast charge more than once a day, and they also have all of the service information for the same universe, and none to just a few customers ever brought their cars in for service presenting the charging slowdown after multiple charges as an issue. The logic is why spend time, effort and expense to fix something that does not seem to be broken.

If that was the "logic" they would issue a TSB, aka voluntary fix.

That is the excuse. I'll bet the reason is that the fix in non-cool climates is a BAD IDEA
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13890
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Rapidgate fixed

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:37 pm

SageBrush wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:rumor has it RapidGate fix for European market only because North American Market did not complain enough.


The US won't be receiving the European fix, mainly because Nissan has the charging data for all of the US fleet, and found that only a very small minority of 2018 cars that are part of the affected universe fast charge more than once a day, and they also have all of the service information for the same universe, and none to just a few customers ever brought their cars in for service presenting the charging slowdown after multiple charges as an issue. The logic is why spend time, effort and expense to fix something that does not seem to be broken.

If that was the "logic" they would issue a TSB, aka voluntary fix.

That is the excuse. I'll bet the reason is that the fix in non-cool climates is a BAD IDEA


That makes just as much sense as Nissan logic. I am penalized because of other people's climate issues...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stutech
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:38 am
Delivery Date: 28 May 2018
Leaf Number: 309018
Location: South Jordan, UT

Re: Rapidgate fixed

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:54 pm

I think we should all send some strongly worded letters to Nissan consumer Affairs expressing how this does affect us drivers in America as well. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the only way we’re going to get this update is by voicing concerns or someone getting a hack copy of the update. I for one will most definitely be telling Nissan how I feel when I get a Tesla model 3 in a couple months. I’ve just about had it with my 2018 sv, and all it’s issues nissan can’t seem to fix. For one the Nissan connect app that has not ever even once worked, even though I’ve called them several times on it. The other issue being this rapid gate problem, which also seems to happen for me in the Utah cold not just hot. Third of all my crazy battery percent that seems to go up and down in a span of 2 minutes while driving. The whole car feels like a rip off lemon lawsuit waiting to happen. I’ve reached out to Nissan various times to no avail, receiving canned responses on they have no timeline to fix my issue. I used to be a big Nissan fan and now I want nothing to do with them and am stuck with a car I disgust, and can’t easily get out of for a while. Okay rant over I’m just frustrated with their lack of response or care.
2019 Leaf SL Plus Scarlet Ember

User avatar
OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Rapidgate fixed

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:22 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:What Nissan failed to quantify was the steps many of us took to help alleviate the issues which led to "better" statistics that Nissan chose to use.

Again another "no option" decision. Thank you Nissan for letting me decide what is best for me! :evil:


The challenge for all of you that feel aggrieved is that the actual data does not support your argument. Nissan knows exactly how all of you quick charge, and how everyone else quick charges too, so No, they didn't fail to quantify your experiments because they were irrelevant in the larger data set of all 2018 LEAFs in the range of VINs. Each of you are just one data point weighed equally.

But what is relevant is that Nissan has the data that shows that of all the LEAFs in the VIN range do very few multiple daily quick charges. And they also know that an even smaller number of owners have gone to a dealer to have their car checked to see there is an issue with their car where multiple-daily charges are slower. On top of that Nissan has declared that this slowdown of charging is a part of an intentional battery longevity strategy to keep your car's battery from degrading.

Now, of this tiny group, how many of you took you car to a dealer to get your perceived problem logged?

As far as Nissan can tell, cars in the US don't have an issue with having a quick charge take a little longer than other quick charges, given that variability of charge times is a well established trait of quick charging.

Nissan does not think there is a major problem, they do know that some owners are miffed that QC's sometimes take longer, but they do know based on the data that the majority of their customers don't think it is a problem either.

So in the end, their battery safety strategy is working as designed, customers aren't seeing any issue, so what is there to fix?

Now it's obvious that some 2018 customers here on this forum think they have an issue, but other than complaining have nothing to build a case to support their argument, so if you think you have a case, build a good argument to support that case.

Now as disclosure, I have one of these early 2018 LEAFs, but in a year of driving the car, I've only encountered one QC session that was slightly longer than normal, so as far as I can tell there isn't an issue for me, and my LEAF is QC'd daily since there is a free quick charger a block from my house.

