Please Help Me Interpret My LeafSpy Pro Results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcjetpilot

2015 Leaf SV, 29,000 miles and 4 years old since manufacture. I bought it used at 3 years old, last year. I had 12 bars but it went to 11 bars a month later. I just charged it from 20% to almost 100% (3,5 hours Level 2 timed charge).

Page 1
SOC = 97.3%
SOH = 8-.35 (am I really down 20%... I have 11 of 12 bars)
395.7 V
Gids 234
Ah = 48.56
12.96V

Page 3
Bat Sts:
Ahr-49.90
SOH = 80.35% 395.84V
Hx 63.24%
odo 28,565 mi
34 QCs (bought car used and have done 3 QC's)
1237 L1/L2
17mv differential
min.avg.max 4.116 4.122 4.133
Temp F = 69.3 69.4 66.4 (3.1 deg
12.88 V

Page 4
234 GIDs 83.3%
395.6V x -0.12A = -0.1kW
SOC 97/3%
18,1 kWh Remain

What do you think... Am I screwed. I get about 85-88 miles range at 100% charge with the guess-O-meter.

Second question what is the proper sequence to get the Blue Tooth to conenct... I seem to have to monkey around going back and forth to Android connections and the App... until I get it to connect. I have to leave the radio off to keep the BT from latching onto the radio...

Depends on what your mean by screwed. Yes you have lost a bar. Yes you are about 15-20% below a new battery. Yes, the prior owner picked the ideal time to sell the car. Will you qualify for a new battery under warrantee... depends on how you drive and how hot the climate where the car lives.

Does the car get you where you want to go? If so, then it is doing what you bought it to do.

gmcjetpilot said:
Bat Sts:
Ahr-49.90

New is somewhere in the range of 62 Ahr.
So yeah, ~ 20% range loss to date.

If by "screwed" you are asking if a warranty battery replacement is in your future, I'll guess that you miss it by about a year.
Ain't Nissan "engineering" great ?

stjohnh said:
Depends on what your mean by screwed. Yes you have lost a bar. Yes you are about 15-20% below a new battery. Yes, the prior owner picked the ideal time to sell the car. Will you qualify for a new battery under warrantee... depends on how you drive and how hot the climate where the car lives.

Does the car get you where you want to go? If so, then it is doing what you bought it to do.
My understanding is you need to get to 8 bars... I am at 11. My 5 year battery warranty will expire end of 2019. I suppose I could try and cook it... but no. Yes it does what I need (as a 2nd car). However it is marginal for more adventurous outings (like a solid 65 miles RT with lights, heat, AC). I try and get home with 20% or 20 miles. Also I need to fly on the freeway at least 60-65 mph to keep from getting run over.

I looked up the Leaf Battery degradation chart on the web. At 4 years I see 5% loss to 26% loss. The typical was about 10% to 15%. At 19,6% I guess I am on par. I didn't realize the previous owner did so many fast chargers (well 10 a year). I would think with 20% loss it would be less than 11 bars? Hummm wounder if Nissan played with the display?.

I can't see paying Nissan $7500 for another 24Kwhr battery pack... The 30 Kwhr packs are dying even faster. At 2.25 years the 30Kw pack is at 20% to 30% loss. Ouch. If they would offer a long lived large pack for for the 2015 Leaf for $7500 or less, I'd keep it. That is not going to happen. I had a good year and 9000 miles. I was very careful to never go to low SOC. To only charge to about 90% SOC most of the time, never leave it sitting fully charged... on and on. The damage was done before I got it. Looking at the chart for the long term about 7 or 8 years the car would be of little use for me... or in 3 to 4 years. I think she is going... By Lucy... you b***h.. Ha ha.

Time to sell. I got a good deal and should get what I had into it (not including tax,licence, transportation). It's a great car, but I am done with the EV for a while. If I need another I'll wait for some Chevy Bolt of Kia Kona (or gasp Tesla the Apple of Car companies, no thanks) to make used market. The other idea is DIY battery swap with a wreck/salvage Leaf... but you never know what you will get.

gmcjetpilot said:
I did not realize the previous owner did so many fast chargers (well 10 a year).
As you should have read thousands of times, climate is much more important.
The damage was done before I got it.
Actually, no. The 12th bar drops at ~ 53 Ahr so during your year of ownership the battery degraded 4 Ahr or about 6.5% on a linear basis

Unless a LEAF is bought CHEAP, it is a poor value in a warm climate.

