Level 3 Progress - 1,2, & 3 at ChargePoint

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

This is great news for Leafers!

The Japanese level 3 charging standard is ~400V DC using a system developed by Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO). TEPCO, Nissan, and other companies formed the CHAdeMO organization to make the TEPCO system the world-wide level 3 quick charge standard. One of the members of CHAdeMO is US company Aker Wade Power Technologies - and they've joined with Coulomb Technologies and their ChargePoint network to provide level 1, 2, and 3 charging.

http://www.nctcog.org/trans/air/programs/evnt/CoulombandAkerWadePower.pdf

January 12, 2010

Coulomb Technologies and Aker Wade Power Technologies today announced an agreement to deploy Level III networked fast charging stations for electric vehicles worldwide. The Level III charging stations will be capable of fully charging battery electric vehicles in less than thirty minutes. The Level III fast charging stations will be co-developed, distributed, marketed and supported by both companies. Designed in accordance with the TEPCO Level III specifications the charger will be qualified for use with several electric vehicle brands including the Nissan Leaf and the Mitsubishi i-Miev.

[edit] TEPCO not= Toyota)

garygid said:
Seems like a good step toward establishing an unofficial Level 3 EV fast-charging "standard" in the US, right?

I think so, Gary. My gut says that we won't see any hardware on the streets until after the SAE ratifies the standard in late June - but this prep work should allow them to 'hit the ground running' when we want chargers.

Any ideas or references to the most recent / current proposals for the Level 3 Quick-Charging in the USA?

How about a good technical description the L3 standard that is "in use" (planned?) in Japan?

Perhaps a CAN bus is used for communications between the vehicle and the charger, or possibly another method is used.

In any case, the command formats, handshaking, error detection, security, redundancy, etc. should be well described in some English-language document.

Any references?

AndyH said:

The Japanese level 3 charging standard is ~400V DC using a system developed by Toyota Electric Power (TEPCO). TEPCO, Nissan, and other companies formed the CHAdeMO ...
YES! It is great news :) ... but minor detail ... but just so no one thinks Toyota is directly involved in this. "TEPCO" is Tokyo Electric Power Company.

Edit: I just joined this forum.
Trying to "catch up" with the huge amount of useful info! So, pardon me if I have not yet "discovered" a link like this, apparently the FIRST PUBLIC TEPCO in USA, and if this ends up as a duplicate (sorry, in advance). (And, OBVIOUSLY, THANKS! to EVNut.)

LEAFer said:
AndyH said:

The Japanese level 3 charging standard is ~400V DC using a system developed by Toyot Electric Power (TEPCO). TEPCO, Nissan, and other companies formed the CHAdeMO ...
YES! It is great news :) ... but minor detail ... but just so no one thinks Toyota is directly involved in this. "TEPCO" is Tokyo Electric Power Company.

Thanks! Corrected in post 1. Gotta stop typing 'TEPCO' while listening to the radio about another Toyota recall... :?

Back