If Nissan decides to offer an update to make these edge case quick charge sessions 10-15 minutes faster, that will be fine, but it is not the end of the world if they don't.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

TexasLeaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 am
Delivery Date: 17 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303111
Location: Texas

Re: Rapidgate fixed

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:53 pm

I took my Leaf in once and I have talked to dealerships several times about the battery overheating, the slow charging and the software fix for the slow charging. Now it appears that the dealerships I talked to completely ignored my concerns and did not relay them to Nissan corporate. It looks like it’s now time to step up my game.

I’m going to call Nissan customer service directly and make sure they have all the communications I have had with the dealerships document and that Nissan is aware of the telematics on my Leaf. I had discussed taking the Leaf on long trips using the Electrify America stations with the dealerships when I leased the car but no one at the dealership said anything about the Leaf only being able to charge at a quarter of its rated 45 kW charging speed after the second charge. The news about Rapidgate didn’t come until after I took possession of the car.

I can understand having issues with a car that I have to live with, but to have my complaints go completely ignored is just too much. I like the Leaf and I don’t want to spend any more money on another car but I feel duped and betrayed by Nissan. All I can say is I’m very frustrated right and I want a way out (a way that doesn’t involve buying a Tesla).
2018 Leaf SL
2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
2007 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4X4

TexasLeaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 am
Delivery Date: 17 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303111
Location: Texas

Re: Rapidgate fixed

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:21 pm

OrientExpress wrote:
The challenge for all of you that feel aggrieved is that the actual data does not support your argument. Nissan knows exactly how all of you quick charge, and how everyone else quick charges too, so No, they didn't fail to quantify your experiments because they were irrelevant in the larger data set of all 2018 LEAFs in the range of VINs. Each of you are just one data point weighed equally.

But what is relevant is that Nissan has the data that shows that of all the LEAFs in the VIN range do very few multiple daily quick charges. And they also know that an even smaller number of owners have gone to a dealer to have their car checked to see there is an issue with their car where multiple-daily charges are slower. On top of that Nissan has declared that this slowdown of charging is a part of an intentional battery longevity strategy to keep your car's battery from degrading.

Now, of this tiny group, how many of you took you car to a dealer to get your perceived problem logged?

As far as Nissan can tell, cars in the US don't have an issue with having a quick charge take a little longer than other quick charges, given that variability of charge times is a well established trait of quick charging.

Nissan does not think there is a major problem, they do know that some owners are miffed that QC's sometimes take longer, but they do know based on the data that the majority of their customers don't think it is a problem either.

So in the end, their battery safety strategy is working as designed, customers aren't seeing any issue, so what is there to fix?

Now it's obvious that some 2018 customers here on this forum think they have an issue, but other than complaining have nothing to build a case to support their argument, so if you think you have a case, build a good argument to support that case.

Now as disclosure, I have one of these early 2018 LEAFs, but in a year of driving the car, I've only encountered one QC session that was slightly longer than normal, so as far as I can tell there isn't an issue for me, and my LEAF is QC'd daily since there is a free quick charger a block from my house.

If Nissan decides to offer an update to make these edge case quick charge sessions 10-15 minutes faster, that will be fine, but it is not the end of the world if they don't.


According to LeafSpy I have quickcharged more than 130 times. I have had the charging speed reduced because of battery temperature almost half of those times. I have had charging speeds go as low as 11 kW probably a dozen times.

I bought the 2018 Leaf with the longer range to take advantage of the Electrify America charging stations and I believe many around the country did the same. As the Electrify America stations get up and running, the issue with long trips and slow charging is just going to get worse. Spring is just two months away and with it much warmer weather that won’t help keep the battery packs cool.

Nissan is going to start getting a deluge of complaints once the weather warms up, especially if forums like this advocate to the members that we need to make sure Nissan is aware of our discontent. I for one am going to start logging every time charging speed is reduced because of battery temperature and start sharing that information with Nissan costumer service. If that doesn’t get their attention maybe selling the Leaf and buying something else will.
2018 Leaf SL
2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
2007 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4X4

User avatar
OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Rapidgate fixed

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:05 pm

In your dealings with you dealer service, did you just talk to someone, or did you leave the car and have it checked out that there was a service record?

As far as the telematics, they know all about your cars charging behavior and all the other cars too. That’s the data they used in making the decision they did.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

Return to “Batteries & Charging”