DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:33 pm

That explains it. Guessing the midpoint on the display is 6 Bars from the earlier leaf.

Still surprised they didn’t have an actuator run the AC over the battery as a setting. Seems like that would be easy to do.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14030
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:28 am

OrientExpress wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:Ok, was hoping to have more but apparently its so new, most Nissan service advisors have not heard of it but a RapidGate fix for NA now exists. Due to my tech (if you know the area you know why I will wait for him) leaving on vacation at noon today, I won't get the update until Aug 1st. The wait will be torturous.
I reached out to Nissan this morning to get more information on this, and here is the response I received from Jeff Wandell from Nissan's Product and Technology Communications:

"I can confirm that a software update that reduced the quick charging safeguards was offered to customers in Europe. We’re currently investigating offering the software in the U.S. for 2018 – 2019 40 kWh LEAFs but have nothing to announce at this time.
As things progress forward, I’ll let you know of any changes".

Sorry but no cigar, at least I got Nissan to say that they were investigating offering it to US customers, but there isn't any basis that there is an update today.
Keep reaching. Try mentioning "EL19-018 and reference NTB19-056; “2018-2019 LEAF; LITHIUM-ION BATTERY WILL NOT QUICK CHARGE.”
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SageBrush
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:29 am

2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14030
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:31 am

lorenfb wrote: Link please.
So all the years of Leaf heat related analyzes of degradation noted on MNL resulted in misguided inferences, right?
Yes, Nissan did make some slight improvements in the Leaf's battery tolerance to heat over the years, but hardly
overwhelming or minimizing one's concern for Leaf battery heat. You've never kept any of your Leafs long enough
to really see any significant heat related degradation, besides living in the PNW provides a poor sample base location
for heat related effects.
We have been over this a million times and your response has not changed. What is your explanation of people IN THE NORTHWEST who had accelerated degradation? Some of them lived less than 20 miles from me?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorenfb
Posts: 2240
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:49 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
lorenfb wrote: Link please.
So all the years of Leaf heat related analyzes of degradation noted on MNL resulted in misguided inferences, right?
Yes, Nissan did make some slight improvements in the Leaf's battery tolerance to heat over the years, but hardly
overwhelming or minimizing one's concern for Leaf battery heat. You've never kept any of your Leafs long enough
to really see any significant heat related degradation, besides living in the PNW provides a poor sample base location
for heat related effects.
We have been over this a million times and your response has not changed. What is your explanation of people IN THE NORTHWEST who had accelerated degradation? Some of them lived less than 20 miles from me?
There're other factors that contribute to degradation besides heat, remember? Although heat is the dominant one.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

SageBrush
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:19 am

lorenfb wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
lorenfb wrote: Link please.
So all the years of Leaf heat related analyzes of degradation noted on MNL resulted in misguided inferences, right?
Yes, Nissan did make some slight improvements in the Leaf's battery tolerance to heat over the years, but hardly
overwhelming or minimizing one's concern for Leaf battery heat. You've never kept any of your Leafs long enough
to really see any significant heat related degradation, besides living in the PNW provides a poor sample base location
for heat related effects.
We have been over this a million times and your response has not changed. What is your explanation of people IN THE NORTHWEST who had accelerated degradation? Some of them lived less than 20 miles from me?
There're other factors that contribute to degradation besides heat, remember? Although heat is the dominant one.
Exactly.

This is the problem with people who live by anecdotes.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:40 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Keep reaching. Try mentioning "EL19-018 and reference NTB19-056; “2018-2019 LEAF; LITHIUM-ION BATTERY WILL NOT QUICK CHARGE.”
I have done just that.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:12 am

I reached out again to Nissan about this, and this time I received this reply:

"I apologize as I know this is different information than I recently provided you. At this point yes, I can confirm that Nissan has released a software update for early 2018-2019 LEAF customers with a 40kWh battery in the U.S. and Canada to update quick charging software. This update allows for faster charging during multiple quick charging sessions. Customers can visit their local Nissan dealership to confirm if they’re vehicle requires an update and schedule one if needed."

So good, This will certainly placate those that feel that this is a big deal. Congratulations to all.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

lorenfb
Posts: 2240
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:39 am

OrientExpress wrote:I reached out again to Nissan about this, and this time I received this reply:

So good, This will certainly placate those that feel that this is a big deal. Congratulations to all.
Right. So those new to a Leaf and how heat affects battery degradation can additionally accelerate long term degradation
now with the firmware update. And the lemmings will surely follow!
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

danrjones
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:43 am

I wonder if I should get the update next time I'm going in for service? I only use my leaf for commuting and in town, so I have never fast charged. I feel bad for those who are effected by rapid charge issues but I knew going in about that as a limitation so I never planned to even use it that way.

I've never had a issue with heat yet, and we are as hot as any place except Phoenix. (Degradation aside)

So far this summer I regularly see the temp guage in the center and then one bar above center, but it is what it is. I can get the exact temps if I want via Leaf Spy but I'm not sure if its worth bothering. So far I haven't had any issues with LVL2 charging at night nor the car getting grumpy during the heat of the day,

Now I'm sure its not good on the long term health of the battery but I got such a good deal on the car it doesn't matter. It should stay healthy enough for a good few years of life and then I'll trade it in. If I had paid out of my pocket the ridiculous MSRP then I'd probably be paranoid over the slow drop in my SOH.

The only thing I've noticed with the heat is the AC lowering my efficiency, which I would expect.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

Return to “Batteries & Charging”