I don't see how you could drop to 8 bars before the warranty expires, even in my hot climate. My 2015 is at 9 bars and 71,000 miles so it is not likely for you to lose 3 more bars in a year. Charge and drive the car as you need as long as range meets your requirements; 34 QCs is nothing to worry about.

SageBrush said:
gmcjetpilot said:
I did not realize the previous owner did so many fast chargers (well 10 a year).
As you should have read thousands of times, climate is much more important. Unless a LEAF is bought CHEAP, it is a poor value in a warm climate.
OH NOW YOU TELL ME... Ha ha. Yea I understand. The car was a San Diego car... not blistering hot but not cool. I live in the middle south and it gets over 90F many weeks in the summer. I work second shift and drove home late at night when temps were lower. I set it to charge early morning when temps were lowest... Active cooling and hate to say it the Tesla design is clearly better. The Bolt and Kona I believe are also active liquid cooled packs. The LEAF will fall behind unless they go to different pack and cooling...

gmcjetpilot said:
Active cooling and hate to say it the Tesla design is clearly better.
Night and day difference unless the car is in a cool climate. My LEAF's battery is doing OK (by LEAF standards anyway, losing about 1.5 Ahr a year) but my average annual average temperature is 57F. A warm climate is ~ 10C warmer and the battery degrades at ~ twice the rate.

So predicted Arrhenius 150 years ago and our LEAFs agree with him. He also calculated the greenhouse gas effect from CO2 to about the same accuracy.

gmcjetpilot said:
What do you think... Am I screwed. I get about 85-88 miles range at 100% charge with the guess-O-meter.

Second question what is the proper sequence to get the Blue Tooth to conenct... I seem to have to monkey around going back and forth to Android connections and the App... until I get it to connect. I have to leave the radio off to keep the BT from latching onto the radio...

Well only you can determine if you are screwed. Is it working for you? If so, then I suggest a piece of tape to cover up the GOM or better yet, get a separate phone to run LEAF Spy on and place it on dash over the GOM (this I do frequently)

As far as connecting BT. Your car shouldn't be interfering as the phone should be able to handle several BT connects. If the issue is there, you probably need to disable some of the functions on your OBD in BT profile.

I use a dedicated LS phone because its just easier along with fact that previous job, I had to use primary phone A LOT while driving.

But everytime I launch LS, I have to go in to select BT device which is strange since my phone only has the one saved device in BT profiles...

gmcjetpilot said:
stjohnh said:

My understanding is you need to get to 8 bars... I am at 11. My 5 year battery warranty will expire end of 2019. I suppose I could try and cook it... but no. Yes it does what I need (as a 2nd car). However it is marginal for more adventurous outings (like a solid 65 miles RT with lights, heat, AC). I try and get home with 20% or 20 miles. Also I need to fly on the freeway at least 60-65 mph to keep from getting run over.

I looked up the Leaf Battery degradation chart on the web. At 4 years I see 5% loss to 26% loss. The typical was about 10% to 15%. At 19,6% I guess I am on par. I didn't realize the previous owner did so many fast chargers (well 10 a year). I would think with 20% loss it would be less than 11 bars? Hummm wounder if Nissan played with the display?.

I can't see paying Nissan $7500 for another 24Kwhr battery pack... The 30 Kwhr packs are dying even faster. At 2.25 years the 30Kw pack is at 20% to 30% loss. Ouch. If they would offer a long lived large pack for for the 2015 Leaf for $7500 or less, I'd keep it. That is not going to happen. I had a good year and 9000 miles. I was very careful to never go to low SOC. To only charge to about 90% SOC most of the time, never leave it sitting fully charged... on and on. The damage was done before I got it. Looking at the chart for the long term about 7 or 8 years the car would be of little use for me... or in 3 to 4 years. I think she is going... By Lucy... you b***h.. Ha ha.

Time to sell. I got a good deal and should get what I had into it (not including tax,licence, transportation). It's a great car, but I am done with the EV for a while. If I need another I'll wait for some Chevy Bolt of Kia Kona (or gasp Tesla the Apple of Car companies, no thanks) to make used market. The other idea is DIY battery swap with a wreck/salvage Leaf... but you never know what you will get.

It took a LOT of searching but finally found one in your neighborhood and based on the comments, YOU would be at fault... :roll: But then again, it is Texas

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roadcam/comments/9hbqzz/usa_driver_plows_into_slowermoving_car/

Back